follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
AT-JeffT

Drives: 14 BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
80K Transmission Cold Shift Lockout

Hi All,

I'm having issues getting into gear in the morning when the transmission 6MT is cold(10F-40F).

I've had the car since new, and it has never been bad. I have to mess with it for up to 30 seconds attempting to get it into R, 1st or 2nd. After it goes into one of those gears, it allows the others to go in.

I've always had stock Subaru Fluid 75w-90 in the trans, changed at regular intervals. I changed the fluid 1K miles ago which helped, but now it's difficult again.

I understand these transmissions are known for mild crunches in the cold but a complete inablity to get into gear is new to me and this car. Is something worn? Clutch adjustment? Rear trans mount? Transmission internals?

Everything shifts great once warmed up.
AT-JeffT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think if you throw the shifter around while you're warming up the car it helps a lot.

Or go into 2nd gear, then into reverse. Always works for me.

If you haven't had a fresh throwout bearing installed (esp. the revised bearing) then get that.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
equachie

Drives: Subaru Brz - WRB
I've read that its quite common for shifting difficulties in the twins at colder temperatures. Like you're noticing already, warming up 5-10 minutes seems to alleviate the symptoms.

If its progressive, perhaps change of fluid could help? I've heard redline is ideal for helping with these conditions.
equachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:37 PM   #4
AT-JeffT

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
I think if you throw the shifter around while you're warming up the car it helps a lot.

Or go into 2nd gear, then into reverse. Always works for me.

If you haven't had a fresh throwout bearing installed (esp. the revised bearing) then get that.
I'm on the stock (non-updated) throwout bearing. It has started to make noise for the first time this winter.

I'm slightly skeptical about it being the cause however, the clutch still disengages fine, and with the clutch petal in the clutch assembly should be removed from the equation.

If you or someone else has experience with a bad throw out bearing causing difficult cold shifts, I'm certainly interested to hear more. I do plan on changing the throwout bearing once it's warm out.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-JeffT View Post
Hi All,

I'm having issues getting into gear in the morning when the transmission 6MT is cold(10F-40F).

I've had the car since new, and it has never been bad. I have to mess with it for up to 30 seconds attempting to get it into R, 1st or 2nd. After it goes into one of those gears, it allows the others to go in.

I've always had stock Subaru Fluid 75w-90 in the trans, changed at regular intervals. I changed the fluid 1K miles ago which helped, but now it's difficult again.

I understand these transmissions are known for mild crunches in the cold but a complete inablity to get into gear is new to me and this car. Is something worn? Clutch adjustment? Rear trans mount? Transmission internals?

Everything shifts great once warmed up.

Totally common, I had/have the same thing. The solution is to just rev match and its no big deal. Don't force it into gear if it won't go, if you rev match it properly it glides right into gear with very little resistance.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #6
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@AT-JeffT

If you're hearing it, then likely its already on its way out. It gets worse and makes cold shifting bad.

Get the new bearing. It's ~$21 from 86speed
https://86speed.com/revised-oem-toyo...ing-frs-brz-86
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 06:15 AM   #7
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
+1 on radroach's post...

Get underneath it and do a visual inspection of the shifter mount bushing as well as the transmission mount and replace if these are worn or have excess movement. There are some aftermarket parts that can help with the crunch and other parts that hurt. I found whiteline transmission mount bushing and shifter bushing to be helpful with the second gear crunch. Most of the time the noise is the TOB, as mentioned. If you're hearing it then its likely causing some friction and should get in there and replace it. These are just my experiences though, I could be completely wrong.
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

If you're using Subaru gear lube, it's GL5. Not long-term healthy for our transmissions. Toyota recommends using their LV 75W GL4 transmission fluid as a replacement for the factory GL3 fill. GL3/4 are yellow metal friendly. GL5 is not.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
AT-JeffT

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
If you're using Subaru gear lube, it's GL5. Not long-term healthy for our transmissions. Toyota recommends using their LV 75W GL4 transmission fluid as a replacement for the factory GL3 fill. GL3/4 are yellow metal friendly. GL5 is not.
Are you talking about the extra s Subaru fluid? I believe that is GL5. However I'm using the regular 75w90. I can't find a GL rating for it online but I believe it is either GL3 or 4.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #10
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Are you talking about the extra s Subaru fluid? I believe that is GL5. However I'm using the regular 75w90. I can't find a GL rating for it online but I believe it is either GL3 or 4.
I don't know the specific difference between the two lubes, but if the "regular 75W-90" lube is meant to be used in their transaxle cars, I'd bet it's also GL5 rated due to it's intended use with hypoid gears.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #11
AT-JeffT

I'm thinking you guys may be right about the issue being the throw out bearing. I've changed how I start the car and haven't had a problem. Normally the car is in 1st gear, I push in the clutch and start the car. If I take it out of 1st gear before starting, I don't have the issue. I'm guessing the throw out bearing is binding the clutch is out of adjustment. Either way, it seems to be clutch related not transmission internals.

Last edited by AT-JeffT; 02-10-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #12
AT-JeffT

Changed my TOB and clutch along with a new bearing retainer. The old TOB was in better condition than expected. It wasn't melted or mangled, just dry and noisy.

The 2nd gear engagement is still crunchy.

Anyone have other ideas? Its a worn syncro really possible at 80K?
Old 03-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #13
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Its a worn syncro really possible at 80K?
80K miles with the wrong fluid in it could absolutely cause premature syncro wear. Did you ever find out if the fluid you've been using is rated GL5 or not?
Old 03-19-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
AT-JeffT

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
80K miles with the wrong fluid in it could absolutely cause premature syncro wear. Did you ever find out if the fluid you've been using is rated GL5 or not?
It's the stock fill for the BRZ. I can't find any info online about it and the parts counter guy did not seem to know what GL ratings were.

Tags
cold shift, cold startup, cold transmission