follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #2409
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,673 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beltax90 View Post
a couple of 3 series bmws and too many wrxs have given me flybys these last couple weeks. its kinda annoying :\

cant imagine what will happen when i finally put a wing on this thing
nowadays absolutely no one tries to race me, but when I had the sard wing, dudes were getting triggered all the time. Just don't engage
Old 01-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #2410
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
nowadays absolutely no one tries to race me, but when I had the sard wing, dudes were getting triggered all the time. Just don't engage
Always engage! Those soccer moms in their Dodge Caravans will know their place.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #2411
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Lots of weird mini flexes from dodge ram and other pickup owners as a of late.

Random downshift acceleration next to me on the highway in medium/heavy traffic on my morning commute. Literally downshift.. noise and brake because there is no room. Maybe they want to hear my car? I never respond.

I also have had a lot of people tailgate me on my favorite offramp on the same commute. It's a great corner as it connects two highways. I'll often just downshift and not use the brakes. I've had one of the same rev truck douche bags try and follow me about a week ago. I specifically carried more speed because of how annoyed I was staring at his headlights blasting me through the rear view mirror. I'm pretty sure poop came out of his pants when he realized trucks don't turn that well.

LOL this brings back memory of a guy I knew back in college. He has a switch to turn off the brake lights in his GTI so people following him had no idea when he is backing off the throttle on the on-off ramps. They think there is no need to brake and it scares the hell out of them when they realize they carried too much speed in mid corner.
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to James H For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (02-03-2020), korhun (01-10-2020), Pedro13 (01-09-2020), RToyo86 (01-28-2020), soundman98 (01-08-2020), Will BRZ (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #2412
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Had some kind of Infiniti coupe rev his engine to what must have been redline at me while at a 3-way stop. So weird.
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:45 PM   #2413
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James H View Post
LOL this brings back memory of a guy I knew back in college. He has a switch to turn off the brake lights in his GTI so people following him had no idea when he is backing off the throttle on the on-off ramps. They think there is no need to brake and it scares the hell out of them when they realize they carried too much speed in mid corner.

Uhhh, do we know each other...?
Old 02-02-2020, 05:20 PM   #2414
Apelsin

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Always engage! Those soccer moms in their Dodge Caravans will know their place.
Depends on the van. I was driving down a very curvy road the other day. Usually no other cars can keep up wtih me in this part of the road so i didn't look in the rearview mirror. Then i heard tires screeching, looked in the mirror and to my amazement saw a minivan right behind me. I think it was a honda van. Apparently, they are very fast around curves
Apelsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:00 PM   #2415
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
I had the opposite in my 96 Saab. It was actually fog (tail) lights but there were two. I would turn them on while accelerating through yellow lights so it looked like I was showing caution (legal). I called them my fake brakes. OEM feature

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Spuds (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 08:26 PM   #2416
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apelsin View Post
Depends on the van. I was driving down a very curvy road the other day. Usually no other cars can keep up wtih me in this part of the road so i didn't look in the rearview mirror. Then i heard tires screeching, looked in the mirror and to my amazement saw a minivan right behind me. I think it was a honda van. Apparently, they are very fast around curves
Honda Powered TM.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #2417
Renault Discordia
Giant Robots and Stuff

Drives: Oceanic 2019 86 GT (6AT)
Garage
One of the first days I had the car, I pulled up next to I believe a newer Audi S4 that insisted on trying to get my attention at a red light on one of the main thoroughfare roads heading back home (police hotspot, try to remain civil), who proceeded to bolt off and cut in front of me as I was coming up to speed. I broke my normally demure demeanor in that instant to see if I could keep up with him, then I realized I was pulling 100 in this area and he was probably consistently 10mph faster than me, so I tapered off because it wasn't worth it. I don't think I've taken that route home since that day, getting to I-95 that way's a pain in the ass during rush hour, anyway.

Had a similar thing happen with a ruby red Challenger this past week, same stoplight scenario, except at night, my alternate and preferred route home, and after my sequential FT86SF Valenti tail light swap; Sir Revs-a-Lot bolted ahead and cut in front of me to show off. I swear, these people have no tact. It's like they're all over-compensating for something...
Renault Discordia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Renault Discordia For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (02-07-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #2418
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The other day, I pulled up to a red light and thought I'd redline 1st and 2nd. Nothing aggressive, no launch, like a 5-60. Speed limit was 50 or 55, traffic was relatively empty and almost no one was around, just some blue econohatch looking car to my left. Light turns green and I redline 1st, and just as I'm shifting to 2nd, I notice the blue hatch is keeping up directly to my left. It surprised me (especially since I didn't hear ANYTHING), but no big deal, I figured I'd just wind out 2nd and get away from this guy. Nope. I'm beginning to pull ever so slightly in 2nd, but definitely not what I was expecting (I'm on e85). At this point I'm so shocked he's still next to me I miss 3rd like an idiot

At the next light I end up in front of him, and now my curiosity gets the better of me, so when the light turns green, I do a mild launch (blipped to 3000 RPM before taking off). I get a quick chirp of the tires and a pretty clean launch, and I immediately put a car length gap in between us. Not sure if he's not trying or not interested, but he turns at the next light. Probably for the best.

Looks like the car was a Chevy Bolt electric car, which explains why I didn't hear the guy next to me or know he was trying to race. Apparently they do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. Interesting seeing how quick even lower-end electric cars are from a stop. With their instantaneous low-end torque, there's no need to launch them, just mat the accelerator and go.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #2419
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Heh, I had a tail light cutoff switch on my car in college too, a Datsun 200SX that was mildly worked. I used it so I could ditch down a dirt road at night without being seen turning off the main road. I also had driving lights under the front bumper that only lit up about 25-30 feet ahead so I could turn off the headlights and still see the road but couldn't be easily seen from behind. It was handy to be able to drop into a driveway in the 'burbs too when necessary.

I constantly run hot into tight corners to lose those too close followers. I love not needing to brake going into a 20mph corner at 40 and watching the tailgater lose it or at least have a bad time and have to fall back. I live in a really hilly area with 200+ year old roads, most of the local suv and pickup drivers drive way too fast on the descents and run right up my bumper because I just leave it in 2nd or 3rd so the car doesn't roll out to 50 like their behemoths. They make it obvious I'm not going fast enough for them so as we get to the tight corners I bring it up to where I know they can't pull it off and they almost always follow me right up to the point of no return. As we get into the corner I'll accelerate as they start sliding or wobbling and getting on the brakes and never see them again or if I do they catch up to me in the next open area and they're PISSED
Old 03-02-2020, 12:18 PM   #2420
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
A few weeks ago I saw a very cool gray ND Miata (named MX-5 here.) I was going slowly and he was very fast. He slowed down, came to my back, and have a looked at my car for a while. Then foot down again. I also decided to have a look at his car, and speed up. We cruised together until he turned. We waved each other.. It was fun

korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 12:19 PM   #2421
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
The other day, I pulled up to a red light and thought I'd redline 1st and 2nd. Nothing aggressive, no launch, like a 5-60. Speed limit was 50 or 55, traffic was relatively empty and almost no one was around, just some blue econohatch looking car to my left. Light turns green and I redline 1st, and just as I'm shifting to 2nd, I notice the blue hatch is keeping up directly to my left. It surprised me (especially since I didn't hear ANYTHING), but no big deal, I figured I'd just wind out 2nd and get away from this guy. Nope. I'm beginning to pull ever so slightly in 2nd, but definitely not what I was expecting (I'm on e85). At this point I'm so shocked he's still next to me I miss 3rd like an idiot

At the next light I end up in front of him, and now my curiosity gets the better of me, so when the light turns green, I do a mild launch (blipped to 3000 RPM before taking off). I get a quick chirp of the tires and a pretty clean launch, and I immediately put a car length gap in between us. Not sure if he's not trying or not interested, but he turns at the next light. Probably for the best.

Looks like the car was a Chevy Bolt electric car, which explains why I didn't hear the guy next to me or know he was trying to race. Apparently they do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds. Interesting seeing how quick even lower-end electric cars are from a stop. With their instantaneous low-end torque, there's no need to launch them, just mat the accelerator and go.
Yeah they do it ONCE and then their battery is dead. Hence why he turned off.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (03-02-2020), SuperTom (03-02-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #2422
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
So I've been noticing; in the 86, I got a lot of attention from sportscars, even pseudo sportscars like Civic Si and what not... But now.. Now it's all SUV's/CUV's trying to goad me into a race and pull in front of me for what ever reason.

For those that don't know, I'm in a CTR now.

Anyway, regular commute to work, the passed Monday, a regular looking dude in a regular fairly new Jeep Cherokee. Sitting at a light that is right before an on ramp and we are both in front. Goes green, I take off briskly, but nothing to incite rage or imply I'm racing to get there first. Suddenly I hear this faint sound.. this like whirring sound that was progressively getting louder, and then I notice this white Jeep Cherokee trying it's damn best (it was really doing it's best) to try to ???overtake me??? I have no idea, I was so confused.

Of course the on ramp is there I get on, and sure enough he wasn't trying to get on, he was trying to race me. It does not end there though.

Same day, but commute after work. A Range Rover Evoque, strange looking bastard of a CUV; similar scenario we are at a light, but this time no where near a on ramp. Goes green, I briskly take off. I then notice this thing, the Evoque is pacing beside me. I look over, shake my head like 'what do you want fool, gtfo my face'... And there it is again, that shitty whirring sound that all these stupid CUV's/SUV's make when they try their hardest, and he takes off (as best he could).

This has pretty much gone on all winter with various 9999lb CUV's/SUV's. I've had one Mustang try, but that's it.... Maybe it's the weather, maybe it's my 4 doors..

And then this other time a KIA Sorento V6......

Edit: I don't know why my posts are double spacing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (03-11-2020)