follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #43
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
OK, I verified that on Datazap. Hmm, I thought maybe you were on the stock MAP sensor and was getting bad data because of its limitations.

I wish you had another sensor to verify the reading. If the 20mm belt has a 90mm pulley then have you run your car with that pulley? If so, do you have a datalog? If not, would it be worth trying? If you can then you could verify things.

Hmmm man, I am at my wit's end.

I personally never ran the 90mm pulley setup that came with the kit, so no logs to compare to.

I remeasured the 30mm pulley set along with verifying dimensions for the c30-94 and everything is exactly what should be a 9 psi pulley set. At this point I am either pulling the kit and selling it, switching to e85 with the upgraded injectors I have available, or figuring out a reasonable way to reduce boost.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #44
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Also to me it looks ok the boost
the IAT is not so high and when ambient temperature goes lower, it s easy to reach a lot higher boost
Also 30/30 of cam timing at high rpm will provoke this, i keep them lower

Anyway just keep lower limiter, it s kind of irresponsable to reach more than 7500rpm on 91oct with high boost
And fix the lean afr doing what steve said and asking your tuner to stop maxing out the PI

I usually don't rev past 7200 anyway, but maybe I can get the tuner to move it so it doesn't go more than that. I haven't heard back from Bill yet, but when I do I'll bring up some of the concerns to address.

Most of these pulls were done I think around 40-50 F so it definitely wasn't super warm.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:49 AM   #45
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZSer View Post
Yup, here is my log : https://datazap.me/u/brzser/log-1574...g=0&data=14-26

It was with Tomei uel header. At 7200 rpm I'm seeing a manifold pressure of 27.49 which is around 12.79 psi. It was also leaning out just like OP mention (later figured O2 sensor was possibly busted which caused the very high AFR)

With stock header on: https://datazap.me/u/brzser/log-1574...data=4-5-14-26

Manifold pressure shows 24.5 psi which is around 9.8 psi at 7200 RPM.

Also this FRS is running the Kraftwerk c30 supercharger with stock pulley, and I'm sure of that lol.

My brz has a turbo and pretty sure I can tell the difference, haha.

Super strange that we have a similar result, especially considering that all you changed was going back to the stock header.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #46
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
I usually don't rev past 7200 anyway, but maybe I can get the tuner to move it so it doesn't go more than that. I haven't heard back from Bill yet, but when I do I'll bring up some of the concerns to address.

Most of these pulls were done I think around 40-50 F so it definitely wasn't super warm.

Just to make you think about the influence of IAT on boost, during summer with 30+ Celsius i get 0.86-0.87 bar of boost from my unrestricted hks V2
in winter under 10 Celsius i get more than 1 Bar

you get a more stable boost only with turbo, or with a restriction in front of the supercharger's charger
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #47
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Just to make you think about the influence of IAT on boost, during summer with 30+ Celsius i get 0.86-0.87 bar of boost from my unrestricted hks V2

you get a more stable boost only with turbo, or with a restriction in front of the supercharger's charger

So if the lean condition is taken care of, and the revs don't peak at 7500 constantly, is this still safe to run or should I be looking into ways to drop boost levels?
Old 02-13-2020, 10:21 AM   #48
tomm.brz

if it doesn't knock... it's ok
I keep lower revs with 95ron fuel (your 91 oct) because that s just too much boost for me for that fuel
your main problem is the lean afr
Old 02-13-2020, 10:26 AM   #49
captain awesome
Wears Pants

I do a lot of autocross and quite a few track days, so I just want to be at a reliable power level with the benefit of not melting stuff. I don't want to go e85 just due to spending too much time searching for stations that have it available. I did that last year, but it was irritating. So it's either 91 or e85 for me.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #50
tomm.brz

e85 would be a lot safer at high rpm, with the benefit of the huge power bump you'd get
but then you need a flex sensor, fuel pump upgrade and bigger fuel injectors (that would also fix your lean issue though)
Old 02-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #51
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
I personally never ran the 90mm pulley setup that came with the kit, so no logs to compare to.

I remeasured the 30mm pulley set along with verifying dimensions for the c30-94 and everything is exactly what should be a 9 psi pulley set. At this point I am either pulling the kit and selling it, switching to e85 with the upgraded injectors I have available, or figuring out a reasonable way to reduce boost.
You could totally run a flex fuel kit, larger injectors and e85 and be super happy you did. What size injectors do you have? E85 felt like a dropped to a smaller pulley or about the difference between having and not have a supercharger at low boost, meaning there are major gains to be seen.

At this point, you are dangerously lean on the top end, and you are straining the port injectors in general. The port injector duration is not ideal, which means you have to run larger injectors; if you want to run E85 too then that is a separate thing.

Also, did you always have the Ace headers, or did you recently add them and the catless front pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZSer View Post
Both of those logs I posted are from the Supercharged FRS.

One with First one was with Tomei UEL, second one with stock header with cat......

I own both cars Supercharged FRS, and a Turbo BRZ.
I'm focusing on the supercharged FRS which those two logs are from.
Who is tuning your car? Are those logs with the same tune or with different tunes?
Old 02-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #52
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
I do a lot of autocross and quite a few track days, so I just want to be at a reliable power level with the benefit of not melting stuff. I don't want to go e85 just due to spending too much time searching for stations that have it available. I did that last year, but it was irritating. So it's either 91 or e85 for me.
Just fyi, I use to fit six 5-gallon jugs in my trunk (before OEM Audio Plus sub install). With the rear seat folded down, I could probably fit another four 5-gallon jugs at least, but that is 30 gallons of E85 that I stored at the house because the closest E85 is 25 miles away (a new station is coming online this year within two miles of my house!), but I don't drive my car much, so that 30 gallons (plus a full tank of E85) lasts like three months in the summer, and at 50/50 in the winter, it lasts around 5-6 months.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #53
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
You could totally run a flex fuel kit, larger injectors and e85 and be super happy you did. What size injectors do you have? E85 felt like a dropped to a smaller pulley or about the difference between having and not have a supercharger at low boost, meaning there are major gains to be seen.

At this point, you are dangerously lean on the top end, and you are straining the port injectors in general. The port injector duration is not ideal, which means you have to run larger injectors; if you want to run E85 too then that is a separate thing.

Also, did you always have the Ace headers, or did you recently add them and the catless front pipe?

Who is tuning your car? Are those logs with the same tune or with different tunes?

Stock injectors right now, but the kit I bought used came with some Deatschwerks ones that I believe to be 700cc. Not sure how to confirm that yet though, and as of right now they aren't installed.

Untitled by hatchethairy, on Flickr

Untitled by hatchethairy, on Flickr

Before installing the Kraftwerks kit I was running a Tsudo UEL header/up pipe, Hooker catless front pipe, OFT tablet on e85. When I installed the Kraftwerks kit I added in the ACE A350 header at the same time.

So to be clear:

I bought a used Kraftwerks c30-94 kit that had the 20mm wide pulley set with 90mm SC pulley(I didn't even realize this until I started this thread).

One of the idler bearings had some play in it, so I bought a new set of the 30mm pulley/belt upgrade before ever installing the kit.

The only thing that doesn't match what Kraftwerks would have sent with a full new kit is the Tial QRJ recirc valve that is venting back to the intake. It has the pink 1.5 spring specific to supercharger applications.

The tune is a FNG from Delicious based on the information I provided to them. I sent logs in for review, and a new tune was sent. A few days later the weather cleared, and I ran some new logs to check things out. My car stopped making power at about 6500. It was WAY worse than the logs I have posted as far as lean condition. To be sure it wasn't just the car, I switched back to the original tune they sent me. Everything acted normal again. Since then, I have sent those new WORSE logs in for review but haven't heard back yet. I don't want to knock their work until I give them a chance to help me out. I just want a safe reliable tune.
Irace86.2.0 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #54
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Just fyi, I use to fit six 5-gallon jugs in my trunk (before OEM Audio Plus sub install). With the rear seat folded down, I could probably fit another four 5-gallon jugs at least, but that is 30 gallons of E85 that I stored at the house because the closest E85 is 25 miles away (a new station is coming online this year within two miles of my house!), but I don't drive my car much, so that 30 gallons (plus a full tank of E85) lasts like three months in the summer, and at 50/50 in the winter, it lasts around 5-6 months.

I've got four 5 gallon cans that I used specifically last year for my trip to the track, at the track, and the drive back. It isn't completely terrible, but honestly it was kind of annoying. At least with the flex fuel sensor I wouldn't have to worry about switching tunes like I did with my previous OFT setup.

So far the only thing I "think" I need to go e85 is a fuel pump, a new tune, and flex fuel sensor. I already bought a Exedy Stage 1 clutch in preparation for the jump in power. Problem is I don't have the funds right now to do anything else. In a few months I'll be good, but I owe a bit more than expected to Uncle Sam, so funds are just tight.
Irace86.2.0 (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #55
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Your IATs go from 14 cruising to a low of 10 once air speed increases to about 19 degrees at peak boost. The second pull it was 23 then 20 then 32, so yes, it was a cool night. If anything, a cool night might yield more power, but a cool night won't increase boost. If anything, higher temps = higher pressure and lower temps = lower pressure.

Quote:
I think you have it reversed because you should see more manifold pressure with higher temperatures. You might feel more power in the winter because you have greater air density, so more fuel can be added, and engine timing will be in your favor then, but you shouldn't see more boost.

As you can see, I'm getting 0.87 bar or 12.5 psi and on other pulls up to 0.89 bar or 13 psi at 61 degrees Celsius. I bought the kit off @johan and he saw a peak boost of around 11.5 psi and he lives in cooler Portland.

https://datazap.me/u/jirace/v8-flex-...0&data=8-29-38
Old 02-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #56
tomm.brz

no, you are SO wrong mate.
Lower temps bring higher boost, the more density is indeed what causes it. Ask any tuner and you will get the same answer

That s also why a turbo has to work harder and faster to achieve same boost with higher temp, because it produces less boost with warm air temp and to open the wastegate it needs to spin faster

it is basic physics