follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #57
robot
There are now 2 carseats!

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yes, you are correct, what I'm doing isn't particularly unique. I believe the (marketing mumbjumbo word -> ) value added is the OEM look and opensource aspects.

All of the things listed above could be supported if there are PID's for them for the ECU you are plugging into (it would just be a quick code change). I also have code from an old project that would allow you to add regular off the shelf sensors for things that a car doesn't have build in sensors for (like oil pressure, boost/vac, etc.).

Your link is just a picture, I'm curious, what device is that? It looks like an obduino, but has extra features.
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #58
robot

I googled...I found: http://www.techturkey.com/forum/maxi...e-monitor.html
Old 12-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #59
enjetek

Drives: 93.5 supra t & prius
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry went afk. Yes, that is the link. If you can get to that level I am sure you would have a lot of potential customers since everyone would love one unit that monitors a lot of different parameters. I ordered one from Hakan already and can let you know how easy it is to use/setup.
enjetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:36 PM   #60
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
https://www.tindie.com/products/TheR...reakout-board/

(btw tindie is the etsy of the diy electronics world)

The easy part is the stepper motor driving and stuff. The hard part is printing a whole new gauge face that makes sense and looks OEM. If it is something you want to do (and it is something I kind of want to do, but haven't gotten to yet) you might want to talk to someone who makes gauge faces. I know that the cluster can be taken apart and put back together without screwing things up. (several companies do make these: http://www.86worx.com/subaru-brz/int...uge-faces.html).

If it were me I'd go through these guys: http://www.metal-monkey.co.uk/acatal...nd_Gauges.html I had them make me cool HVAC faces for my miata. They do very precise work and have reasonable prices. I know a lot of their stuff looks kind of garish and ricey, but they can make subdued stock looking stuff. One could probably get into a business of cluster customization (lighting, needles, dials, startup sequences, digital displays embeded, other analog gauges hacked in, etc.)

So, the big question is, what would you put in that huge space on the cluster?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvidj View Post
I was thinking of replacing it with a OLED display or something similar rather than re-purposing the existing "analog" presentation. Drive it from a very robust Arduino or Raspberry that is connected to the ODBC II port.

Sort of like a Android TorquePro but with a different display.

Now to find a "surplus gauge cluster" to begin experimenting with.

Arvid
i am of the same mindset-- put at least one, or multiple lcd's in that location--very likely multiples, as i want to retain most of the warning lights in that area... i've got little use for the oem stepper motor, though i'm aware there are plenty of documented methods for driving it if i really wanted to use it for something...

and btw, surplus/wrecked gauge clusters are all over ebay-- fair market is roughly $100-150 or so.. i got one a while back to play with backlighting techniques.. again, haven't done anything with it(it's easier to play around on the computer then do actual work on all my car projects)..
Old 01-15-2015, 11:39 PM   #61
robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
and btw, surplus/wrecked gauge clusters are all over ebay-- fair market is roughly $100-150 or so.. i got one a while back to play with backlighting techniques.. again, haven't done anything with it(it's easier to play around on the computer then do actual work on all my car projects)..
Yeah, I'm of the same mind. It is much easier to goof around on the computer. Also $100 is keeping me away for some reasons.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:44 AM   #62
enjetek

Drives: 93.5 supra t & prius
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
following up as promised. wiring was easy and straightforward. will get pics uploaded once i free up some space :X
enjetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:46 AM   #63
robot

I stumbled on someone from Germany who made one: http://forum.gt86drivers.de/index.ph...d&threadID=739

The one in my car is still good after all this time. I do have some weird power issue that causes the screen to glitch from time to time. I'll eventually get around to checking it out.

Also I should make more of these....just never got around to figuring that out.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #64
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I stumbled on someone from Germany who made one: http://forum.gt86drivers.de/index.ph...d&threadID=739

The one in my car is still good after all this time. I do have some weird power issue that causes the screen to glitch from time to time. I'll eventually get around to checking it out.

If you decide to make more, sign me up. I realise you're still working out some bugs and fine tuning a couple things but I'm very impressed by your project. Such a simple way to display that kind of information is something I'd really like to add to my car. Congrats on the contest and your new addition to the family!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #65
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
also ready to buy if you ever make more
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:13 PM   #66
ir1064

Drives: 6MT, C7P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

bump!
ir1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #67
N234

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Subscribed! I was hoping someone would figure out how to display oil temperature and pressure on gauge cluster's multidisplay (odometer's location), but this works.
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #68
robot

I'm selling my car...which means I'm probably done with this incarnation of this project.

I'm selling the extra frs cluster I bought (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...06#post2532606)

and I'm thinking of selling the modified clock, but not sure yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to robot For This Useful Post:
15limited (02-03-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #69
Starkiller

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Why are you getting rid of your car?
Starkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:43 PM   #70
robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller View Post
Why are you getting rid of your car?
I miss having an sti. And I have two kids now. One of which requires me to climb into the backseat and perform gymnastics to get him in and out.

Tags
gauge, gauges, obd2