follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #25789
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PSA a new movie called "a dogs life" or something, i cant remember the title, has had a video released of how they treated animals on set, and its much less than cordial. Dont see the movie please.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 01-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #25790
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
PSA a new movie called "a dogs life" or something, i cant remember the title, has had a video released of how they treated animals on set, and its much less than cordial. Dont see the movie please.
Saw the video of it on FaceBook last night. Was really not impressed with how they treated the dog that was in the scene.

The trainer was trying to throw the dog into a pool that had 4 or 5 or even maybe 6 (can't remember the how many) outboard motors churning up the water. The dog was trying to cling to whatever it could for dear life because it didn't want to go in. Then, when the trainer finally got it in the water, the dog ended up going under almost immediately. At least then someone finally got the bright idea to yell cut.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #25791
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Saw the video of it on FaceBook last night. Was really not impressed with how they treated the dog that was in the scene.

The trainer was trying to throw the dog into a pool that had 4 or 5 or even maybe 6 (can't remember the how many) outboard motors churning up the water. The dog was trying to cling to whatever it could for dear life because it didn't want to go in. Then, when the trainer finally got it in the water, the dog ended up going under almost immediately. At least then someone finally got the bright idea to yell cut.
I have not yet seen it but am going to comment anyway (my turn to be the devils advocate). Video's can be very deceiving and with editing and selected shots can make something appear far different than it really was. If somebody has an agenda they can make the video look horrifying. I will reserve judgment until I see it myself and read any rebuttals. That said I wouldn't watch that movie in the first place since sentimental tear jerkers are not my style.
cdrazic93 (01-19-2017), Dadhawk (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #25792
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
It's not that one isn't powerful enough to run everything; it's that there are six channels. I think WRX's have four, so a four channel amp would work just fine. A six channel amp would be ideal for our cars, but those are big and expensive.

So for our car, one four channel amp could run the dash and rear speakers. Powersports or motorcycle amps are often small enough to tuck in behind the radio, which is helpful because that's where the signal is. The other four channel amp gets bridged to two channels to run the door speakers. It can conveniently replace the OEM door amp in the trunk. Some people replace the doors and dash with a single component set, effectively converting their car to four channels, which means they can run everything with a four channel amp. Others disregard the rear speakers entirely and just push the dash and doors. You should watch the overall price tag though, because if it gets close enough to the OEM Audio+ price, I'd go with that instead, for the DSP.
I was looking into doing something...
The sound in my 17 is just...Odd... The sound quality is better than I remember from the 13 but the sound imaging is weird IMO.
Wasn't sure if swapping the head unit only would help a whole lot.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #25793
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Oh looks like Cole is back from jail... I see that he was busy playin Skyrim lol

Some crazy lady driving CUV almost jack-knife'ed me. Some ppl still believe driving AWD/SUV/CUV/Truck make them unstoppable... well, actually they are "unstoppable" in bad ways.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #25794
NickD

Drives: '05 Corvette
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
3 driver teams, 20 minute stints. No seatbelts, driver rolls out of the kart in one direction as the next driver stomps on the gas pedal while sitting down

That being said, at the last enduro, a human in prime fitness shape managed to do the entire 3 hours himself, with no breaks except one yellow flag where he sipped a little water while sitting in the kart for 30 seconds... and he won. Fucking alien.
Crazy. I did 5 20 minute sessions about 3 months after herniating 2 discs and a partial tear in one of them. I had to get someone to help me out the kart after that.

ninja edit: I reply to posts from 2 pages back because that was the page I was brought to when I clicked the thread. Oh well
Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #25795
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=jVHPDCZCbbk

@Tcoat
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #25796
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have not yet seen it but am going to comment anyway (my turn to be the devils advocate). Video's can be very deceiving and with editing and selected shots can make something appear far different than it really was. If somebody has an agenda they can make the video look horrifying. I will reserve judgment until I see it myself and read any rebuttals. That said I wouldn't watch that movie in the first place since sentimental tear jerkers are not my style.
I'm sorry, But this is not ok.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #25797
Tcoat

Quote:
"The movie’s production company Amblin Entertainment and distributor Universal Pictures released a joint statement noting that the footage was “edited” and stating “the Amblin production team followed rigorous protocols to foster an ethical and safe environment for the animals.”
“While we continue to review the circumstances shown in the edited footage, Amblin is confident that great care and concern was shown for the German Shepherd Hercules, as well as for all of the other dogs featured throughout the production of the film,” the statement read. “There were several days of rehearsal of the water scenes to ensure Hercules was comfortable with all of the stunts. On the day of the shoot, Hercules did not want to perform the stunt portrayed on the tape so the Amblin production team did not proceed with filming that shot.”

There are two sides to every story. The evidence is not all in yet.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #25798
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
"The movie’s production company Amblin Entertainment and distributor Universal Pictures released a joint statement noting that the footage was “edited” and stating “the Amblin production team followed rigorous protocols to foster an ethical and safe environment for the animals.”
“While we continue to review the circumstances shown in the edited footage, Amblin is confident that great care and concern was shown for the German Shepherd Hercules, as well as for all of the other dogs featured throughout the production of the film,” the statement read. “There were several days of rehearsal of the water scenes to ensure Hercules was comfortable with all of the stunts. On the day of the shoot, Hercules did not want to perform the stunt portrayed on the tape so the Amblin production team did not proceed with filming that shot.”

There are two sides to every story. The evidence is not all in yet.
So, forcing a dog to do something it clearly doesn't want to do is ok? If I see a dog scrambling to get away from something, that tells me it doesn't want to do it. Seeing the way that dog reacted to the water reminded me of my old dog's reaction to falling in the pool. He HATED it, and panicked in the exact same way, trying to grab the deck's edge.

Let us flip this into a human example. You're at the bar, and you start forcing yourself onto a girl you know. She doesn't appreciate your advances and tries to get away from you. Then when it goes to court, you say "Ah, no, it's alright, I did everything I could to make sure she was comfortable and safe".
Old 01-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #25799
Tcoat

Quote:
So, forcing a dog to do something it clearly doesn't want to do is ok? If I see a dog scrambling to get away from something, that tells me it doesn't want to do it. Seeing the way that dog reacted to the water reminded me of my old dog's reaction to falling in the pool. He HATED it, and panicked in the exact same way, trying to grab the deck's edge.

Let us flip this into a human example. You're at the bar, and you start forcing yourself onto a girl you know. She doesn't appreciate your advances and tries to get away from you. Then when it goes to court, you say "Ah, no, it's alright, I did everything I could to make sure she was comfortable and safe".
I DID NOT say it was OK! I said that the editing could make it look worse than it is and I would withhold judgment until there were more FACTS.
Dadhawk (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:38 PM   #25800
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
I DID NOT say it was OK! I said that the editing could make it look worse than it is and I would withhold judgment until there were more FACTS.
The video is factual enough, in my opinion. Unless by "editing" they mean that it was 100% CGI, I don't see how it could look worse than what it actually was.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #25801
Tcoat

Quote:
The video is factual enough, in my opinion. Unless by "editing" they mean that it was 100% CGI, I don't see how it could look worse than what it actually was.
Anything can be made to look worse than it is by editing. They could have chopped all the tail wagging happy dog sections as he gladly leaps into the pool out of it. Not saying they did but we don't know. All we know at this point is what the video maker wants us to know. I can not pass judgment on what exists.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #25802
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Anything can be made to look worse than it is by editing. They could have chopped all the tail wagging happy dog sections as he gladly leaps into the pool out of it. Not saying they did but we don't know. All we know at this point is what the video maker wants us to know. I can not pass judgment on what exists.
The truth (as always) is somewhere inbetween.

Heck @Cole even your original description with the part about the 5 or 6 outboard motors churning up the water created a different visual image than what was reality. I had this vision of a circle of swirling propellers and them throwing the dog in the middle of them. That isn't even close to the video.

As far as the video itself, it is obvious the dog is frightened and does not want to go in the water. If they had been practicing and this time the dog was apprehensive then they should have waited and tried again, not forcing it.

That said, at least from what I can see in the video, the puppy doesn't look any more panic stricken than my Newfie does when there are fireworks going on outside, and maybe only slightly more so than when I try to get her in a tub to take a bath.

The biggest "crime" here is the handler trying to force the dog, who trusts him without question, to do something it obviously doesn't want to do.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (01-19-2017), Tcoat (01-19-2017)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis