follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #85
xclusive_brett

Drives: 08 scion xb
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
If you have intellect, balls of steel, and TRULY enjoy making things with your hands you should do like I did and become a machinist.

The pay can be good (usually starts around $20/hr maxes out around $38) and your skill level is dependent upon how well you pick things up and your understanding of what you are doing. One of the few careers left that reward you for working. The work itself is very rewarding too (depending on the industry you serve i guess)

That being said, I got lots more enjoyment working in the shop than I do now running it....but I make a VERY good living for a HS dropout that looks like a hippie/leprechaun/terrorist
Where do you work? I am currently finishing up some schooling to become an entry level machinist. I'm glad to hear you enjoy it!
Old 05-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #86
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusive_brett View Post
Where do you work? I am currently finishing up some schooling to become an entry level machinist. I'm glad to hear you enjoy it!

I run a small aerospace manufacturing company in Carson CA
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #87
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
I run a small aerospace manufacturing company in Carson CA
Need an employee?
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #88
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
Learn to code. Seriously. It's the best gig ever. And, you don't have to pay to learn it.

- six figure income
- work from your bedroom
- pants optional
- crazy competition for talent mean ever-higher pay and benefits
- flexible schedule (you make it)
- you're always one idea away from being a millionaire
- it's a product of intellect, so you can build said idea without a bank loan
- it's a new challenge a every day, new stuff to learn and play with
- no one cares how much money your parents had or whether you got to go to college. A degree is virtually worthless is this business. If you can code, you'll have a job, and if you can't, the paper won't get you past the 1st week.

So there are perks, but the biggest one is job security. Every company is slowly becoming a software company that might happen to make tires or chairs or whatever. Software is a part of everything, so everyone needs us, and the demand is only growing. I literally get job offers on a daily basis, no joke. You can't go wrong.... Unless you hate money and/or you enjoy manual labor.
There's A LOT more to being a good developer than knowing a programming language. You need really good problem solving skills, and an ability to see fine details and the big picture.

I've worked with a bunch of people who know programming languages very well that are terrible developers.

Things must be different south of the border, I only know a couple people that work from home, everyone else (even consultants/contractors) are in an office. Most places here want the developers in the office for meetings, etc.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #89
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I can't complain much. I make video games for a living.
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuhlka For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (05-13-2013)
Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #90
NomoreNA

Drives: Raven FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I love my job 99% of the time. I am currently assisting in the development of the worlds most efficient natural gas turbine it's extremely challenging, but I get to use the most advanced cnc machines, CMMs, vacuum furnaces and cad cam software the industry has to offer. The only thing I dislike about my job are engineers. At one point in time I use to think being an engineer was a feat now I realize most of them have no fkn clue what they are doing or how to apply anything they learned in the workplace.
NomoreNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #91
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhlka View Post
I can't complain much. I make video games for a living.
I take it by the "can't complain much" part that you're not in QA.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #92
kuhlka

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
I take it by the "can't complain much" part that you're not in QA.
I'm a designer with a background in the basics of computer science, cognitive behavioral psychology, and digital studio art. This industry has its ups and downs, but if you're good at your job, are easy to work with, and don't sacrifice yourself to companies known for mass layoffs, it can be a rewarding career. The trick is getting your foot in the door. Unless you've got an amazing portfolio, you might as well be throwing spitballs at a brick wall. Once you've got a few AAA titles and years under your belt, though, you can go pretty much anywhere in the world.

The only major downsides are unpaid overtime if you're salary, studios are clustered up in Texas, Maryland, California, and Washington, and pay can vary wildly depending on who you work for (bonuses? royalties? nothing?).
kuhlka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #93
jamesm
Banned

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,293 Times in 1,180 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
There's A LOT more to being a good developer than knowing a programming language. You need really good problem solving skills, and an ability to see fine details and the big picture.

I've worked with a bunch of people who know programming languages very well that are terrible developers.

Things must be different south of the border, I only know a couple people that work from home, everyone else (even consultants/contractors) are in an office. Most places here want the developers in the office for meetings, etc.
i agree with everything you say. i spent about 17 hours a couple days ago fixing an amateur implementation of a publishing service. not everyone is cut out for it, and understanding syntax doesn't make you a developer. i'm just saying that it's worth it, and the job itself (at least the way i do it, remotely as a consultant) is one of the best things going right now.
jamesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #94
DownFracture

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited MT SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I didn't know what to do with myself. I'm not smart but I work hard. I hated a lot of things and didn't like many things. I liked money, cutting things, fixing things. I figured if I worked hard in school I could do something in the medical field where I could make good money, cut bones and flesh, and put them back together. Well I started as a dentist, liked it but didn't love it so now I am starting an Oral Maxillofacial surgical residency. I wanted something where I could always be in demand no matter what the world may be like. So I always point people towards the medical field, the road is long but well worth it in the end, and you will always find a job.
DownFracture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #95
bcmakesiteasy

Drives: 2013 FRS Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Invention View Post
I've had a funny experience.

Worked as a furniture assembly man during my undergrad. Decent pay for a part time job, flexible schedule, little to no stress.

Decided to focus on academia and then went into research in psychoacoustics. Terrible pay (stipend/grants), terrible hours but very, very fun.

Moved on to graduate studies [neuroscience and music] overseas and after graduating was hired on as a consultant putting together therapy programs for dementia daycare centers (late stage Alzheimer Disease). Thought I had found my dream job - music, technology, & neuroscience all day every day in every way!

Ended up leaving after a year because; I missed sunshine (worked in UK) and the pay was so-so, but mostly: it was incredibly depressing.

Moved back to California, said I'd had had enough of academia and wanted to get into retirement asap. So I became a commercial real estate appraiser. The hours are terrible but you set them yourself (I love this), the work can be stressful and isn't necessarily consistent (I don't love this but makes life a little more exciting), and the pay is good. The work is typically dry, lots of number crunching, telephone calls, emails, and more telephone calls - report writing for several days and sifting through excel sheets for eternity but there are occasional fun or at least interesting jobs. Wouldn't mind getting into litigation work and presenting cases to grand juries.

And much like a programmer; pants are optional! Except when meeting clients.. that requires pants.
Got a few questions for you!

I'm also located in SoCal, and i'm currently working Real estate industry in the REO sector as an escrow coordinator. I was wondering how I can get started in the Commercial Real Estate appraisal industry. What sort of licenses/experience do I need? After doing some research online, the pay seems great, and I do have a 4 year degree since I see that it is a minimum qualification for the job.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #96
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
im a starting dental technician. I make molds, and go out and deliver/receive the molds/impressions from dentists. You're always doing something and always busy. Sometimes it gets really stressful but i figure that's with any job.
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #97
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmakesiteasy View Post
Got a few questions for you!

I'm also located in SoCal, and i'm currently working Real estate industry in the REO sector as an escrow coordinator. I was wondering how I can get started in the Commercial Real Estate appraisal industry. What sort of licenses/experience do I need? After doing some research online, the pay seems great, and I do have a 4 year degree since I see that it is a minimum qualification for the job.
PM sent
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #98
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I'm currently working for a Vendor Management company doing payroll/billing and it seems to be ok 98% of the time. It pays the bills, not a lot of stress, and not super busy. At the same time, I'm going to school for a career in Health IT very slowly.
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote