follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #1
bozack

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Red FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
IP Coil Packs

Due to the coil on cylinder one going bad and it being a common issue among us FR-S/BRZ's.. I looked for a alternative option to hopefully bypass the overheating of the coil and started to look at a aftermarket fix. I came across these and they do include a heat shield also. Has anyone ran these and if so what are your thoughts?
http://ignitionprojects.com/products...oil-scion-fr-s
Old 06-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Why not just coat the original coils in a heat deflector, like gold foil? Seems to have fixed the issue for most and it's much less expensive of a fix for your problem!
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #3
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
They look far superior to the stock coil packs! I'd like to hear if anyone has used them as well!
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
WHITE
Thats pretty neat

Drives: LOADING......
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If they're anything like these(based on the description of both they're similar)......

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Okad...ect-Coil-Packs

Then you can look here for remarks....

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19276

Edit:
And also you can read here for some more review, not an ft86 but same coilpacks...
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...on-D-coilpacks
WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WHITE For This Useful Post:
bozack (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
bozack

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Red FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE View Post
If they're anything like these(based on the description of both they're similar)......

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Okad...ect-Coil-Packs

Then you can look here for remarks....

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19276

Edit:
And also you can read here for some more review, not an ft86 but same coilpacks...
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...on-D-coilpacks
That was some very helpful information, and I appreciate it very much. I actually already ordered the Okada CP's, they were back ordered for 8 weeks, so I decided to go with IP CP's. They come with a heat shield and seem like a better setup.. I understand it is a way more expensive way to go, I just cannot afford my problem to keep duplicating and hopefully this will be a one stop fix. OEM coils are 105 a piece(after a discount through a friend who works at the dealership). A friend of mine, also a FR-S, has popped two of the same coils. Seems they do not do well under high heat, basically running the hell out of the car.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:07 AM   #6
four-mat

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Follow up questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozack View Post
That was some very helpful information, and I appreciate it very much. I actually already ordered the Okada CP's, they were back ordered for 8 weeks, so I decided to go with IP CP's. They come with a heat shield and seem like a better setup.. I understand it is a way more expensive way to go, I just cannot afford my problem to keep duplicating and hopefully this will be a one stop fix. OEM coils are 105 a piece(after a discount through a friend who works at the dealership). A friend of mine, also a FR-S, has popped two of the same coils. Seems they do not do well under high heat, basically running the hell out of the car.
Just curious would this at all be of use as just a random quick easy upgrade to a stock brz lol? I am serious I'm just looking for easy plug up as its my daily and don't have access to another car if some hickups that may occur like they did when I did my brakes and the rotor got seized to the hub then the brake pads the local shops sell for solid rotors didn't fit my caliper housing so I had to buy the Slotted rotor pads and that actually was a few bucks cheaper.
four-mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:36 PM   #7
Gutterboy

Drives: 2013 frs; 1988 porsche 944s - > 948
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
i realize i am resurrecting an old thread from the dead, but given the relevance of the issues i am facing i figured this might help someone to be buyer aware.

i had a coil pack fail issue last spring and decided to go ahead and jump on an opportunity for a part upgrade since the factory coils are known to fail at the 100km mark, and given the fact that i have been running boost for 60000 of those km i figure that's actually quite a run for the factory coils since i definitely drive the car in a spirited fashion with the extra power.

i went for the IP units and a spark plug change and all was well till i started having some issues but then after more tweaking i found that with the unique long thread on the spark plugs; the just tight enough on the spark plug is not enough for a block running boost. luckily with the extra long thread it didn't mess up the thread just backed them out enough to create misfires. Torqued up to spec with more fighting of building the socket stack to get the torque wrench on and then all was well..... for awhile.

ripped it apart again, and even thought maybe i have a fuel pump issue. in fact i got so nervous about how bad the problem could be i even did a compression test on the affected cylinder but it pressured up real good. whewww. Checked alot of things including even changing plugs to m50hl race plugs and problem stayed cause it couldn't possibly be the new coil pack from last spring right? wrong. swapped coil pack and problem moved.

willing to give IP a chance to figure out where to go from here but i still have misfires on other coils up to 6 counts. Things are not even a year old and i am almost back to where i started with the oem units before the replacement.

limping through on a spectra coil from rock auto that i got on the cheap while the one that limped my car is sent into their headquarters in california for them to analyze and see what they are going to do on their one year warranty. But i'm down an additional coil pack to get my daily going as well as what seems an unnecessary change of plugs to the race ones.

will report back with the endgame on this for everyone's benefit.
Gutterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gutterboy For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-06-2022), churchx (03-06-2022), grumpysnapper (03-07-2022)