follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
Randoman5

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Porsche 911 GT3 RS, My Experience

Last night I was very lucky to have the opportunity to drive a Porsche 991.1 911 GT3 RS, and I thought it might be interesting to write down my impressions of this rather singular experience.

First off, a little background. I currently own a 13 BRZ which is stock save for exhaust. Previous performance cars I have owned are limited to the 1994 6 speed LT1 Trans Am I bought in high school and an 03 Civic Si.

In the past few years I've also had the chance to do a little driving in a 991 911 Carrera S which was manual and a C7 Corvette Stingray Automatic. The fastest vehicle (up to last night) that I've used is a mid 90s CBR 600 I own.

My first impressions upon getting into the the GT3 RS was one of disorientation. It feels a little bit space-ship like inside due to all the buttons and digital displays. The PDK feels very much like a conventional automatic transmission with Park, Neutral, Reverse and Drive. The complex instruments and speedometer sitting low in the instrument panel made me appreciate the simplicity and perfection of the big round tach and digital speedo in my car. It's much faster and easier to get the information you need at a glance in the BRZ.

The car had the fixed buckets and I was surprised how normal and comfortable they felt. I'm a pretty big guy, (6-1, 250) and I fit in them better than I fit in the seats in my BRZ. They also seemed to offer slightly less support to my body than the tight buckets in the BRZ. If I were buying a Porsche offered with these seats I wouldn't hesitate to choose them.

The steering wheel is positively tiny, almost to the extent that it feels a little too small. I'm sure given time I'd get used to it. The car feels very low. Both 991 cars I drove did. The BRZ is a small, low car but it doesn't feel like its nearly as low as the 911s which are actually a bit bigger.

I started my test drive at night and it was mostly confined to residential through streets and some very tight curvy backroads. Towards the end of the drive there was a very light drizzle of rain.

The first thing I noticed was the steering. The steering is just the slightest bit more direct and noticeably lighter and quicker than my BRZ. It takes a little getting used to particularly in a car as large and I would soon find out, intimidatingly powerful.

When I got a small piece of straight road I asked the owner if the car would spin it's tires from normal speeds from big throttle inputs and he said it wouldn't so I gave it the beans. The engine in the GT3 RS is INSANE.

The transmission responds instantly, smoothly and seamlessly to throttle input in automatic mode. I have spent 99% of my adult life driving cars with manual transmissions and always find myself kind of disoriented when driving a car with an automatic. This was particularly so in the RS. The sensation of cruising along normally at low RPM and summoning so much noise and acceleration instantaneously without anymore effort than moving my foot was kind of scary.

The GT3 RS accelerates like nothing I've ever driven before, including my bike. Since I got my bike I had sort of resigned myself to the fact that I'd be forever jaded to fast cars. I was wrong. The engine in the RS makes huge torque everywhere. It has every bit as much low end grunt as my LT1 Trans Am and pulls relentlessly through the tach. When I say relentlessly I mean relentlessly. It's almost literally breathtaking. I wasn't expecting it at all.

I promised myself before I was done I'd get at least one redline upshift in. I found this rather challenging. The car accelerates so violently I found myself backing off repeatedly in the 5000-5500 rev range with nearly 4000 rpm left to go. The sound this car made with the stock exhaust is almost indescribable. With the dual mode set in the loud setting it is as loud as I'd want any car to be. It's louder than the aftermarket exhaust on my BRZ and the sound is absolutely spine tingling, race car perfect. I think it's the best sounding engine I've ever heard.

I don't think I really got a feel for the handling of the car. With all the nannies on I was still able to summon the rear end to spin a bit both in a straight line and in slower corners without too much provocation. The throttle response is instant.

I drive my BRZ on snows in Cleveland winters and do quite a bit of snow drifting both on public roads and parking lots. I've never gotten myself close to trouble doing this in the BRZ, which after about two years of ownership I feel extremely confident driving. Driving someone else's $200k car with 11 inch wide rear sport cup 2s and two and half times the power of the BRZ left me feeling intimidated to say the least.

The car barely moves on its suspension. The steering is quick and light and the car feels as though it might punish you for aggression on tight backroads. While the throttle is progressive, there's just so much power and instant response the car would take a lot of getting used to. I feel like I'd have been much more comfortable with a manual transmission because I would have more control over how much power I was applying.

My overall impressions: This is just so much car. I'm not going to lie, I found it scary. The car is so capable I think only a supremely talented and experienced driver could tap into much of what it can do on public roads. The combination of its fast, light steering and it's insane powertrain make it feel as though it might be on the knife edge of disaster at all times. I'm not sure that's actually true, but in my brief experience that's how I felt.

The engine is the stuff of all my fantasies. It's one of those cars I think I'd never be satisfied driving normally and would get me into a great deal of trouble. In the one instance I found myself brave enough rev it to red line I was going over 90 mph when I chickened out and got on the brakes. If you got at all used to this sort of thing I could see indulging far too often and getting into legal trouble.

When I got out of the car I found myself kind of overwhelmed. I think I could have more fun in the driving I did in my own car which invites one to push towards its limits in many more situations.

The directness of the steering was like nothing I've ever driven. It made my BRZ feel the slightest bit sloppy off center. That being said I think I actually prefer the steering in my BRZ. The way it loads up in corners feels much more natural and rewarding in most situations. It's quite possible the Porsche would do the same if pushed harder, but as I've mentioned pushing the car harder feels dangerous.

The PDK is an absolutely amazing technical achievement. It effortlessly and smoothly keeps the engine in it's powerband and backs off when you do. The shifts are incredibly fast and gentle. I can rev match downshift extremely well. When I do it, it feels almost instantaneous and smooth. I find it incredibly rewarding. When I drove the C7 Corvette with the 8 speed automatic it felt clunky and abrupt and slow compared to what I can do with a stick and a clutch pedal. The PDK makes me feel a bit clunky and abrupt and slow. But I'd still rather do it myself. I just get much more enjoyment out of practicing my hard earned skill.

The brakes on the GT3 RS were carbon ceramic. I never got close to pushing them and they protested their cold use with so much noise I'd have thought any other car needed new pads. The car was very stable in braking, even when it got a little wet. They were the slightest bit grabby at low speeds, but I think this is something I'd get used to.

Final thoughts: I don't think I'd want a GT3 RS. The car is so ruthlessly capable I think it would be hard for any responsible person to have the sort of fun I like to have driving. Even if I drove the car all the time and got used to the acceleration, which I think I would, its limits are so high there are not many places you could really find the edges of the car. There's no substitute for me personally to having a stick and a clutch pedal. The added inputs, control and challenge of putting it all together are really an integral part of driving enjoyment for me. The time I've put in practicing rev matching and heel toeing , nailing the perfect 2-3 shift and the ability to choose how much torque I'm putting to the road without conscious thought makes me feel like I'm doing something special when I drive.

Aside from the sound, OH MY GOD THE SOUND, I think I preferred the Carrera S with the manual transmission. It felt just a bit less knife edged and I felt significantly more in control. I even had the confidence to hang out the rear just a bit. The conspicuousness of that giant carbon fiber wing tends to add to the anxiety. I was making a lot of noise (my friends back at the house told me they heard us every time I ripped it) This made me anxious that were there any police nearby they'd key in on the bright orange Porsche with the giant wing.

I think for me personally the sweet spot would be something like a GT3 touring, with all of the sound but without the scary automatic or giant wing.

I went to an amusement park the same day I drove the car. I rode a slingshot ride that catapulted me 360 feet in the air and another that strapped me into a fabric harness and dropped me 150 feet. The adrenaline rush that accompanied those things was really pretty similar to the RS at full tilt. It is an absolutely incredible machine. I'm very very grateful I got the experience, but later in the evening when I left I hammered down the same tight backroads in my BRZ and felt so much more confident and in control. The turns were more thrilling as the steering loaded up and the car took a noticeable set on it's suspension. It occurs to me that at least in terms of tactile experience the BRZ is not out of the GT3 RS's league. It has things to offer that car doesn't, the thrill of the mundane.

There's a good chance that circumstance will allow me to drive the car again and if that happens I'm sure I'll become more comfortable in it. One could scarcely find a more unsettling place to drive it for the first time than in the dark on tight, hilly, unfamiliar backroads. But, I think more than anything the experience made me appreciate my BRZ more. It is a really special car that provides a really special experience with capabilities and a price point that urge you wring out every last inch of its performance. It has dynamics and inputs that make it feel truly special even compared to the gods of the automotive universe.

Last edited by Randoman5; 09-03-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Randoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Randoman5 For This Useful Post:
Atmo (09-03-2019), bhmax (09-05-2019), BRZyJ (09-03-2019), Capt Spaulding (09-03-2019), Feistyfrog (09-03-2019), Hot-Lava_Dave (12-11-2019), JesseG (09-06-2019), JoeC (09-03-2019), joro2 (09-04-2019), korhun (09-03-2019), new2subaru (09-03-2019), Pat (09-03-2019), Petah78 (07-06-2020), rennlistuser3 (09-03-2019), ROFL it's Waffle (10-28-2019), R_E_L (09-03-2019), shiumai (09-03-2019), WolfpackS2k (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Great review..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randoman5 View Post
The engine in the GT3 RS is INSANE.
Aside from the sound, OH MY GOD THE SOUND,
korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
Randoman5 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
This is like reading a story by someone who got to bang Scarlett Johansson.
arkanist (09-03-2019), b11lee (09-06-2019), bhmax (09-05-2019), DAEMANO (09-04-2019), HKz (09-03-2019), Impureclient (09-03-2019), JD001 (09-03-2019), jflogerzi (09-04-2019), Pekingduck (09-10-2019), Randoman5 (09-03-2019), sal (09-04-2019), WolfpackS2k (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Great post. I don't think people really understand just HOW capable modern sports cars are. It's kind of freakish when compared to what we had 20 years ago. Your post was very well written. I hope others can gain some insight to what these cars are really like when pushed. It really clarifies how ridiculous they are for street use. And how you really don't need much more than an 86*.
+10 points for you, Randoman5.

*of course, you can never have too much power or garage space. 600 HP is almost enough. =)
Old 09-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Quote:
The fastest vehicle (up to last night) that I've used is a mid 90s CBR 600 I own.

The GT3 RS accelerates like nothing I've ever driven before, including my bike. Since I got my bike I had sort of resigned myself to the fact that I'd be forever jaded to fast cars. I was wrong.

I think it's time for you to get a new bike then

My s1000rr is a big reason why I got the 86... 'Fast' cars just don't seem all that fast anymore. I drove a GT3 RS on track at the porsche experience and.. meh.. wasn't all that impressed to be honest. Really nice car don't get me wrong, but for the money (and money being key in this statement) to own and drive around I like the 86 more.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
Randoman5

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I guess it's really all a matter of perspective. I thought a 5.0 Mustang was fast when I first drove one in the late 90s. Then when I bought my Trans Am it didn't seem fast anymore. When I got my bike it was mind boggling until I had it for a while and started looking into sprockets and newer bikes. My BRZ has never felt fast, but if you look up acceleration times it does better than those 5.0 Mustangs. Perhaps on the highway or a race track in daylight the GT3 RS wouldn't have felt quite so insane. I wasn't expecting it to accelerate like that. I know lots of new turbo engine cars make more power and torque, but on the tight roads in the dark it was alarming how quickly the numbers on the speedo added up and scenery passed me by. I've never been in a car that planted me into my seat like that. Frankly I just don't know where one could use much of that without getting arrested.

I'm planning on making my BRZ faster with a Edelbrock Supercharger at some point. There are definitely times in traffic where the lack of torque keeps me from getting past slow moving vehicles on the highway, but after driving the RS I really appreciate having a car thats great to drive with a great chassis and steering that allows you to really push it without grave risk to life and drivers' license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
I think it's time for you to get a new bike then

My s1000rr is a big reason why I got the 86... 'Fast' cars just don't seem all that fast anymore. I drove a GT3 RS on track at the porsche experience and.. meh.. wasn't all that impressed to be honest. Really nice car don't get me wrong, but for the money (and money being key in this statement) to own and drive around I like the 86 more.
Randoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Randoman5 For This Useful Post:
xdavidx (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Thoroughly entertaining review, thanks Randoman5.

The amusement park ride comparison was so funny. Somehow recently I wound up watching YouTubes of those two rides where the passengers passed out. After reading your night driving experience, I could see how the combination of sound, g forces, low visibility and adrenaline could induce vertigo into passengers.

And to think that soon similar performance will be available at one-third the price in a C8, wow.

Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
JesseG (09-06-2019), xdavidx (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 06:11 PM   #8
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Quote:
There are definitely times in traffic where the lack of torque keeps me from getting past slow moving vehicles on the highway.

This is probably the biggest issue I have with the 86. Can't count how many times I am unable to pull out and get around someone because I know the car won't accelerate quick enough to not get rear ended.

It is funny though how perceptions of speed change and how the cars of the 80s and 90s that seemed so fast are now so incredibly slow. Those late 90s 5.0 mustangs man... my 98 civic could never keep up and my civic was FAST

People joke about how long the 1/4 drag race scenes are in fast n furious, but it really did take 3 minutes to get through a quarter mile back then.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:52 PM   #9
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
Can't count how many times I am unable to pull out and get around someone because I know the car won't accelerate quick enough to not get rear ended.
Really? I mean c'mon....really? That doesn't sound like a problem with the car to me.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Really? I mean c'mon....really? That doesn't sound like a problem with the car to me.

I said it's my biggest issue with it, not that it is a big issue. But... in LA it is a bigger issue than other places. Every couple of miles here on the freeway you get stuck in a spot where traffic in your lane is totally stopped and heavy traffic in the next lane are flying by at 90mph. To not get rear ended and change lanes... you need a hell of a lot of power. A GT3 RS would do better in this situation.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I just so happen to have both a BRZ and a GT3 (non-RS). They both have their ups and downs - I originally planned on selling the BRZ when I bought the GT3 but couldn't let myself part with it given how much money I've wasted in mods vs. the return I could get selling it. Its a fantastic car and really more than enough for daily driving and some light track work.

The BRZ has an edelbrock supercharger but still feels anemic compared to the GT3. the engines couldn't be further apart in terms of excitement. The GT3 is a screamer, people notice it which for me is a downside - it gets a lot more attention particularly when driving spiritedly which is something I'm not particularly fond of. Per OP's comments, you tend to be well above the speed limit to enjoy this car which is a bummer - it's definitely only OK to find its limits on the track. The PDK in the GT3 is amazing, shifts are like gunshots in PDK sport mode at 9K RPM but I still prefer the manual in the BRZ for daily enjoyment because its still fun even at low RPMs - if I can upgrade to a manual GT3 someday I will!

The GT3 is certainly more special, the interior, the exhaust note, the big wing and most of all the carbon bucket seats - you can have them when you rip them from my cold dead hands, so good! The climb from 5k to 9k RPM makes me smile from ear to ear every time.
The BRZ is a great car in day to day traffic and a blast up the mountains, more stealthy, has handling and good looks. It's more nimble, feels smaller and more approachable/playful.
Attached Images

djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (09-03-2019), DAEMANO (09-04-2019), Hot-Lava_Dave (12-11-2019), jflogerzi (09-04-2019), korhun (09-04-2019), new2subaru (09-04-2019), Randoman5 (09-03-2019), ROFL it's Waffle (10-28-2019), R_E_L (09-03-2019), WolfpackS2k (09-04-2019), xdavidx (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #12
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I need a better job

i had the chance to drive my friend's 997 GT3 RS a few years back, and came away with similar feelings, albeit it was a 6 speed and an ever so slightly less insane motor. Still plenty insane and fun to wind it out. The suspension was stiff and required some acclimation when taking some some poorly paved on ramps out in Long Island. Pedal to the floor, wind it out, so glorious, but it was over far too fast. I didn't like the idea of jail, and after a couple good runs I'm sure the local law enforcement was out looking for what was making that sound. Power and limits are beyond my driving capacity, and waay beyond any limits imposed on public roads. But god bless Porsche for making them.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #13
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have never driven anything that can be considered fast but I bet those twisty roads had a bit to do with the sensation of speed. I drove my car on both Big and Little Tujunga this past weekend to get a feel for the new header and E85 combo, and while I could feel the new bump in power on the wider/faster Big Tujunga, the narrow and tighter Little Tujunga actually made the car feel fast. Corners came up quick and the closer canyon walls rushing past in my peripheral vision added to the sense of speed.

While I have no doubt the GT3 would feel like a monster on the highway, the added sense of speed when driving on narrow roads probably contributed in a big way to the terror.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:41 AM   #14
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
I just so happen to have both a BRZ and a GT3 (non-RS). They both have their ups and downs - I originally planned on selling the BRZ when I bought the GT3 but couldn't let myself part with it given how much money I've wasted in mods vs. the return I could get selling it. Its a fantastic car and really more than enough for daily driving and some light track work.

The BRZ has an edelbrock supercharger but still feels anemic compared to the GT3. the engines couldn't be further apart in terms of excitement. The GT3 is a screamer, people notice it which for me is a downside - it gets a lot more attention particularly when driving spiritedly which is something I'm not particularly fond of. Per OP's comments, you tend to be well above the speed limit to enjoy this car which is a bummer - it's definitely only OK to find its limits on the track. The PDK in the GT3 is amazing, shifts are like gunshots in PDK sport mode at 9K RPM but I still prefer the manual in the BRZ for daily enjoyment because its still fun even at low RPMs - if I can upgrade to a manual GT3 someday I will!

The GT3 is certainly more special, the interior, the exhaust note, the big wing and most of all the carbon bucket seats - you can have them when you rip them from my cold dead hands, so good! The climb from 5k to 9k RPM makes me smile from ear to ear every time.
The BRZ is a great car in day to day traffic and a blast up the mountains, more stealthy, has handling and good looks. It's more nimble, feels smaller and more approachable/playful.
What a fantastic pair!
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
djdnz (09-04-2019)