follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #1
DC87

Drives: Pug
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Autocar first drive - BRZ Cheaper than FT-86?

Autocar just posted up a Subaru BRZ first drive, and perhaps the most interesting quote is...

Quote:
Hirakawa promotes Subaru’s version of the car as more focused at the enthusiast than the better-equipped but pricier Toyota. However, despite early reports that the Subaru may have more power, he also confirms that the differences between all three versions of the car are limited to wheel design, badges and interior trim, plus price.
So does this mean that the BRZ will be cheaper? I thought that it was almost certain that it would be the costlier version. Forgive me if I've got my wires crossed or this is old news but this seems like a bit of a bombshell, no? Sure, this is still speculative as the price is TBA at the top but listed as £21k at the bottom but the bit in bold appears to be quoted from Hirakawa...

Full review:

Quote:
What is it?

This is the Subaru BRZ development prototype, which is most easily introduced as Subaru’s take on the Toyota FT-86 – athough that statement is factually contentious.

When, in 2008, Toyota chairman Katsuaki Watanabe decided he wanted an affordable 2+2 coupe, he found that his company was already at full capacity building cars it could sell, and its development engineers were flat out working on alternative powertrain projects. As a result, the Toyota FT-86 and Subaru BRZ rear-drive, front-engined coupes are, in fact, mostly a Subaru production. Oh, and there will likely be another spin-off, badged as a Scion FR-S, for the US market.

BRZ project leader Yoshio Hirakawa refers to the car as "ours" and confirms that Subaru was responsible for its development, testing and production, with Toyota – a 16.5 per cent share holder in Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries - taking the lead on project planning and design. To this end, Subaru has also built a new production facility for the car, near ist main facility in Oizumi in Japan.

Hirakawa promotes Subaru’s version of the car as more focused at the enthusiast than the better-equipped but pricier Toyota. However, despite early reports that the Subaru may have more power, he also confirms that the differences between all three versions of the car are limited to wheel design, badges and interior trim, plus price.

He also confirms the BRZ was benchmarked against the Porsche Cayman R, a car which they are eager to point out it is 100kg lighter than (at 1270kg) and that it has a centre of gravity 2.5cm lower than. The more than 100bhp power deficit is not dwelled on so long, however.

It is worth stressing that this was a development car, and that much of the data is estimated.

What’s it like?

At its heart is the Subaru 2.0-litre flat-four front engine, codenamed FB20 and established already in the Impreza. However, it sits 12cm lower in the engine bay than in the Impreza, and 24cm further back. The result is a claimed 45:55 per cent weight distribution front to rear.

In the prototype we drove the result was a joy. Subaru was claiming 210bhp at 7000rpm and a redline than starts at 7500rpm, plus maximum torque of 170lb ft at 4000rpm. However these were estimates, and are up on the projections for the identical FT-86 unit.

Regardless, it felt quick enough, and, thanks to the Toyota derived cylinder head and direct injection it speeds up faster than any other normally aspirated Subaru boxer engine. Only from 1800-3000rpm is the absence of boost slightly noticeable.

The Subaru BRZ feels agile and light-footed. Turn in to a fast corner and it understeers only very slightly, but trail the brakes or lift mid-corner and that quickly turns in to controllable oversteer. At high speeds it feels very stable – thanks in no small part to ist relatively long 257cm wheelbase.

The engine can be linked to manual or automatic six-speed gearboxes. The first three gear ratios of the manual are shorter than the steps of the automatic box in order to increase the low torque gap and sharpen the sporty handling. The automatic box, which image-wise probably fits better to the Toyota version, comes with the three modes 'Auto', 'Manual' and 'Temporary Manual', the latter allowing downshifting via paddles behind the steering wheel. Both work well, but the manual is more fun.

The only real note of caution concerns the interior, and it’s worth remembering this was a development prototype. Subaru may describe the interior as pure, but some customers may regard it as spartan. No premium materials were visible in this car. However , that emphasis on basic functionality has its merits - from the driver’s seat you are confronted by a big rev counter, the speedometer sitting off to the left and the temperature and fuel guages to the right. The design is clean but basic; if readibility at speed was the only goal, then they are a success.
Should I buy one?

Yes. The growing conclusion is that the hardest decision will not be whether to part with your money, but choosing between the Subaru and Toyota.

Subaru BRZ prototype
Price: £21,00 est; 0-62mph: 7.0sec (est); Top speed: 130mph (est); Kerb weight: 1270kg (est); Economy: 35mpg (est, combined); CO2: 190g/km (est); Engine 4cys, horizontally opposed 2.0-litre petrol; Max power: 210bhp at 7500rpm (est); Max torque: 170lb ft at 4500rpm (est); Gearbox: Six speed manual/auto.
DC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
spin9k

Drives: RX-8
Interesting but do note the date of testing was August '11 .... but "more focused at the enthusiast" could mean almost anything like lighter weight, offering fewer/no "Scion-like" dealer installed baubles. Maybe 'real' gauges not 'idiot' gauges, stiffer springs and anti-roll bar, things like that? Or perhaps it is being decontented (steel wheels, steel hood) from the get-go to achive a lower base price. But it's hard to see how base can get much more basic... it's already far from luxurious inside, quite plastic actually.
spin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That article was poorly written. So much crap they said like the "absence of boost from 1800-3000 rpms".
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
ft86cbx

Drives: FT86 (Soon)
So they bothered to test both the Toyota ver and the Subaru ver even though they were told they were the same bar wheels, badges, interior trim and price?

What was the point in that?
ft86cbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
They had multiple other facts wrong in that article so it wouldn't be surprising if the statement that Toyota's version would cost more is wrong also.

Then again, perhaps the Scion is just fully loaded and the Subaru isn't but would be more once equipped with all the same options.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Wow, horrible article. 45:55??? LOL! So wrong...
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Autocar is even less trustworthy than Car & Driver's barely veiled assumptions.

However, since they're quoting someone, it means it's entirely possible the Subaru may be the "low spec" and the Toyota the "high spec". The problem with that is I cannot envision the Scion being a higher spec than the Subaru here in the 'states. Oh man, that would blow if the USA got stuck with two low-spec models
Old 11-07-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
KaliKev
FT86 News Addict

Drives: Toyota FJ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Autocar is even less trustworthy than Car & Driver's barely veiled assumptions.

However, since they're quoting someone, it means it's entirely possible the Subaru may be the "low spec" and the Toyota the "high spec". The problem with that is I cannot envision the Scion being a higher spec than the Subaru here in the 'states. Oh man, that would blow if the USA got stuck with two low-spec models
Yep, pretty confusing. I thought Subaru was going to be the enthusiasts car with a racier feel and the scion the cheaper version.
KaliKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Well, not having an interior, stereo, or power locks is rather "racy" while also being less expensive. "I'm just sayin'."
Old 11-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
KaliKev
FT86 News Addict

Drives: Toyota FJ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Well, not having an interior, stereo, or power locks is rather "racy" while also being less expensive. "I'm just sayin'."
Well I was thinking it would have more higher end components (brakes, seats, etc) especially the STI version that would warrant a higher price tag.
KaliKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
spin9k

Drives: RX-8
Yes but that was the R-Spec which I thought was Japan only. Cool if we got it here and then we'd just need to get the rattle can out to paint the bumpers lol.
spin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I dont get how is it cheaper?

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #13
Ikaros
Solar wind surfer

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
This might be kinda random and wrong but I just checked Subaru UK's website and the normal WRX isn't listed could the BRZ be used to fill in that gap? Like for people who wants to have a performance car but can't afford a WRX STI? I know the two car are completely different but the base model could be priced around that range to attract those individuals. I mean it's kind of a huge jump from a Imprezza to a WRX STI
Ikaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaros View Post
This might be kinda random and wrong but I just checked Subaru UK's website and the normal WRX isn't listed could the BRZ be used to fill in that gap? Like for people who wants to have a performance car but can't afford a WRX STI? I know the two car are completely different but the base model could be priced around that range to attract those individuals. I mean it's kind of a huge jump from a Imprezza to a WRX STI
No

the wrx and the sti are being branched off as a seperate platform now and will no longer have any ties to the impreza

I have to say AutoCar is prob one of the least trusted car site around