follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2023, 02:06 PM   #29
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
When replacing the front cover, other than the crank/op seal, what else do I need?

I'm guessing everything else will get transferred from the old cover.

I would recommend new o rings for the cam position sensors. 2 of mine (both bottom) started leaking with the new front cover
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (05-24-2023), Ultramaroon (05-24-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 07:22 AM   #30
fableluke

Drives: BLue 2013 frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Any updates on this? Been having low oil pressure issues as well. Cant seem to figure it out. Had a shop go through the motor and replace mains and rod bearings. Shop couldn’t find anything bad that has to do with oil pressure. I had the front timing cover replaced and get the reimax oil pump installed. Still bad oil pressure=(, at this point im only thinking about the cam sprockets. Could those cause bad oil pressure? I sometimes hear this extra rattle or tapping noise on BANK 2 near the high pressure fuel pump.
fableluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 08:53 AM   #31
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fableluke View Post
Any updates on this? Been having low oil pressure issues as well. Cant seem to figure it out. Had a shop go through the motor and replace mains and rod bearings. Shop couldn’t find anything bad that has to do with oil pressure. I had the front timing cover replaced and get the reimax oil pump installed. Still bad oil pressure=(, at this point im only thinking about the cam sprockets. Could those cause bad oil pressure? I sometimes hear this extra rattle or tapping noise on BANK 2 near the high pressure fuel pump.
No update yet. This week, my engine guy is on vacation (great timing for me (LOL)). I'm headed to his shop next week for him to install the new timing cover.

I've got my new timing cover. It may not help but I'm going to do a little porting. I'm going to use the stock pump.

I'm guessing that you verified the accuracy your op gauge? I haven't heard of the cam sprockets being implicated in low op. Were the "O"ring for the timing cover replaced?
blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:17 AM   #32
fableluke

Quote:
No update yet. This week, my engine guy is on vacation (great timing for me (LOL)). I'm headed to his shop next week for him to install the new timing cover.

I've got my new timing cover. It may not help but I'm going to do a little porting. I'm going to use the stock pump.

I'm guessing that you verified the accuracy your op gauge? I haven't heard of the cam sprockets being implicated in low op. Were the "O"ring for the timing cover replaced?
Ahh unlucky. Front timing is prtty easy to install, honestly.

Yes, i purchased a mechanical pressure tester and verified my oil pressure. Its still like under or around 5psi psi when hot. =( shoot i remember seeing an old post a few days ago from AVOturbos that stated something about oil pressure those little plates behind or something close to that. Ill try to find it later today. Thanks for the reply!

Edit: i think the shop put in new o rings. They charged me for a engine gasket kit
Old 06-15-2023, 12:09 PM   #33
blsfrs

Quote:

Yes, i purchased a mechanical pressure tester and verified my oil pressure. Its still like under or around 5psi psi when hot. =( shoot i remember seeing an old post a few days ago from AVOturbos that stated something about oil pressure those little plates behind or something close to that. Ill try to find it later today. Thanks for the reply!

Edit: i think the shop put in new o rings. They charged me for a engine gasket kit
5 psi is crazy low. What were the events leading up to the loss of pressure?
Old 06-15-2023, 01:47 PM   #34
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

What are you running for oil? I see 5-7psi at idle when hot with 0-20. I am running a switch with the GJP box to force fans on full when I pull off track and usually kick them on during my cool down lap and it helps.
blsfrs (06-15-2023), fableluke (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 02:17 AM   #35
fableluke

Quote:
5 psi is crazy low. What were the events leading up to the loss of pressure?
Honestly no idea. Motor had like 3k on it when i noticed. The shop did say the cams were some scoring but i felt that was those were effects of the low oil pressure, not the cause. I wish i noticed it or monitored my oil pressure more often.
The Following User Says Thank You to fableluke For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 02:19 AM   #36
fableluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
What are you running for oil? I see 5-7psi at idle when hot with 0-20. I am running a switch with the GJP box to force fans on full when I pull off track and usually kick them on during my cool down lap and it helps.
Unfortunately, I’m running a thicker oiler, 10-40 motul break in. The shop replaced the pistons cause they said my bores were too big for them so yea got some othersized pistons along with them boring and honing the block. So im back to babying the motor again to bed in the rings

This is good info. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2023, 08:22 AM   #37
blsfrs

Quote:
Unfortunately, I’m running a thicker oiler, 10-40 motul break in. The shop replaced the pistons cause they said my bores were too big for them so yea got some othersized pistons along with them boring and honing the block. So im back to babying the motor again to bed in the rings

This is good info. Thanks!
What is the highest op that you see? (ie 4000-7000rpm)

"The bores were too big". Was this the oem engine?
Old 06-16-2023, 12:54 PM   #38
fableluke

Quote:
What is the highest op that you see? (ie 4000-7000rpm)

"The bores were too big". Was this the oem engine?
The first time i noticed bad OP was when i was doing a pull and past 5K i saw it bounce around 45psi but no higher than that, i backed off after i saw that. I do get 100psi Op on cold starts but 1-2 minutes it would be dropping to 60-70psi when the oil is around maybe 90-100F only. Meh i dont really want to bring my car to the shop since its about 40miles away. Driving with 1-5psi op i feel is kinda risky.

A little frustrating the shop is asking me to drive the car back but the 1st time i dropped off the bare longblock for them to inspect and find any oiling issues. Maybe im just a noob but wouldnt a machine/auto shop find obvious signs of oiling issues if they went through the entire longblock? They asked me to take it back running to check all of that. But hey maybe im salty i forked over 4k and my low op issues is still there.

No i believe its an IAG block. I bought it off a buddy for a good deal but he said might have issues. Its why i wanted a shop to inspect it.

Edit: found that old post about that cam sprocket intake plate thing and oil pressure. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=1802327

Last edited by fableluke; 06-16-2023 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:39 PM   #39
blsfrs

Quote:
The first time i noticed bad OP was when i was doing a pull and past 5K i saw it bounce around 45psi but no higher than that, i backed off after i saw that. I do get 100psi Op on cold starts but 1-2 minutes it would be dropping to 60-70psi when the oil is around maybe 90-100F only. Meh i dont really want to bring my car to the shop since its about 40miles away. Driving with 1-5psi op i feel is kinda risky.

A little frustrating the shop is asking me to drive the car back but the 1st time i dropped off the bare longblock for them to inspect and find any oiling issues. Maybe im just a noob but wouldnt a machine/auto shop find obvious signs of oiling issues if they went through the entire longblock? They asked me to take it back running to check all of that. But hey maybe im salty i forked over 4k and my low op issues is still there.

No i believe its an IAG block. I bought it off a buddy for a good deal but he said might have issues. Its why i wanted a shop to inspect it.

Edit: found that old post about that cam sprocket intake plate thing and oil pressure. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=1802327
Did the shop give you a build sheet with bearing clearances?
I wonder if they checked the oil pickup screen?

After talking to the shop, the car will probably need to be trailered or taken on a flatbed back to the shop.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:20 PM   #40
fableluke

Quote:
Did the shop give you a build sheet with bearing clearances?
I wonder if they checked the oil pickup screen?

After talking to the shop, the car will probably need to be trailered or taken on a flatbed back to the shop.
They did check the pickup tube. Its an aftermarket one. A killerbee pickup tube. They said that it might be too long.

Great, i forgot they didnt fill out the bearing clearances….well ill have to ask about that
Old 06-17-2023, 10:56 AM   #41
blsfrs

Quote:
They did check the pickup tube. Its an aftermarket one. A killerbee pickup tube. They said that it might be too long.

Great, i forgot they didnt fill out the bearing clearances….well ill have to ask about that
For a short time, @KillerBMotorsports had a problem with their oil pick up tubes being the wrong length. They have since corrected the problem, but you may have one of the older tubes. You might give them a call or email.

It also begs the question: What did the shop do about it?
Old 06-18-2023, 03:59 AM   #42
fableluke

Quote:
For a short time, @KillerBMotorsports had a problem with their oil pick up tubes being the wrong length. They have since corrected the problem, but you may have one of the older tubes. You might give them a call or email.

It also begs the question: What did the shop do about it?
I told the shop to cut/grind it shorter for more clearances if need be, but they measured it and said it was actually fine. Might just pull the oil pan and slap on the OEM really quick, or grind down the Killerb one myself. Haven't decided what to do yet. It's not my daily, so it's not immediate need, just a huge want lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to fableluke For This Useful Post:
blsfrs (06-18-2023)