follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2018, 02:40 AM   #1
Waffle86

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help Me Choose an Exhaust!

At a certain point sound clips on YouTube all start to sound too similar, and it's difficult to actually comprehend how loud certain setups are.

Anyone in the Portland/Vancouver area have one of the following setups I could check out to hear in person?

MXP Comp RS CBE w/ stock everything else
MXP Comp RS w/ UEL headers
Invidia N1 w/ stock everything else
Invidia N1 w/ UEL headers
Muffler Delete w/ stock everything else
Muffler Delete w/ UEL headers

Looking for a loud but tolerable, deep toned exhaust with no rasp. Eventually planning to get UEL headers, but curious what it will sound like with just a catback or axelback until I can afford (justify to the wife) $1000+ for a header and OFT. I daily my car but commute less than 10 miles round-trip so not too concerned with drone/fatigue - although I am curious just how droney some of these are in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Personally, I would go with the headers first. They will make some exhausts almost unbearably loud, and the only one with headers (IMO) that sounds even remotely good out of your three picks is the MXP. I would definitely be widening the search.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
15limited (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Same as above. A cheap muffler delete can get you by until you save up for a header. I wouldn't recommend the N1 or muffler delete with an aftermarket header tho.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If you interested I posted instragam videos of Just nameless Axleback and then UEL headers + nameless axleback(dyno video). I am in Seattle if you're ever up here I could give you a in person demo. Adding the Headers made the axleback significantly louder for sure. my insta is e1_44. The nameless axleback alone sounds really good.
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Same as above, I've got the nameless axleback with 4" mufflers and gruppe S uel header and catless front pipe. Cold starts are unbearable but warm idle is quite, WOT is angry and on/off throttle and deacceleea tion gets you some rumble and cracks with the right tune.

Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
Micmac

Drives: Fr-s snowflake white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I will second the sound of a trackpipe/muffler delete with stock exhaust manifold. I thought it was about perfect until I added the Tomei catless uel. Now it sounds even better, but just too loud on a longer drive. But it's cheap, and you can sell it when you add your header. It also installs in 5 minutes with two bolts and saves 23# off the car. I just ordered my Nameless muffled track pipe. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited by Micmac; 03-22-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Are you going with a catless header?

I would go with the header before anything. A catless header will make whatever setup you are running pretty loud. I am running a Nameless header, Nameless catted front pipe, and the stock cat back. It is as loud, if not louder then when I was running just a 3" Perrin catback. It sounds like shit though.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #8
johan

Drives: '14 981CS, '99 NB1
Thanked 1,201 Times in 631 Posts
Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micmac View Post
I will second the sound of a trackpipe/muffler delete with stock exhaust manifold. I thought it was about perfect until I added the Tomei catless uel. Now it sounds even better, but just too loud on longer driver. But it's cheap, and you can sell it when you add your header. It also installs in 5 minutes with two bolts and saves 23# off the car. I just ordered my Nameless muffled track pipe. We'll see how that goes.
I had this exact setup on my '15 FR-S (Tomei UEL / Nameless muffled track pipe). It's still too loud on long trips. I had to give it up... I still do miss that ragey sound it made when you get on it.

My current exhaust setup sounds terrible (Tomei UEL + stock '17 everything else, amplified by having a blower forcing even more air through it).
johan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #9
Ragua007

Drives: 86
Garage
I have a totally different setup then everyone so far with the JDL catless UEL header with their 2.5” catted downpipe and midpipe to the Perrin 3” catback. I get compliments all the time how good it sounds. Loud on startup but unless I’m going WOT, it’s generally pretty quiet and no drone at all. I’ve had it setup this way for over two years and I’m still super happy with it.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:30 PM   #10
Waffle86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15limited View Post
Same as above, I've got the nameless axleback with 4" mufflers and gruppe S uel header and catless front pipe. Cold starts are unbearable but warm idle is quite, WOT is angry and on/off throttle and deacceleea tion gets you some rumble and cracks with the right tune.

I checked out @Elliotw's video. Sounds pretty good. if you're close would you be down to meet up so I can hear it in person?

Quote:
I will second the sound of a trackpipe/muffler delete with stock exhaust manifold. I thought it was about perfect until I added the Tomei catless uel. Now it sounds even better, but just too loud on longer driver. But it's cheap, and you can sell it when you add your header. It also installs in 5 minutes with two bolts and saves 23# off the car. I just ordered my Nameless muffled track pipe. We'll see how that goes.
If you are local and are still running that muffler delete setup. I'm still curious to hear it in person. $225 for the Greddy Remark Muffler Delete is a steal but if i'm gonna wind up selling it when I get a header maybe its better to just bite the bullet and buy a catback/axelback now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragua007 View Post
I have a totally different setup then everyone so far with the JDL catless UEL header with their 2.5” catted downpipe and midpipe to the Perrin 3” catback. I get compliments all the time how good it sounds. Loud on startup but unless I’m going WOT, it’s generally pretty quiet and no drone at all. I’ve had it setup this way for over two years and I’m still super happy with it.
Well I know you're local after spotting you at Grand Central! You down to meet up so I can hear it? I've heard the Perrin CBE on its own but its not loud enough for my liking, so I'm curious what its like with UEL headers.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #11
Micmac

Drives: Fr-s snowflake white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nameless muffler delete is $95. Or $50 if you pick it up used. I'm down in the Eugene, but will ping u next time I'm in Portlandia so u can hear the goodness. I will probably have swapped out the track pipe by the next time I'm in town though.
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:29 AM   #12
Waffle86

Quote:
Nameless muffler delete is $95. Or $50 if you pick it up used. I'm down in the Eugene, but will ping u next time I'm in Portlandia so u can hear the goodness. I will probably have swapped out the track pipe by the next time I'm in town though.

I'm assuming you're talking about their track pipe? I'm more interested in a dual exit which is $550 new if going with nameless, so basically the same price as MXP CBE or slightly cheaper than the N1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #13
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Garage
If you go catless headers go Invidia Q300. Before catless headers go with the N1.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #14
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Catless with resonated front pipe and perrin resonated 3 inch - horrible
Catless with resonated front pipe and perrin resonated 2.5 inch - Not too bad. STill loud. NO drone.

am digging that CSG MXP exhaust note though.
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote