follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #379
Bekker

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Was looking at the GReddy kit, but after doing some research on this kit, I'm liking the idea of the WORKS stage 1 more and more. "Simple" design means I can install it myself, and an included tune means I don't have to pay someone 1k+ for ECUtek tuning. A couple questions regarding the kit I have.

1 - Useability w/ catless headers and the included tune. Would I need to get an adjusted tune to use with catless headers?

2 - Blow off valve. Is there a reason to have/not have one? Any benefits one way or the other?

3 - Compatability with 2017 BRZ? I could care less about actual CARB compliance as my car registered in TX. The included tune + ease of install is the biggest reason I'm looking at the stage 1.

4 - Where to buy stage 1? I normally get my parts for my BRZ from speedfactory (I know they can be a bit overpriced, but military discount on some parts + everything on one site. convenience is nice.) I live in NorCal about 2 hours from Sonoma raceway, I wouldn't be opposed to driving to WORKS and actually just buying a kit to take home lol.

5 - Compatability with GrimmSpeed intake. I would like to think as long as the intake tubes lineup with the Grimmspeed intake box, that I would have to put the hideous stock airbox back on. Any thoughts or experience with this?

@WORKS

Thanks in advance!
Bekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 PM   #380
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekker View Post
Was looking at the GReddy kit, but after doing some research on this kit, I'm liking the idea of the WORKS stage 1 more and more. "Simple" design means I can install it myself, and an included tune means I don't have to pay someone 1k+ for ECUtek tuning. A couple questions regarding the kit I have.

1 - Useability w/ catless headers and the included tune. Would I need to get an adjusted tune to use with catless headers?

2 - Blow off valve. Is there a reason to have/not have one? Any benefits one way or the other?

3 - Compatability with 2017 BRZ? I could care less about actual CARB compliance as my car registered in TX. The included tune + ease of install is the biggest reason I'm looking at the stage 1.

4 - Where to buy stage 1? I normally get my parts for my BRZ from speedfactory (I know they can be a bit overpriced, but military discount on some parts + everything on one site. convenience is nice.) I live in NorCal about 2 hours from Sonoma raceway, I wouldn't be opposed to driving to WORKS and actually just buying a kit to take home lol.

5 - Compatability with GrimmSpeed intake. I would like to think as long as the intake tubes lineup with the Grimmspeed intake box, that I would have to put the hideous stock airbox back on. Any thoughts or experience with this?

@WORKS

Thanks in advance!

Hey there,

1. Yes, you would typically need an adjusted tune for catless headers in any configuration.

2. Since the 86 utilizes a MAF and the blow-off valve releases metered air into the atmosphere, you could run rich during tip-in. This usually isn't an issue but it is not ideal since a recirculation or bypass valve will keep all of the measured air contained in the system.

3. Only the Stage 1 "Tuner Kit" is compatible with the 2017+ BRZ, it does not include an ECU calibration and is not CARB legal at this time. We do offer calibrations for our "Tuner Kit" based on your needs.

The Stage 1 "CARB Kit" does include an ECU calibration and is CARB legal for the 2013-2016 FRS/BRZ.

4. We also offer a military discount and can directly help you with any questions that you may have along the way!

5. The Grimmspeed intake does not appear to be compatible with our turbo kits as it changes the location of the MAF outlet whereas the Mishimoto Intake retains the same location.

For more information call us at (707) 933-3893 or come by the shop and say hello!

Thank you,

WORKS Team
WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WORKS For This Useful Post:
sroby (02-15-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 11:04 PM   #381
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Bump for newer members who live in states with tougher emissions
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
WORKS (11-15-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 12:42 AM   #382
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
how much is it for an install of this? i live in sac. bout an hour away. thinking FI but turbo cause, turbo. another question, what Rpm does this turbo usually spool up?> and are they ball bearing or journal bearing?

Last edited by airrick; 10-26-2019 at 12:53 AM.
airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #383
WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by airrick View Post
how much is it for an install of this? i live in sac. bout an hour away. thinking FI but turbo cause, turbo. another question, what Rpm does this turbo usually spool up?> and are they ball bearing or journal bearing?
airrick,

Typically, we offer discounted installation rates of $999 (Stage 1) and $1499 (Stage 2) which includes a 5w-30 Eneos oil change and the coolant required for the intercooler. If there is enough interest, we would be happy to offer a Black Friday special on installation from thanksgiving till the end of the year if you mention this post/thread! $899 (Stage 1) and $1299 (stage 2)

The GT28 is a ball bearing turbo and is sized appropriately for the FA20. It starts to spool very early and hits full boost in the low to mid 3000's depending on gear, load, etc.

There are many benefits of a turbo versus a supercharger. One of the main ones being that there is virtually no added load on the engine during highway cruising! (Hooray for MPG's!)

- WORKS Team
Old 11-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #384
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Probably the bigger benefit is hitting full boost by 3500 rpms and the potential for a flat torque curve. Most superchargers have a bypass valve like mine, so there is minimal load or resistance from the supercharger on the highway.
WORKS (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #385
WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Probably the bigger benefit is hitting full boost by 3500 rpms and the potential for a flat torque curve. Most superchargers have a bypass valve like mine, so there is minimal load or resistance from the supercharger on the highway.
We certainly don't mind the flat mid-range torque!
Boost may be limited while cruising, however the added parasitic load a belt driven unit can add is notable.
There are certainly benefits to both styles of forced induction. While we're a bunch of turbo nuts over here, the way the boost builds with a supercharger is very consistent and predictable!

- WORKS Team
Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #386
jRuN

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Do you guys have any alternative intake options rather than using the factory airbox? The factory one takes up so much room and is so clunky in the engine bay.. it would be nice to have shorter intake piping coming off the turbo and less clutter.
jRuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #387
WORKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jRuN View Post
Do you guys have any alternative intake options rather than using the factory airbox? The factory one takes up so much room and is so clunky in the engine bay.. it would be nice to have shorter intake piping coming off the turbo and less clutter.
Hey jRuN,

We have found that the factory airbox flows very well and there is no real need for an aftermaket unit. If you desire the sound and aesthetic appeal of an aftermarket intake, any unit that retains and mounts to the factory rubber intake boot will fit. The intake would have to be CARB exempt if you wish to pass smog with the setup. Please note that if there is a change in piping diameter or positioning of the MAF in the intake; a re-tune (or at least a health check on the dyno) will likely be required. If you wish to eliminate some of the piping coming off the turbo, additional hose will be required to reach the recirculating valve along with a re-tune. Making a change like this would affect smog exemption.

Due to the these complexities with tuning and retaining exemption, we prefer to retain the factory airbox and recommend our WORKS drop-in filter. We do not offer other intake options at this time.

Now, if you have a Tuner kit and live in a state where there are no emissions requirements (or if the vehicle is not registered for street use and is for track only), you have a lot more freedom in your intake options. We have had a few of our customers fabricate some awesome custom intakes, FMIC setups, etc.!

- WORKS Team
Old 12-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #388
Joyriding_86

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Frs
Garage
@WORKS

By any chance this kit work with OFT?
Joyriding_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:55 AM   #389
Akinaspeedstar86

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Do you have any plans on getting 2017+ cars a carb compliant version? Thank you.
Akinaspeedstar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #390
WORKS

We are actually 50% through the process with CARB right now!
_Kodiak (04-11-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 02:30 AM   #391
HachirocksU

Drives: Friggin Really Sweet
Works with TRD intake?
HachirocksU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #392
WORKS

It will not fit with the TRD intake as there is no way for us to utilize it as it goes straight to the throttle body.
HachirocksU (04-07-2020)