follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It looks like manufacturers are finally taking the hint that we want boost in our cars

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
Old 09-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
Me too but then they slapped the true enthusiasts in the face by saying its turbocharged. BMW did such a good job with the E60 engine that they should have just used that engine in every future M5 but of course fuel laws and such don't approve of this.

Even the E9X V8 with an 8400 rpm redline was more of an M car than the current M5.

We fell in love with M cars because they were NA, high revving, manual transmission (mostly) tracks cars for the street. I don't know what's going on at BMW these days...."JEREMY CLARKSON SAYS IT NEEDS MORE POWER! HANS! GET THE TURBOS!"
More importantly, M cars have gained so much weight recently.. Sucks because the base 3/5 series are all growing as well, which means the inevitable for the M cars...

I think the only recent example of a true M car was the 1M. Very fun to drive and track-oriented that you could also enjoy everyday. Not too heavy, and was fun to drive even with the twin turbo I6.

BMW has been selling out lately as a whole, I hope the new M3 delivers!
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
More importantly, M cars have gained so much weight recently.. Sucks because the base 3/5 series are all growing as well, which means the inevitable for the M cars...

I think the only recent example of a true M car was the 1M. Very fun to drive and track-oriented that you could also enjoy everyday. Not too heavy, and was fun to drive even with the twin turbo I6.

BMW has been selling out lately as a whole, I hope the new M3 delivers!
Every new generation of the M3 released has bested the previous generation and it's current competition around the ring. I would expect this one to be no different.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Me too but then they slapped the true enthusiasts in the face by saying its turbocharged. BMW did such a good job with the E60 engine that they should have just used that engine in every future M5 but of course fuel laws and such don't approve of this.

Even the E9X V8 with an 8400 rpm redline was more of an M car than the current M5.

We fell in love with M cars because they were NA, high revving, manual transmission (mostly) tracks cars for the street. I don't know what's going on at BMW these days...."JEREMY CLARKSON SAYS IT NEEDS MORE POWER! HANS! GET THE TURBOS!"
It is all a matter of perspective and preference. I offer the following: They're not slapping anybody in the face, they're using the best current setup they k now to make the best car they can. And it's not like they're new to turbocharging.

My only gripe is that I want more turbodiesel BMW's (with manual gearboxes) in the US market. I've been wanting this for decades.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #19
TRD_86

Drives: 2013 86 white
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
after all, .... the 86 is one heck of the best looking open engine bay
TRD_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
bimmerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Every new generation of the M3 released has bested the previous generation and it's current competition around the ring. I would expect this one to be no different.
mainly due to HP increase. Every new generation of M3 has also lost some of the driving engagement and pure precision vs the previous generation.
The Following User Says Thank You to bimmerboy For This Useful Post:
AJUSA.com (09-17-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
bestwheelbase

Quote:
mainly due to HP increase. Every new generation of M3 has also lost some of the driving engagement and pure precision vs the previous generation.
There's nothing wrong with the new stuff, but it's just not for everybody.

Count me in the "drives old ones" group.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I know! I wish it were financially feasible to start from scratch for the M cars. To make this clear, look at how Subaru has now decided to make the WRX/STI from a different platform than the impreza so they can make it lighter and more performance oriented. Obviously BMW doesn't need to do this for power reasons but it would make it a more purpose built car if they were to do something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestwheelbase View Post
It is all a matter of perspective and preference. I offer the following: They're not slapping anybody in the face, they're using the best current setup they k now to make the best car they can. And it's not like they're new to turbocharging.

My only gripe is that I want more turbodiesel BMW's (with manual gearboxes) in the US market. I've been wanting this for decades.
on the manual turbodiesels. Even the automatic ones carry a huge punch and in a car like that the manual isn't too necessary but it would add to the torquey fun.

And yes they are making the best car they can make but is that really what everyone wants? When Mazda made the NB (I think it was the NB) they wanted it to be better than the NA in certain ways but apparently they didn't want it to have more grip. After a certain point you're definitely overengineering the car for practical purposes and that makes it difficult to be able to fully enjoy because you can't ever drive it "balls to the walls".

The 1M is a remarkable little car on paper. I don't know enough to judge it beyond that but I doubt I'd be unhappy with one.

At the end of the day, for most owners an M car is just bragging rights at the pub. Fortunately, I do see a good amount of e9X M3 owners giving their cars a proper hooning in my area.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Both are true statements. As the series cars get more bloated, it's evadible the M cars will follow. It's still going to be a great car and one I would drive again in a heartbeat.

Honestly the FR-S is so appealing to me because it's a car completely in the opposite direction to where the M cars are going. What I would really like to see in a comprensive road/track test of the E30 M3 vs. FR-S/GT86. Both are about the same weight and horse power.

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
bestwheelbase (09-16-2012), bimmerboy (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #24
bimmerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Both are true statements. As the series cars get more bloated, it's evadible the M cars will follow. It's still going to be a great car and one I would drive again in a heartbeat.

Honestly the FR-S is so appealing to me because it's a car completely in the opposite direction to where the M cars are going. What I would really like to see in a comprensive road/track test of the E30 M3 vs. FR-S/GT86. Both are about the same weight and horse power.
Agreed

I have so much respect for the frs/brz because of the fact it has its very own platform. No compromises due to platform sharing which is basically unheard of in a <30k sporty car.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I actually really like the S65 engine. For a car of that caliber, the displacement/torque is "modest", and the 8400rpm redline is just insanely cool. They really didn't try to take the easy route with that one. Whenever I see one on the road take off, the sound gives me chills, it's absolutely beautiful.

If they made a 7 speed manual gearbox for it I think I would actually try to save up for one (after I get out of school of course).

Of course, this new M3 could be a giant surprise and have the rumored electric turbo system, which would give it the razor sharp transient response that an NA engine has (although less of the cool sound). Unfortunately it doesn't sound like it revs too high from the videos (unless they were intentionally holding back so people would be pleasantly surprised), which sucks.

Seeing how much special attention was paid to the S65, I feel like they could've worked out a special "3d camshaft" sort of thing for it, reduced the displacement, but keep the high rev NA. Or maybe a little bit of boost, but not this whole cut redline, super high boost crap. Screw the people who bitch about torque. There's a reason you have a transmission.

Last edited by serialk11r; 09-16-2012 at 05:22 PM.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #26
bestwheelbase

Quote:
I have so much respect for the frs/brz because of the fact it has its very own platform. No compromises due to platform sharing which is basically unheard of in a <30k sporty car.
I am confused. The AS1 platform is shared by the FRS and BRZ. Can you elaborate?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #27
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Is this going to have Valvetronic like the F10 M5? Fucking voodoo. Give me throttle bodies any day.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #28
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Is this going to have Valvetronic like the F10 M5? Fucking voodoo. Give me throttle bodies any day.
Valvetronic makes the whole turbo lag situation better though :O Well, at least in theory it can.

I'm still waiting for a company other than Ferrari to grow the balls to make an "infinite profile" intake camshaft. I'm sorta disappointed BMW isn't trying, they go through trouble to improve VANOS response (no one else gives a shit about this), integrate knock sensing into the spark plugs, use the most advanced fuel metering strategy, and put Valvetronic on even their entry level stuff. They have an M division that makes some of the most exotic engines out there, so why aren't they trying to innovate a little here? We're talking very high end cars, an extra few thousand bucks for something like this isn't asking too much.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote