follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #925
Jason@Nameless

Drives: '88 BMW 535is Turbo
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Old muffler to new muffler - almost identical in terms of sound, within a 2% difference. Overpipe downpipe, we'll be testing here shortly and have a good opportunity to test it on a stock vehicle as well to compare it directly to the 2.5" version we have been testing with. Give us a week or so and I'll have actual numbers. Sound wise, the larger overpipe downpipe makes a LOT more noise from what we can tell. A few more tests to go to validate all of this.

As for the flange...well....move along, nothing to see here.

Jason
Jason@Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason@Nameless For This Useful Post:
ill86 (02-01-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #926
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Nameless View Post
Sound wise, the larger overpipe downpipe makes a LOT more noise from what we can tell.
Dammit.

Quote:
I need more than that.

Thanks a bunch Jason!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #927
GremlinGSP

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
any ideas on the weight of it?
GremlinGSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #928
Fenrir

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Old muffler to new muffler - almost identical in terms of sound, within a 2% difference. Overpipe downpipe, we'll be testing here shortly and have a good opportunity to test it on a stock vehicle as well to compare it directly to the 2.5" version we have been testing with. Give us a week or so and I'll have actual numbers. Sound wise, the larger overpipe downpipe makes a LOT more noise from what we can tell. A few more tests to go to validate all of this.

Jason
Any idea how the header plays out with the early-adopter exhausts?

I'd really hate for there to big a significant difference in the current developments over the ones we picked up last year.
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #929
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
If we sell slowly and don't flood the market, we should still get reasonably good resale price.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #930
Fenrir

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
If we sell slowly and don't flood the market, we should still get reasonably good resale price.
So that means it'll be no good with the header? That's pretty disappointing. I was assured when I bought it that it would be the best option for when the header was finally released.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:55 PM   #931
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
So that means it'll be no good with the header? That's pretty disappointing. I was assured when I bought it that it would be the best option for when the header was finally released.
I didn't say that. I was just saying if we "upgrade" we shouldn't sell all at once or we all lose.

We'll probably be fine.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #932
Jason@Nameless

Garage
This header will bolt right up to our existing exhaust. No problem. Seriously guys, if you heard this thing at full 3" you'd hang on to the parts that you have in hand right now. It's ballistic. Of course, you throw a turbo in there and the 3" will quiet down substantially. Again, that is why we designed the 3" system was primarily to use for forced induction. We are curious to see how it will perform but I doubt there are 5% of the owners out there who would daily drive this exhaust - it's nice and sweet at idle, but crack the throttle and it'll scare children off the sidewalks.

Again, this header will bolt right up to the 2.5" overpipe/downpipe combo, same outlet location, etc - that is why we have the v-band in the pic is to do differential testing between the two.

Jason
Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #933
Jason@Nameless

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinGSP View Post
any ideas on the weight of it?
Honestly, no clue. Probably lighter than the stock unit though. This one has a bunch of extra flanges in it for testing. While at least one of those will be available optionally as a matter of design, none of them are necessary.

J
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #934
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I didn't say that. I was just saying if we "upgrade" we shouldn't sell all at once or we all lose.

We'll probably be fine.
Or they could do a Stage1 (early designs?) that integrates well with the conventional axle-back ( @Tainen 's setup). And this would be a Stage2 header to go with a Stage2 (new gen) exhaust.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #935
Jason@Nameless

Garage
Quote:

I'd really hate for there to big a significant difference in the current developments over the ones we picked up last year.
I'm going to answer this again just for good measure - not a chance, our goal is to design around our existing system designs. The 3" stuff really is targeted at full race cars where decibels have absolutely no factory in decision making or turbocharged cars that want a 3" exhaust and have the additional muffling capacity provided by the turbocharger.

We're not by any means interested in a) screwing over our customer base or b) developing outside of the range of constraints that 99% of our customers have made very clear (the main constraint being reasonable sound levels).

Jason
Old 02-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #936
Fenrir

Garage
Quote:
This header will bolt right up to our existing exhaust. No problem. Seriously guys, if you heard this thing at full 3" you'd hang on to the parts that you have in hand right now. It's ballistic. Of course, you throw a turbo in there and the 3" will quiet down substantially. Again, that is why we designed the 3" system was primarily to use for forced induction. We are curious to see how it will perform but I doubt there are 5% of the owners out there who would daily drive this exhaust - it's nice and sweet at idle, but crack the throttle and it'll scare children off the sidewalks.

Again, this header will bolt right up to the 2.5" overpipe/downpipe combo, same outlet location, etc - that is why we have the v-band in the pic is to do differential testing between the two.

Jason
Thanks! Any idea on power differences? Currently, with my build goals, sound isn't really a consideration, I'm looking for maximum gains possible. I'm really only planning headers, exhaust, and tune for my build (for power, anyway), so I want to eek as much power out of the combination as I can. I fully trust you guys to find that peak combination on this car, I just hope I don't have to start over to reach it.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #937
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Or they could do a Stage1 (early designs?) that integrates well with the conventional axle-back ( @Tainen 's setup). And this would be a Stage2 header to go with a Stage2 (new gen) exhaust.
The flanges are located the same. I'm mainly interested if there's significant power differences. If there are...well, my shit's probably for sale. Though as brought up in another thread, a 3" downpipe is kind of a waste if a 3" overpipe can't be fit.

Got any vids @Jason@Nameless? I want to know what ballistic is to you...
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Fenrir (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #938
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Jason
Flange is for testing different collectors and lengths?

(and turbo placement?)

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag