follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2017, 06:45 PM   #99
accel

Drives: Bmw
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I think it was possible to get a base 86 without the LSD in some countries, but all 86s made in North America came with a LSD IIRC.
Well, I just googled scion frs 2013 brochure pdf and it does not list lsd anywhere in the print amongst other bells and whistles.

Also, I remember visiting both - scion and subaru websites back in time with similar result, but obviously can't prove it now.
accel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:53 PM   #100
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
Well, I just googled scion frs 2013 brochure pdf and it does not list lsd anywhere in the print amongst other bells and whistles.

Also, I remember visiting both - scion and subaru websites back in time with similar result, but obviously can't prove it now.
Toyota press release from 2012:

Quote:
Power is transferred to the pavement via a standard Torsen® limited-slip differential.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ar+march22.htm

As stated by others, an open differential lower trim option was offered overseas and early speculation wasn't positive that the car would get an LSD. From day 1 all 86's in North America were sold new with Torsen LSD's.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #101
accel

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Toyota press release from 2012:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...ar+march22.htm

As stated by others, an open differential lower trim option was offered overseas and early speculation wasn't positive that the car would get an LSD. From day 1 all 86's in North America were sold new with Torsen LSD's.
Excellent. Still proves my point. I would NOT buy Scion believing it does NOT have LSD, and would prefer Subaru that had LSD on paper. Someone in marketing department had to be fired.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #102
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Excellent. Still proves my point. I would NOT buy Scion believing it does NOT have LSD, and would prefer Subaru that had LSD on paper. Someone in marketing department had to be fired.
Your language is extremely unclear.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:16 PM   #103
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofrsnsokleen View Post
Ehhhhhhh.... I'd say just a ball park figure of mark up over current msrp would suffice, i.e 34k compared to a regular stock trim. Most people don't really care about the tariffs and cost of nut over bolts etc.
Low production run, extremely niche car, huge development and export costs (doesn't matter if people "care" about tariffs or not they effect the price of the car) my guess is you would not see such a beast for much under $40K. That is if they could even meet all the requirements and get the green light to export to the US.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #104
Tcoat

Quote:
Scion is a rebadged Toyota. It very clearly says in all the Scion materials that it has the LSD. There is no way that anybody should be confused on that. There was one version of the 86 sold only in Japan that did not have a LSD. The only point you are making is that you did not research.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #105
accel

Quote:
Your language is extremely unclear.
Ok. Potential buyer is considering either FRS or BRZ. The buyer checks manufacturer websites and compares two candidates. The buyer also gets nice color brochures for FRS and BRZ and spends some time researching the cars. It catches buyer's attention that according to provided information Scion FRS does not have LSD (limited slip differential) as either standard equipment or extra option. The buyer also notices that Subaru BRZ does have LSD in the list of options.

Buyers rules Scion out and goes straight to Subaru dealership.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #106
Tcoat

Quote:
Ok. Potential buyer is considering either FRS or BRZ. The buyer checks manufacturer websites and compares two candidates. The buyer also gets nice color brochures for FRS and BRZ and spends some time researching the cars. It catches buyer's attention that according to provided information Scion FRS does not have LSD (limited slip differential) as either standard equipment or extra option. The buyer also notices that Subaru BRZ does have LSD in the list of options.

Please show me one thing that ever EVER said the Scion did not have an LSD. Just one. ALL of the advertising for the FRS said it had it. . The Scion is the exact same car with the only difference being the BRZ and overseas 86s have some more luxury items in higher trim levels. Do you think the Scion was made differently?
strat61caster (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 07:33 PM   #107
strat61caster
-

Quote:
It catches buyer's attention that according to provided information Scion FRS does not have LSD (limited slip differential) as either standard equipment or extra option.
Your hypothetical is just that, a hypothetical. I'll dig up my brochure from 2012, a Torsen LSD was listed as standard equipment.

Edit, fyi tcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There was one version of the 86 sold only in Japan that did not have a LSD.
Australia made the differential optional too it wasn't available on base AT's early on.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #108
accel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Scion is a rebadged Toyota. It very clearly says in all the Scion materials that it has the LSD. There is no way that anybody should be confused on that. There was one version of the 86 sold only in Japan that did not have a LSD. The only point you are making is that you did not research.
Well, I'm having a brochure by "©2012 Scion, a marque of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A." in front of me and it does not have any mentioning regarding LSD.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #109
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
. It catches buyer's attention that according to provided information Scion FRS does not have LSD (limited slip differential) as either standard equipment or extra option. The buyer also notices that Subaru BRZ does have LSD in the list of options.

Rookie, as per my window sticker and brochure pinned on my garage wall I can confirm lsd is standard

also: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8517
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #110
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Well, I'm having a brochure by "©2012 Scion, a marque of Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A." in front of me and it does not have any mentioning regarding LSD.
Scion never sold this car as a 2012 model year in the US. I'd love to see the brochure that contradicts that.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 PM   #111
accel

Quote:
Scion never sold this car as a 2012 model year in the US. I'd love to see the brochure that contradicts that.
This brochure is about scion 2013. Try harder.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #112
Tcoat

Quote:
One of those pretty picture ones from the dealer? Shows you there is an engine and how beautiful the seats are? The BRZ one won't say anything about the LSD in their version of that brochure either. If that is the extent of your research then no wonder you are so confused.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar131342.html
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0EOrzn7-Qc"]2013 Scion FR-S | TorsenĀ® Limited Slip Differential Explained - YouTube[/ame]
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...dont-know.html
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/21/s...-differential/