follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 12-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #36989
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Are you on Rogers? They recently changed the system and we had to trade in our old modem/router because it kept having to be reset. Everybody we know that has Rogers has had the exact same issue you are. We got the new one and all has been good.
I'm with Start, who I believe piggy backs off of Rogers or Bell, depending on where you are, and what type of internet you subscribe for. I want to say I'm with Rogers, but I'd need to double check.

I have a separate modem and router, the modem has been fine throughout, just the router giving me a hassle. Maybe I'll call them in the morning and see what they recommend. Would hate for the girls to run into this issue while I'm on the road, since I can imagine them being deer in the headlights with something like this.

Edit: Speaking of boredom with video games, I got back into Doom this evening, and forgot how absolutely wonderful it is. That's another game I'll likely play through a few times.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:32 PM   #36990
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
I'm with Start, who I believe piggy backs off of Rogers or Bell, depending on where you are, and what type of internet you subscribe for. I want to say I'm with Rogers, but I'd need to double check.

I have a separate modem and router, the modem has been fine throughout, just the router giving me a hassle. Maybe I'll call them in the morning and see what they recommend. Would hate for the girls to run into this issue while I'm on the road, since I can imagine them being deer in the headlights with something like this.
Probably your issue. Not sure what they changed but has messed with a pile of people.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #36991
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Here's a question for those who know a little something about routers. I have a TPLink Archer C7 and yesterday, it just entirely shit the bed.

My question is ultimately, did I just end up picking out a really bad router? The reviews I read on it were all positive, so it seems like people are generally happy with it.
Quick google points to an incompatibility with specific wireless NICs. Crazy. I've never heard of this but it makes sense. A bug in all NICs with the qualcomm atheros qca61x4a/QCA6174 chipset does not play nicely with the router. Even open-source firmware authors are/were scrambling.

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....Killer-adapter

https://forum.lede-project.org/t/con...-released/1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarlacc View Post
U.S. pioneered the moving pictures, television and the VCR which set the whole objectification-of-women industry up for it's heyday.
Both objectification of women and puritanism were brought over from Europe.
Both have survived in Europe, and both are under pressure in Europe today.
The differences aren't that great, really.
That's why I find subtle nuances such as the significance of pictures of women in underwear so interesting.
Excellent point. I appreciate the opportunity to address flaws in my world view.

Hungarians have no issue with "personal space." We freely make eye contact with each other on buses and elevators.

My suggestion is to go with your gut. Never mind the stupid skittish woman at the gas station. It was her loss.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:42 PM   #36992
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
@Ultramaroon may be interested ........that way he can stay focused on reading his GPS .......

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA3lD8jxR2A"]for humfrz - YouTube[/ame]
Old 12-01-2017, 10:46 PM   #36993
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Quick google points to an incompatibility with specific wireless NICs. Crazy. I've never heard of this but it makes sense. A bug in all NICs with the qualcomm atheros qca61x4a/QCA6174 chipset does not play nicely with the router. Even open-source firmware authors are/were scrambling.

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....Killer-adapter

https://forum.lede-project.org/t/con...-released/1129

Second link is how I kind of pieced together my issue. All good, push comes to shove, I'll splurge a bit on a different router that doesn't run on this chipset.

Bums me out though, since this router is a decent price (120 cad, but I got it on sale for 90 taxes in yesterday) and has good performance.

Edit: I might play around with the dual band settings, and see if I can get stable performance with 2.4 and 5ghz enabled, but that sounds like a vacation kind of thing. ALSO, one thing I failed to mention, is that the wifi started getting REALLY bad after I set up a google home mini. I wonder if that was doing some of the overloading on the 5ghz band that seems to be the achilles heel of this router.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #36994
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Back when I used to support workstations at work none of our ThinkPad fleet could keep a decent connection for over 10 mins with D-Link routers of any kind. We kept telling users to switch over to Cisco/Linksys or Belkin and that would fix it lmao!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-01-2017), Ultramaroon (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #36995
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
Back when I used to support workstations at work none of our ThinkPad fleet could keep a decent connection for over 10 mins with D-Link routers of any kind. We kept telling users to switch over to Cisco/Linksys or Belkin and that would fix it lmao!
Sometime's I think about making a switch to IT, since honestly, troubleshooting this stuff is kind of fun to me. But then I think about the times I've been at my wits end and I can't even imagine trying to explain stuff and guide technologically inept people through things.

I think instead maybe I'll try and get a part time job at a Canada Computers for this winter. I saw that the Whitby branch is hiring people when I was at their Kennedy location yesterday.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #36996
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Excellent point. I appreciate the opportunity to address flaws in my world view.

Hungarians have no issue with "personal space." We freely make eye contact with each other on buses and elevators.

My suggestion is to go with your gut. Never mind the stupid skittish woman at the gas station. It was her loss.
Dude! If eye contact is an issue then going with your gut is going to get you arrested. Never lead with the gut is scares people.

Cole (12-01-2017), Sarlacc (12-02-2017), Ultramaroon (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #36997
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
Someone's I think about making a switch to IT, since honestly, troubleshooting this stuff is kind of fun to me. But then I think about the times I've been at my wits end and I can't even imagine trying to explain stuff and guide technologically inept people through things.

I think instead maybe I'll try and get a part time job at a Canada Computers for this winter. I saw that the Whitby branch is hiring people when I was at their Kennedy location yesterday.
CC peeps look pretty chill to me so it can't be too bad.

I can tell you that the only happy field techs at Big Blow (they supported all of our Lenovo hardware) were from the west coast. Everybody else across the country were really angry mofos.

IT isn't too bad until management decides to pay you peanuts or outsource you to curry land. Ask @soulreapersteve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-01-2017), soulreapersteve (02-23-2018)
Old 12-01-2017, 11:08 PM   #36998
Cole
Not a troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
CC peeps look pretty chill to me so it can't be too bad.

I can tell you that the only happy field techs at Big Blow (they supported all of our Lenovo hardware) was from the west coast. Everybody else across the country were really angry mofos.

IT isn't too bad until management decides to outsource you to India.
The more realistic option is becoming an Uber eats driver. But I really don't want to have to add commercial use to my insurance
Old 12-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #36999
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Second link is how I kind of pieced together my issue. All good, push comes to shove, I'll splurge a bit on a different router that doesn't run on this chipset.

Bums me out though, since this router is a decent price (120 cad, but I got it on sale for 90 taxes in yesterday) and has good performance.

Edit: I might play around with the dual band settings, and see if I can get stable performance with 2.4 and 5ghz enabled, but that sounds like a vacation kind of thing. ALSO, one thing I failed to mention, is that the wifi started getting REALLY bad after I set up a google home mini. I wonder if that was doing some of the overloading on the 5ghz band that seems to be the achilles heel of this router.
Meh. I wouldn't invest too much time in it. Follow the thread in the tp-link support forum to the last page. It's still active.

My old WRT54GL is a friggin' tank. Been chugging away for almost 10 years now.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:27 PM   #37000
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Every time I see that, I can envision my granddaughters saying that to me, in a few years .......

humfrz
Old 12-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #37001
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Dude! If eye contact is an issue then going with your gut is going to get you arrested. Never lead with the gut is scares people.
Yikes! That is one creepy photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

Every time I see that, I can envision my granddaughters saying that to me, in a few years .......
Awww, I doubt that.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #37002
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
My old WRT54GL is a friggin' tank. Been chugging away for almost 10 years now.
I've seen the old Cisco ones before at Value Village. Should have picked one up when I had the chance. The new Belkin ones are probably not the same.
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis