follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #15
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_dude View Post
Toyo r1r is an awesome tire. However, if you use them as a daily driver they don't last long.

they'll last a summer... of driving and auto crossing.

15 events + daily driving from April to November, still tire left (not competitive but good enough for a lapping day or two)
wparsons (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #16
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_dude View Post
Toyo r1r is an awesome tire. However, if you use them as a daily driver they don't last long.
They'll last about equally as long as any of the current extreme summer tires will.

I got almost two full summers of daily driving, lapping and autox out of a set of Dunlop ZII's (replaced in September, would've lasted until the snows went on if I didn't want to do any more lapping). Plus, I drove for a while with too much toe, which definitely sped up wear. My car has about 96k km's on it, so figure at least 40k km's on the ZII's.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
They'll last about equally as long as any of the current extreme summer tires will.

I got almost two full summers of daily driving, lapping and autox out of a set of Dunlop ZII's (replaced in September, would've lasted until the snows went on if I didn't want to do any more lapping). Plus, I drove for a while with too much toe, which definitely sped up wear. My car has about 96k km's on it, so figure at least 40k km's on the ZII's.
Interesting, the Z2 have been high on my list but I don't really hear much about people loving them or hating them, they are a "meh" tire I always thought. Considering the 255 40 17 size is on for $150USD - closeout on tire rack they may go to the top of the list
Canehda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #18
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

what kind of circles have you been around where people consider the ZIIs a "meh" tire.

Also, why 255 in particular? Do you have the power mods to go along with that?
Old 03-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #19
fast_dude

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Op, how competitive do wannabe??? If your going autocross for fun just drive the shit out of the stock tires.
2014 Scion FRS- Kw2 suspension, Openflash headers, Openflash tablet, Invidia N1 exhaust, Invidia Overpipe, Nameless catted front pipe, TRD intake, Enkei RPF1s with Hankook RS3 tires, carbon fibre front lip, TRD knockoff spolier, SPC lower control arms.
fast_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #20
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
what kind of circles have you been around where people consider the ZIIs a "meh" tire.

@7thgear The toronto subaru club members... All I hear during meets is negatives about the Z2 then I go on the internet and see the positives so in my mind I have always weighed the pros and cons as equal, however some personal experience from toyobaru track guys would probably sway me

And for competitiveness, I really have no idea how I will fair this year and I dont plan on doing a ton of autox or track days, but I don't really want to undercut myself from the beginning by compromising on something like tires which really make a huge difference.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #21
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Quote:

also for the power mods, by spring I will be using the oft stage 2 which won't make a huge difference in itself but I am also waiting for the installation of a final drive which should add to the torque the tires will have to put down, may not require the 255 just yet but I have 17x9 wheels as a future investment which for safety would need at least a 245 size to be within manufacture recommendations for stretch? and seeing as though the 255 40 size is generally the same price as 245 40 (from reviewing prices on 1010tires.com) I figure 255 is the forum approved choice
Old 03-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #22
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehda View Post
the toronto subaru club members...

well, there's your problem

the TSC is more of a "Subaru EBAY for the GTA," if you want track talk hit up the track section on this forum, it's pretty well maintained.
Canehda (03-23-2015), drewbot (03-23-2015), fast_dude (03-23-2015), wparsons (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 02:12 PM   #23
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

geez yeah forgot i was a member in that group, i think when I get home I will make a thread in that group to kind and lead other people to it... Im in a ft86 whatsapp group that is pretty polarized in tire choice for this year and it would be good to a have a solid info source for people in southern ontario
Old 03-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #24
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
also for the power mods, by spring I will be using the oft stage 2 which won't make a huge difference in itself but I am also waiting for the installation of a final drive which should add to the torque the tires will have to put down, may not require the 255 just yet but I have 17x9 wheels as a future investment which for safety would need at least a 245 size to be within manufacture recommendations for stretch? and seeing as though the 255 40 size is generally the same price as 245 40 (from reviewing prices on 1010tires.com) I figure 255 is the forum approved choice

If you're doing things for fun, then the guidelines are somewhat irrelevant,

but if you're interested in healthy competition, then you really should be aware of the rules different series have.

for instance, in autocross, the final drive mod will push you into a group where cars are expected to have 400whp+ and run on hoosiers,

also, the wider the tire, the more drag you'll have on track, which may slow down your overall time even if your cornering speeds go up. Hence the power requirement.

In OEM trim, the car used for track really won't benefit to having anything wider than a 235, with 225 being the happy medium.

also, a stretched tire on a wide rim is perfectly fine. Generally speaking, tire width = rim width is a good rule of thumb, so a 235/245 is optimal on a 9", 255 would technically be an oversize and be happier on a 10"
Old 03-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #25
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Quote:
If you're doing things for fun, then the guidelines are somewhat irrelevant,

but if you're interested in healthy competition, then you really should be aware of the rules different series have.

for instance, in autocross, the final drive mod will push you into a group where cars are expected to have 400whp+ and run on hoosiers,

also, the wider the tire, the more drag you'll have on track, which may slow down your overall time even if your cornering speeds go up. Hence the power requirement.

In OEM trim, the car used for track really won't benefit to having anything wider than a 235, with 225 being the happy medium.
Wow I totally overlooked the final drive mod rules, in fact I was told by the ebay of Subarus group that it was the best thing I could do for autox! I always want to be competitive at some level so I take it as 235 would be an ideal choice, my only concern is that it would seem fairly stretched on my wheels but a few manufactures say 235 will work on a 9" wheel so I guess I will start calling around again!
Old 03-23-2015, 02:35 PM   #26
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Wow I totally overlooked the final drive mod rules, in fact I was told by the ebay of Subarus group that it was the best thing I could do for autox! I always want to be competitive at some level so I take it as 235 would be an ideal choice, my only concern is that it would seem fairly stretched on my wheels but a few manufactures say 235 will work on a 9" wheel so I guess I will start calling around again!

yeah, any transmission/final drive ratio changes I believe plot you into "prepared" (or maybe SM?, I'm getting this clarified). Either of which allow for a plethora of other modifications.

Keep in mind that a final drive change is one of the best mods a car enthusiast can do, it wakes the whole car up. From a sport's perspective, we don't need to cruise in 6th gear at 3k... so effectively "all" production cars are gear limited when it comes to racing use. Most would absolutely love to change their gearing... and hence probably why it's only an allowable mod in the higher classes.

(hell, if I wasn't commited to my class, the cusco final drive would have been my first mod back when they introduced it)

The class you should be looking at for good and healthy competition is STX, you're fine to run on street tires and a 17x9 rim, plus a selection of common engine mods.

you can check out this thread for a complete breakdown of your options;
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25779

In Ontario we have a very, very healthy ST* following so you'll be in good company if you can tune to that class.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #27
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Quote:
yeah, any transmission/final drive ratio changes I believe plot you into "prepared" (or maybe SM?, I'm getting this clarified). Either of which allow for a plethora of other modifications.

Keep in mind that a final drive change is one of the best mods a car enthusiast can do, it wakes the whole car up. From a sport's perspective, we don't need to cruise in 6th gear at 3k... so effectively "all" production cars are gear limited when it comes to racing use. Most would absolutely love to change their gearing... and hence probably why it's only an allowable mod in the higher classes.

The class you should be looking at for good and healthy competition is STX, you're fine to run on street tires and a 17x9 rim, plus a selection of common engine mods.

you can check out this thread for a complete breakdown of your options;
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25779

In Ontario we have a very, very healthy ST* following so you'll be in good company if you can tune to that class.
Excellent, ST is where I want to be and I've made sure all of my engine/ suspension mods are compliant with this class

thanks for the link, will be doing some more reading on this

Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #28
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
I'd stick with a 225/45 on an 8" wheel or a 245/40 on a 9" wheel. I personally have 225's and there's no lack of grip at all.