follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

View Poll Results: Thoughts on FT86 rear seats
Love them, big purchase factor 34 30.63%
OK with them, not a big purchase factor 63 56.76%
Hate them, wish they weren't there 14 12.61%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-10-2019, 05:38 PM   #57
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I routinely fit 3 people back there, so I'd say they're good. I thought about taking them out but I like the noise reduction and it will only result in a measly 25 lb weight reduction anyway. Not worth the trade off
Old 07-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #58
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I dunno, I still cling to the idea that because I have semi useless seats behind me my rates are slightly lower. I may be wrong, but who cares, it really is a useless debate since so many other factors are much more prominent.

I'm pretty sure Subaru put the seats there so they can fit a child in a car seat or easily stow a backpack/briefcase. Either way twin life is better having the rear seats vs just being a 2 seat car.
slightly lower than what? an 86 without backseats? it isn't like we have a car with 2 variants that we can truly compare rates like the 300ZX being offered as a 2 seater and 2+2
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #59
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
slightly lower than what? an 86 without backseats? it isn't like we have a car with 2 variants that we can truly compare rates like the 300ZX being offered as a 2 seater and 2+2
Yeah slightly lower than if the twins came with just 2 seats. But like I said in my previous comment, it really doesn't matter at all since even if it did effect the rates in a minor capacity it is out shined by more prominent factors like history, age, area, sex, etc. So there is no way to know other than asking an expert.

That being said, having an extra 2 seats gets me lower rates 100% ;P
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #60
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
Yeah slightly lower than if the twins came with just 2 seats. But like I said in my previous comment, it really doesn't matter at all since even if it did effect the rates in a minor capacity it is out shined by more prominent factors like history, age, area, sex, etc. So there is no way to know other than asking an expert.

That being said, having an extra 2 seats gets me lower rates 100% ;P
I'm just perplexed at how you could even compare unless your agent has imaginary rates for a hypothetical 86 without backseats. Never ever been asked about backseats for insurance..
Old 07-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #61
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
I'm just perplexed at how you could even compare unless your agent has imaginary rates for a hypothetical 86 without backseats. Never ever been asked about backseats for insurance..

lol dude Im just joking around, because this is so pointless. That's why I said, we can't know for sure without asking an actuary and even if we asked and found out who cares, not like it matters to anyone who owns a twin. It would only matter to someone shopping for a car and considering a twin and comparing insurance rates, and even then I doubt that factor would even register on any scale of deciding to get a twin or not.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #62
HKz
Reformed

o.O so this whole thread was a joke to you? noted
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 PM   #63
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
HKz (07-10-2019), soundman98 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #64
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Garage
No this semi off topic is pointless. I already farted out my opinion that of course I praise the rear seats who wouldn't. Easy to remove if you don't like them. Those back seats are better than having nothing back there, no question.
The topic of if having rear seats reduces insurances rates is very pointless because it doesn't matter either way is what I'm saying.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #65
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
I don't get you ......
your first post talks about how journalists will be the death of 2+2 cars.

the reason why it's a 2+2 is because car makers are very smart, they know who exactly they want to sell this car to and who will pay for it (which are often two different groups of people, i.e. parents vs children, stay at home parent vs primary/sole income generator), so 2+2 is there purely for insurance + cost of ownership reasons.

otherwise, cost to own a pure 2 seater coupe would be too high. total cost of ownership is the most important thing here, most people just see MSRP and forget there's secondary costs of owning a car such as insurance, maintenance, and whether you can do more than one thing with a single car vs owning 2 or more cars to accomplish the same thing.

The S13/S14, Honda Prelude, and a host of other "entry level sports cars" were all 2+2 for a reason, and it wasn't so you can cram short adults into the back seat.

Journalists won't be the death of cars, it will be regular buyers who 1) do not read enthusiast magazines, and 2) are not as invested in a car as people like you and me.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Feistyfrog (07-11-2019), p1l0t (07-10-2019), soundman98 (07-10-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #66
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
The reason the belief exists that 2 seaters cost more to insure comes from the fact that there are a handful of cars that came in 2 seater AND 2+2 and the same person asks to be quoted between the 2 models and the 2 seater pretty much always has increased insurance rates.

Of course, there are other factors at play besides just 2 extra seats. Primarily, the 2 seaters are typically specialized trim levels which cost more and the people interested in 2+2 vs 2 seater are different and I suspect the ones interested in just the 2 seater come from a higher risk group.

As for my opinion of the back seats, meh. I've had one person in the rear seats exactly once in my 5 years of ownership but it is nice to just be able to throw stuff back there.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #67
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
your first post talks about how journalists will be the death of 2+2 cars.

the reason why it's a 2+2 is because car makers are very smart, they know who exactly they want to sell this car to and who will pay for it (which are often two different groups of people, i.e. parents vs children, stay at home parent vs primary/sole income generator), so 2+2 is there purely for insurance + cost of ownership reasons.

otherwise, cost to own a pure 2 seater coupe would be too high. total cost of ownership is the most important thing here, most people just see MSRP and forget there's secondary costs of owning a car such as insurance, maintenance, and whether you can do more than one thing with a single car vs owning 2 or more cars to accomplish the same thing.

The S13/S14, Honda Prelude, and a host of other "entry level sports cars" were all 2+2 for a reason, and it wasn't so you can cram short adults into the back seat.

Journalists won't be the death of cars, it will be regular buyers who 1) do not read enthusiast magazines, and 2) are not as invested in a car as people like you and me.
If and only if the seat played any part at all in insurance the difference in insurance rates would be so low that it would be meaningless as far as cost of ownership goes.

"Oh it costs me $20 a year more? No way am I buying that car!"
I repeat my repeatedly repeated statement. THINKING THAT THE SEATS REDUCE INSURANCE RATES IS DUMB.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:29 PM   #68
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
The reason the belief exists that 2 seaters cost more to insure comes from the fact that there are a handful of cars that came in 2 seater AND 2+2 and the same person asks to be quoted between the 2 models and the 2 seater pretty much always has increased insurance rates.

Of course, there are other factors at play besides just 2 extra seats. Primarily, the 2 seaters are typically specialized trim levels which cost more and the people interested in 2+2 vs 2 seater are different and I suspect the ones interested in just the 2 seater come from a higher risk group.

As for my opinion of the back seats, meh. I've had one person in the rear seats exactly once in my 5 years of ownership but it is nice to just be able to throw stuff back there.

This ^ This is all it comes down to. No trying to fool the insurance companies. No 4 seats means you are a more responsible driver. No profiling the "normal" buyer of a car. It all comes down to cost of the vehicle. It is so simple I don't understand why it is such a prevalent myth.
Dadhawk (07-11-2019), Feistyfrog (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #69
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This ^ This is all it comes down to. No trying to fool the insurance companies. No 4 seats means you are a more responsible driver. No profiling the "normal" buyer of a car. It all comes down to cost of the vehicle. It is so simple I don't understand why it is such a prevalent myth.
I guess I should expand on the bit where I mention the people who buy just the 2 seaters are a higher risk group because it IS a factor in the rates but not in the way I think you are reading what I wrote.

Basically insurance rates are calculated by perceived risk vs expected costs and it's all based on statistics. If they see that the 2 seaters end up in a statistically higher incidence rate than the 2+2, then that drives up the expected cost to insure that version of the car and rates will increase for anyone who wants one. Now, why would the 2 seater tend to end up in more accidents? Typically because the people who buy them are higher risk to begin with.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #70
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I guess I should expand on the bit where I mention the people who buy just the 2 seaters are a higher risk group because it IS a factor in the rates but not in the way I think you are reading what I wrote.

Basically insurance rates are affected by perceived risk vs expected costs and it's all based on statistics. If they see that the 2 seaters end up in a statistically higher incidence rate than the 2+2, then that drives up the expected cost to insure that version of the car and rates will increase for anyone who wants one.

Now, why would the 2 seater tend to end up in more accidents? Typically because the people who buy them are higher risk to begin with, which is what I meant when I said that people interested in it are from a higher risk group.
I agree with all that you wrote. It is the other posts that ignore the rates are based on hard stats and just assume that because it is coupe then everybody that buys one are automatically considered a higher risk.

The driver risk groups are totally separate from the car model risk groups. That is why I pay $400 a year while an 18 year old dude next door with 2 accidents and 12 tickets pays $6,000.
Lynxis (07-11-2019)