follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spd229's Ultramarine Auto FR-S

Just got a call from the dealer today. They're trading one of their available FR-S for my Ultramarine Auto.

I should get it sometime soon, possibly even before June 1.

Awesome!

Update: Here are some pictures finally

Driven around 600 miles on the car so far, even only really being city / highway driving it's been great!

Interior
I really can't say much that hasn't already been said. It's comfortable, fitting and unbelievably roomy. I'm still getting my seating position sorted out, but even so everything is intuitive and just makes sense on where it's placed. I've already detailed the interior once as just about every little thing shows up, but fortunately vacuums out relatively easy. The dash and other materials seem like they may fade pretty quickly if not taken care of properly; time will tell however.

Using my iPod and the radio required me restarting my iPod a few times as it failed to sync initially, I've had it set to iPod mode ever since as I prefer to control music from player rather than the HU. I haven't had any other troubles, though I do find the overall balance and feel of the sound lacking....probably just need to play with the setup a bit more though as I haven't really done much.

Exterior
I love the blue! Though after an unfortunate encounter with a cat night one, the trunk is definitely showing the scratches super easy. I also notice water spots are very apparent against the blue...this car might be just as intensive as a black one, who knows.

I was considering changing the wheels eventually, but the stock ones are really growing on me as time goes on. They really tend to set the car off.

Other Impressions
I think I'm still getting used to the feel of the car even though I find myself pushing it around turns every so often as the car just feels that planted. I can definitely feel the weight difference between the FR-S and a 95' miata, given the weight difference I can definitely see how that plays into the "fast" feeling of the car.

I also seem to feel the rear wheels wanting to spin pulling out from intersections or turning out into traffic, I probably just haven't gotten a handle on feathering it just right yet to get a good take off; or maybe I'm just turning the wheel too much.

I haven't had to dodge too many people, but the car is definitely nimble and willing to go where you want it. Already made a few slight mistakes though such as slight scrubbing the underside of the front bumper (very light, but still not all too happy about it). Also got a small scratch near the ignition area from the key.

Still on my second tank of gas but I averaged about 30.9 or so if I recall correctly.

I haven't really decided what mods I want to do yet, may end up doing an audio setup at some point it just depends on how much money I manage to save or what I feel that I want. I look forward to seeing what's available in the next year or so.

Last edited by Spd229; 06-12-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Spd229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spd229 For This Useful Post:
ESBjiujitsu (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
awesome news man!!! i bet your getting excited! Autos are pimp, start working those thumbs out now

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Spd229

Posted up some pics.

Driven around 600 miles on the car so far, even only really being city / highway driving it's been great!

Interior
I really can't say much that hasn't already been said. It's comfortable, fitting and unbelievably roomy. I'm still getting my seating position sorted out, but even so everything is intuitive and just makes sense on where it's placed. I've already detailed the interior once as just about every little thing shows up, but fortunately vacuums out relatively easy. The dash and other materials seem like they may fade pretty quickly if not taken care of properly; time will tell however.

Using my iPod and the radio required me restarting my iPod a few times as it failed to sync initially, I've had it set to iPod mode ever since as I prefer to control music from player rather than the HU. I haven't had any other troubles, though I do find the overall balance and feel of the sound lacking....probably just need to play with the setup a bit more though as I haven't really done much.

Exterior
I love the blue! Though after an unfortunate encounter with a cat night one, the trunk is definitely showing the scratches super easy. I also notice water spots are very apparent against the blue...this car might be just as intensive as a black one, who knows.

I was considering changing the wheels eventually, but the stock ones are really growing on me as time goes on. They really tend to set the car off.

Other Impressions
I think I'm still getting used to the feel of the car even though I find myself pushing it around turns every so often as the car just feels that planted. I can definitely feel the weight difference between the FR-S and a 95' miata, given the weight difference I can definitely see how that plays into the "fast" feeling of the car.

I also seem to feel the rear wheels wanting to spin pulling out from intersections or turning out into traffic, I probably just haven't gotten a handle on feathering it just right yet to get a good take off; or maybe I'm just turning the wheel too much.

I haven't had to dodge too many people, but the car is definitely nimble and willing to go where you want it. Already made a few slight mistakes though such as slight scrubbing the underside of the front bumper (very light, but still not all too happy about it). Also got a small scratch near the ignition area from the key.

Still on my second tank of gas but I averaged about 30.9 or so if I recall correctly.

I haven't really decided what mods I want to do yet, may end up doing an audio setup at some point it just depends on how much money I manage to save or what I feel that I want. I look forward to seeing what's available in the next year or so.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Spd229

Finally finished the break-in period.

Did a bit more revving around this tank of gas and ended up getting about 28.9 mpg, which isn't at all bad but I'm now interested to see how much it gets without me shifting gears around so much as I attempt to properly follow the break-in....who knows if I even did it right.

Kinda worried as I have driven more or less like normal for at least 300 miles of it, and by that I mean only really being able to drop a gear or two and moderate my speed within a 10mph delta while driving on the interstate in rush hour traffic. Outside of that I generally made plenty of pulls up to 4k while getting up to speed, downshifting to slow down, etc but nothing that would cause issues when driving in traffic (20 mph speed changes, etc).

Also had some fun chasing my stepdad in a mini a day or two ago, nothing severe or outside of legal limit just comparing the agility of the two vehicles and how they shifted under cornering as the road back home had a couple of nice corners. Being capped at 4k shifting really made the mini seem to fly off with the boost though after a stop sign.

I've gotta say, this car has provided tons of fun within the legal and safe limits of road driving in my everyday commuting and I couldn't be happier having one.