follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OFT Observation and concerns

So I've had my OFT for 2 months now and currently running 93 Oct Stage 1 v2.06x

I noticed a couple of things that happened and was just wondering if these were normal.

1. I am running a Berk Dual Tip Muffler Delete. I noticed that the tips are a bit darker after few weeks of driving. I polished my tip one day thinking its just dirty but the soot comes back. I feel like the engine produce more soot with this tune.

2. Ive been getting some backfire. With the muffler delete, it seems to be louder. A particular loud one came today shifting from 1st to 2nd. Like a "bang". I thought I hit a car parked on the street. Other times just come randomly so I do not notice it often.

3. Random dead power happens to me. When I shift at very low RPM, lets say around 1800 rpm the next gear just feel likes it motor just idles. I know i dont have any power band but atleast when you press the gas you'd know the motor tries... what i feel is like the throttle do not response.

I could use some insight on the items above. I love the tune, the (some) power. and easier drivability.
Kayysonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You never want to try and "lug" your car around in a gear that is way to high for your current speed. It is in no way good on the car.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:47 AM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,856 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayysonie View Post
So I've had my OFT for 2 months now and currently running 93 Oct Stage 1 v2.06x

I noticed a couple of things that happened and was just wondering if these were normal.

1. I am running a Berk Dual Tip Muffler Delete. I noticed that the tips are a bit darker after few weeks of driving. I polished my tip one day thinking its just dirty but the soot comes back. I feel like the engine produce more soot with this tune.

2. Ive been getting some backfire. With the muffler delete, it seems to be louder. A particular loud one came today shifting from 1st to 2nd. Like a "bang". I thought I hit a car parked on the street. Other times just come randomly so I do not notice it often.

3. Random dead power happens to me. When I shift at very low RPM, lets say around 1800 rpm the next gear just feel likes it motor just idles. I know i dont have any power band but atleast when you press the gas you'd know the motor tries... what i feel is like the throttle do not response.

I could use some insight on the items above. I love the tune, the (some) power. and easier drivability.
1. What brand gas are you using? 76 gives me a lot of soot/black build up on the right tip of my Berk muffler delete. I'm using stage 1 91 tune.

2. You'll get backfires/pops with any exhaust. I like it. Mine usually pops on decel. Downshift and let it engine brake to about 2k and do a quick blip of the throttle with the clutch in, and you'll get a few pops.

3. Shift a little later, or don't apply too much throttle at that low of an rpm. Also, do you have an aftermarket intake?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:57 AM   #4
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
OFT give you base tunes that work out of the box for most U.S. customers, a means to modify tunes and flash. It's literally impossible to make them work out of the box for every single car. Which calibration code is your ecu? A01C?
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 AM   #5
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
All the C roms have stupidly high load limits, even on Stg1 where they're unnecessary.

That means that when you press the loud pedal at low rpm, your ecu goes super rich which explains the tips and finds fuck all timing in the timing table at low rpm, high load cells which is why it bogs.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wayno For This Useful Post:
ck-GT86 (09-29-2015), Griever423 (10-02-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 04:45 AM   #6
ck-GT86

Drives: '13 Raven FR-S, MT
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
All the C roms have stupidly high load limits, even on Stg1 where they're unnecessary.

That means that when you press the loud pedal at low rpm, your ecu goes super rich which explains the tips and finds fuck all timing in the timing table at low rpm, high load cells which is why it bogs.

I have a thread about this, not explained in depth as to why it happens like you did, but sure does show the bogging. Not many people believed us either...

Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayno (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 05:56 AM   #7
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Do some datalogging and try to recreate the problems that you are having. Thats the best way to figure out what is happening. If nothing out of the ordinary shows up on the logs then you probably have nothing to worry about.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck-GT86 View Post
I have a thread about this, not explained in depth as to why it happens like you did, but sure does show the bogging. Not many people believed us either...

Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct us aussies did not tweak to the problem cause we never had it , its a problem unique to USA roms they had load limit tables set to 1.6 across all rpm ranges the early definitions did not have the load limit tables defined.

you might need to grab wayno's definitions as he has added the load limit tables in for C/D roms

fix is easy copy the load limit tables from a G rom to your C rom see below.

some cars run richer than OL fuel table due maf sensor differences (need maf scaled to suit), but doing the load limit tables will fix the bogging issue.

Attached Images

steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Chimera (09-29-2015), Wayno (09-29-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Here is a little more info about the tune I am running.

My ROM is a BO1C.

I am in Michigan which has a huge abundant of 93 octane is readily available. I rarely run 91 and I only go to a Sunoco, Shell or BP. Mainly Sunoco.

I do have a drop in K&N filter to go along with my muffler delete.

I do see more soot on my right tip but I think its just more of the design of the delete.

I will try to do a data log and post here then probably detune to a 91 Oct Stage 1 tune..

I think the car is a bit more aggressive running 93 Oct while im possibly getting bad gas.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
All these symptoms (excessive black soot, backfire, dead spots) sound like they could be from running rich. Probably best to look at a data log.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,014 Times in 1,856 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is a little more info about the tune I am running.

My ROM is a BO1C.

I am in Michigan which has a huge abundant of 93 octane is readily available. I rarely run 91 and I only go to a Sunoco, Shell or BP. Mainly Sunoco.

I do have a drop in K&N filter to go along with my muffler delete.

I do see more soot on my right tip but I think its just more of the design of the delete.

I will try to do a data log and post here then probably detune to a 91 Oct Stage 1 tune..

I think the car is a bit more aggressive running 93 Oct while im possibly getting bad gas.
I'm currently using Shell right now. It's been a few tanks, and the exhaust tips aren't getting black.

I was going to say if you have an after market intake, it could just be hesitation. But can't be the case now.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #12
Kayysonie
Badass Member

Here is my data log from random driving I did during lunch time.

http://datazap.me/u/kayysonie/random...a=1-9-10-11-12

Not sure what I should be looking for.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #13
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

I think this is just because our car is so slow.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #14
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is my data log from random driving I did during lunch time.

http://datazap.me/u/kayysonie/random...a=1-9-10-11-12

Not sure what I should be looking for.
I'm no expert but between steve99 and Wayno I'm learning a lot. IAM is 1 throughout so that's good, LTFTs aren't doing much exciting so that's good.

Someone's probably going to tell you to go back out and see if you can capture a few third gear pulls from about 2000 RPM up to redline. Those will be more useful from an optimization standpoint. Also, Wayno's got a few threads with tons of useful info and one in particular has which parameters you should log in the OFT. They're in his signature I do believe.