follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_ View Post
I believe there have been more than one independent shock dyno's which show the dampers are the same between the two cars. Only the spring rates are different.
"The Scion uses softer springs and stiffer shocks" Read this in a car and driver article located here third paragraph under chassis. Whatever the actual specs are i just love the way it handles from stock but i really do feel the need to drop the car lol, so lets see what the solution is.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
"The Scion uses softer springs and stiffer shocks" Read this in a car and driver article located here third paragraph under chassis. Whatever the actual specs are i just love the way it handles from stock but i really do feel the need to drop the car lol, so lets see what the solution is.
Yes, that info was passed around it seems in the reviews, but it looks like its not the case according to actual testing. I think a lot of info can be lost in translation when communicating with Japanese, as they don't seem to be as fluent in English as most western countries.

I completely agree with you though about being hesitant on altering the suspension, without being sure you aren't going to f something up.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blu_ For This Useful Post:
steel86gt (09-26-2018)
Old 07-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
yomny

That's good to know, it really didn't make much sense to change the specs of such similar automobiles . Hopefully we get some nice reviews of vendors with their products and how they perform. I'll like to keep this neutral/oversteer feeling that car has.
yomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #18
atledreier

Drives: GT86 DGM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
The GT86 is even more understeer biased than the BRZ, sadly. Even then I haven'r read ay review stating that the GT86 is udersteery at all.
atledreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
der_rainman

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Andrew - perhaps you can post the OEM spring rate for the BRZ and 86 in your original post. It would be helpful for those "getting started" to see what they get out of the box. I have already seen some manufacturers providing really bizarre spring rates for the BRZ/86 (softer rear than front).
der_rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
yomny

Thats a good idea, I'm assuming the independent companies know what they are doing but the engineers I think knew best. The 2/3 relative ratio isn't anything like the 6/4 things we are seeing
Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #21
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
One more thing....

If we increase spring rates in the front and in the rear by the same factor, say 10%, this does not that the balance of the car will remain the same as stock. There are other issues at play here. The front and rear suspensions are very different and thus react differently to changes in spring rate (and ride height). So keeping the same "ratio" of spring rates front/rear does not necessarily mean you are keeping the same handling balance.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #22
gonzo

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm just afraid to really mess up the cars amazing handling characteristics, but it needs to be dropped lol. I'm seeing many companies coming out with 7/7,8/8 for front and rear rates and can't help but wonder if this will retain the stock character. The stock ride is nice and stiff, so maybe a set of coilovers with similar rates to stock(maybe a bit higher) would be great? I'll wait and see before choosing coilovers and spring rate, hopefully a few write up on different rates and their behaviors will come along
have you decided on springs yet? I also want a drop but want to keep the same feeling on the car
gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
yomny

I acutally went with fortune auto coilovers, with a 7/7k rate on the swift springs that i got with the coilovers. They ride exceptionally well, for a daily driver and even better at the track.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #24
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
RCE, I am looking at your product again. I use a few brands on my other cars I know well, and trust, but you seem to have an angle on the subie world

let me just be sure I understand:
1-your coils are linear rate front and rear and both set at 250lb,
2-they are wound and manufactured domestically? where? major shop? ISO?
3-Can you tell me what the grade of steel is? what do these weigh each?
4-Do you offer any warranty over my life of ownership?
5-any reason why youre going soft overall on rates?

my end goal is EITHER
Racecomp Engineering Tarmac II coilovers or the KW3, but I need something now, and budget for the KW3 is not here yet, and I'm eager to see pricing on the tarmacs actually

thanks
gem
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmookher View Post
RCE, I am looking at your product again. I use a few brands on my other cars I know well, and trust, but you seem to have an angle on the subie world

let me just be sure I understand:
1-your coils are linear rate front and rear and both set at 250lb,

my end goal is EITHER
Racecomp Engineering Tarmac II coilovers or the KW3, but I need something now, and budget for the KW3 is not here yet, and I'm eager to see pricing on the tarmacs actually

thanks
gem
1-your coils are linear rate front and rear and both set at 250lb
correct. the progressive portion is kind of like a helper spring to keep things in contact and smooth out small bumps but for handling purposes you should consider them as linear.

made in the good ol' USA by Eibach.

http://performance-suspension.eibach...ty_unsurpassed

I'll have to get back to you on weight.

Yes, lifetime to original owner.

We're actually much much firmer than others up front and a little softer than most in the rear. Honestly we were surprised so many others are sooooo soft up front. Everyone else is really soft. Like real soft. The way we did things, the rear can still "work" and you can put power down easily, while the front is controlled much better and the balance is great. The front roll center is better kept in check, front dynamic alignment is better maintained, and you get better turn-in. The front end of this suspension isn't exactly a double-wishbone with perfect geometry...it's a Subaru and does need some spring rate to be controlled. With sticky tires all those other super soft front springs are gonna be sloppy and move around too much (or just ride the bumpstops...causing spring rates to spike and loss of grip). For the rear, having the rates where they are is a great combination of performance, consistency and drivability (i.e. it's easy to drive fast), comfort, and durability of the shock. The front dampers have a bit more headroom in terms of valving than the rear to be honest.

We're really, really happy with the springs. We did a couple of revisions (we were extremely fortunate to have an early start prior to the car being released thanks to Subaru of America) and feel that these fit the bill perfectly for a FUN daily driver that still sees the track or autocrosses, and they work really well with stickier tires. Springs, bushings, alignment, BAM....perfect for most users. You could later upgrade to the T2s or V3s, sell the springs, and keep everything else. OR just add the Konis and maybe some swaybars. But I do think if you're looking for something now, getting the springs and the basic foundation (bushings + alignment stuff) while you wait for a nice coilover (or the Koni option) is an awesome way to go.

- Andrew

Last edited by Racecomp Engineering; 10-23-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
flippy (06-10-2015), Fly Guy (12-04-2012), gmookher (10-23-2012), Scargod (01-29-2022)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
aaronosaurus
The data matters

Drives: WRBP BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Really this is one stepping stone for you to read more authoritative material on suspension.
Could you expand on what you consider good sources of information about suspension tuning? I've read Fred Phun's book, it covers a lot of the fundamentals but seems a bit dated(I don't really need to know how De Dion tubes work) [ame="http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Your-Car-Handle/dp/0912656468"]Amazon.com: How to Make Your Car Handle (9780912656465): Fred Puhn: Books[/ame]
aaronosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #27
iBRZ
fanboy

Drives: SWP Limited BRZ AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
have you decided on springs yet? I also want a drop but want to keep the same feeling on the car
Quote:
I'm just afraid to really mess up the cars amazing handling characteristics, but it needs to be dropped lol. I'm seeing many companies coming out with 7/7,8/8 for front and rear rates and can't help but wonder if this will retain the stock character. The stock ride is nice and stiff, so maybe a set of coilovers with similar rates to stock(maybe a bit higher) would be great? I'll wait and see before choosing coilovers and spring rate, hopefully a few write up on different rates and their behaviors will come along
^^THIS.

I want the RCE springs because I love the drop at .75" but I absolutely don't want to lose the tail happy nature of the stock BRZ. I don't want to change anything about the handling (maybe a little sharper). In an ideal world I could also flush up the wheels a bit AND have the drop without really losing the changing how it handles/slides...

The question is what's the magic formula?

Edited/

Last edited by iBRZ; 11-24-2012 at 10:02 PM.
iBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #28
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I'm overlooking it, but what are the spring stock rates on an FR-S?

Thx & Happy New Year, all!
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote