follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2020, 04:46 AM   #15
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,066 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Stick it on dyno and tune it properly.

I'm far from being an expert with the black magic of tuning, but to my "unskilled" eyes it looks rubbish.
there is no black magic... but clients of DT like to keep logs for themselves and make it look like it is
you would be amazed looking at other tunes of them, specially the SC ones
protip: they all look like this.

Sorry for saying that, it is for me American Marketing at its finest.. and it s as negative as it sounds
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:42 AM   #16
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
there is no black magic... but clients of DT like to keep logs for themselves and make it look like it is
you would be amazed looking at other tunes of them, specially the SC ones
protip: they all look like this.

Sorry for saying that, it is for me American Marketing at its finest.. and it s as negative as it sounds
It's black magic to me, and I'm Australian.

I'm all for truth in numbers and tuning but I'm also all for tuning a car with a hint od safety to the tune.

That AFR would be as hot as hell.

That lean at WOT, yeah nah.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (02-12-2020), tomm.brz (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 05:49 AM   #17
tomm.brz

yeah the last sentence wasn t directly for you of course!

The lean afr because of the PI amply maximized isn t the only thing off on those logs...
Old 02-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #18
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
ok that you need the big injectors for E85/flex, but with petrol, that would totally be doable with stock inejctors, but your tuner like to maximize PI over its maximum, instead of use properly the DI and maximize that

I guess it s easier to say "buy big injectors" than spend time to properly scale everything.
Zach tuned my car back when he was at DT. He said that they had an F1 engineer consult on their tunes, and that engineer made a point to say that increasing the direct injectors beyond a certain number wasn't ideal. I don't know if that was true, if that was Zach talking, or if that was DT's talking points. I don't know if it is true or if it is false.

Regardless, the OP is likely running a pulley size that is not the base pulley, so he needs to drop pulley sizes. That is the more important issue because unless he goes E85, 91 isn't ideal at 12-13 psi on anyone's tune.
tomm.brz (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #19
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for all the info!

The pulley is the correct 38t-95 one in the 30mm upgrade kit which is why I don't understand the reason for boost above 9 psi. The crank pulley is marked 51t-128, which I believe to be correct as well.

Untitled by hatchethairy, on Flickr

As for Delicious, I am not ready to throw them under the bus. There has been a revision file sent to me, but it had an even worse lean condition so I switched back until it can be reviewed. Those logs will be sent and some follow up will clearly be needed.

I'm glad I posted up though, as I really hadn't considered ~14 being super lean under boost.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #20
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
Thanks for all the info!

The pulley is the correct 38t-95 one in the 30mm upgrade kit which is why I don't understand the reason for boost above 9 psi. The crank pulley is marked 51t-128, which I believe to be correct as well.

As for Delicious, I am not ready to throw them under the bus. There has been a revision file sent to me, but it had an even worse lean condition so I switched back until it can be reviewed. Those logs will be sent and some follow up will clearly be needed.

I'm glad I posted up though, as I really hadn't considered ~14 being super lean under boost.
Yes, 14 is bad like blowing up engines bad.

I saw you were having issues with your pulleys in the KW thread. Did you resolve that? Is there any chance something is flipped, reversed, out of order or anything because something seems off. I would try contacting KW. Let them know you are getting 13psi with the 95mm pulley and see if they have an answer. Have you measured the pulley to see if it is really 95mm? Is there any chance you mixed and matched your pulleys from the 20mm kit and 30mm kit?
Old 02-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #21
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Yes, 14 is bad like blowing up engines bad.

I saw you were having issues with your pulleys in the KW thread. Did you resolve that? Is there any chance something is flipped, reversed, out of order or anything because something seems off. I would try contacting KW. Let them know you are getting 13psi with the 95mm pulley and see if they have an answer. Have you measured the pulley to see if it is really 95mm? Is there any chance you mixed and matched your pulleys from the 20mm kit and 30mm kit?

No resolve with Kraftwerks. I've all but given up on them fixing or coming to a proper conclusion. They basically told me to return to Amazon and try again. For whatever reason the kit I bought on Amazon appears to have idler and tensioner pulleys that don't have the part number etched in them like what Kraftwerks is selling directly. It's a mystery, and my timeline to return to Amazon is already passed.

For now I've shimmed the idler/tension pulley with fender washers at 2mm thickness with proper alignment. It's not ideal, but it gets full belt engagement and so far is working fine.

I haven't measured any of the pulleys but will do so this evening. Can't hurt to check. Unless the diameter of the SC pulley or crank pulley is incorrect there's nothing else that could be causing the issue as there's no way to swap anything.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #22
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
No resolve with Kraftwerks. I've all but given up on them fixing or coming to a proper conclusion. They basically told me to return to Amazon and try again. For whatever reason the kit I bought on Amazon appears to have idler and tensioner pulleys that don't have the part number etched in them like what Kraftwerks is selling directly. It's a mystery, and my timeline to return to Amazon is already passed.

For now I've shimmed the idler/tension pulley with fender washers at 2mm thickness with proper alignment. It's not ideal, but it gets full belt engagement and so far is working fine.

I haven't measured any of the pulleys but will do so this evening. Can't hurt to check. Unless the diameter of the SC pulley or crank pulley is incorrect there's nothing else that could be causing the issue as there's no way to swap anything.
I feel like Kraftwerks could give you specs on all their parts or someone with a kit could make some measurements to compare just to make sure the diameter isn't off somewhere. And just go through the install PDF and make sure every picture they have matches your stuff.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...H3kCNuHXT-IrJK
Old 02-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #23
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I feel like Kraftwerks could give you specs on all their parts or someone with a kit could make some measurements to compare just to make sure the diameter isn't off somewhere. And just go through the install PDF and make sure every picture they have matches your stuff.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...H3kCNuHXT-IrJK

I've tried to get some relevant info as to what exactly I should have, and even just a query as to what basic dimensions they should be. Nothing. Also notice that the pulley dimensions in the installation instructions you linked, or even what's on their website, are still wrong as they since changed the pulley sizes.

I've got the original 20mm pulley set that came with the kit. If the 30mm pulleys match in diameter to those, then I should be good to go. Pretty sure I checked all of that when I swapped it over, but again I don't mind a double check.
Irace86.2.0 (02-10-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #24
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Pulleys all match the proper diameter.

Is there any way to regulate or control boost with a SC other than pulleys?
Irace86.2.0 (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #25
tomm.brz

a restrictor pre charger like the hks v2
Old 02-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #26
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Pulleys all match the proper diameter.

Is there any way to regulate or control boost with a SC other than pulleys?
Not to raise boost. Only to lower/modulate boost. To raise boost, a smaller SC pulley or larger crank pulley is needed. Indirectly, restricting the flow through the exhaust can raise boost. Changing the supercharger size or internals gears could do it too.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #27
captain awesome
Wears Pants

I spoke too soon. So I swear I stared at the old 20mm SC pulley and saw 38t-95mm, but it was actually 36t-90mm. The previous owner was apparently running the high boost setup. That still doesn't explain why I'm getting higher boost with the 9 psi pulley though.

As for exhaust raising boost, I'm not sure where other than maybe the stock muffler the restriction would come from. I've got an ACE A350 header and catless front pipe. Stock resonator and muffler are still there, but they haven't been proven to be flow restricting until higher HP numbers if I recall correctly. At this point I'm willing to unbolt the muffler and see though. If I had the funds right now I'd just get a flex fuel sensor and tune to match, but the tax man is knocking my door down hard this year.
Irace86.2.0 (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #28
Irace86.2.0

I think the 90mm gives around 12 psi. What should it do?

If anything those mods would lower boost. Temperature can do it too, but I doubt that is a problem, and we won’t know IATs. I don’t know if running as lean as you are would cause that boost peak.