follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #449
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I've modified the tricorder to emit an inverse paraphasic field using stone knives and bear skins.
Put the new springs on the transporter platform and exchange with the old ones.
Overthinking things. Sure, you can, the bears might complain to Fleet though.

The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-23-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 AM   #450
YBLEGAL

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB, 2000 Civic Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The cam didn't. The camshaft bearing did.
Does the FA20 have replaceable cam bearings? Usually no for most aluminum heads. If not, the heads' got damage. I'm doubting it has replaceable bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
There are small screens in the oil passages as they exit the head, into the cam carrier. If there is debris caught by them, a flush won't help.
In the other thread I suggested flushing oil. Now I see your post. Guess it's like the VTEC oil screen as far as things I'm familiar with. Bummer. But that means you have RTV sealing a pressurized oil passage. From any engine designs I've ever encountered, pressurized oil passages are always sealed with a rubber or similar O-ring. For RTV to get past the oil filter would be impossible unless RTV was applied in an incorrect place or I've a lot to learn about the FA20 design still...
YBLEGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:29 AM   #451
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBLEGAL View Post
Does the FA20 have replaceable cam bearings? Usually no for most aluminum heads. If not, the heads' got damage. I'm doubting it has replaceable bearings.
No cam bearings, but the cam carrier is separate from the head and valve cover, both upper and lower halves.
Attached Images

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:51 AM   #452
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBLEGAL View Post

In the other thread I suggested flushing oil. Now I see your post. Guess it's like the VTEC oil screen as far as things I'm familiar with. Bummer. But that means you have RTV sealing a pressurized oil passage. From any engine designs I've ever encountered, pressurized oil passages are always sealed with a rubber or similar O-ring. For RTV to get past the oil filter would be impossible unless RTV was applied in an incorrect place or I've a lot to learn about the FA20 design still...

Check out MRT Performance on YouTube - they have some videos where they talk about FA-20 design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:05 AM   #453
S3pt1c

Drives: Supercharged 2015 GTS86
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmichelle View Post
Hey all - I'm going to lay this out here. I am a female. I get a lot of shit when I go to dealerships. I am often lied to by the service advisers or they omit information all together because this isn't my forte. I am a very technical person, but I don't have time to repair my own vehicle so I rely on this forum to make sure that when I go in I am as knowledgeable as I can be.

I had my recall scheduled for today (Toyota of Irving), but they wanted to charge me full price for spark plugs & serpentine belt replacement. Thanks to this forum, I was informed that those had to be removed anyway and they should only be charging me for parts. I cancelled my appointment and called another dealership. I did call the service manager at Toyota of Irving and he assured me the service adviser was incorrect in trying to charge me full fee for those replacements.

So with that said, and my appointment now scheduled for next week - should I go ahead and cancel that? This thread makes me feel like the Toyota dealerships still need some time to work out the kinks here...

Is there any reason why those with Toyotas *have* to use a Toyota dealership? Or is there the option to go to Suburu for the work? Maybe they have a method of charging back to Toyota.

I am fortunate to not be affected by this recall, though I have a good friend that is. I really feel for him considering he has no problems at the moment and he’s sh#t scared of introducing problems after having the work done. I suppose what is even worse is that afterwards every single noise or rev it of place will get his heart going a little faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S3pt1c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S3pt1c For This Useful Post:
Mike86CelicaGTS (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 05:49 AM   #454
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
It's not clogging the oil filter. There is no oil change done with the recall. The oil is drained to perform the work, then filled. The filter is not replaced.
But , doing any internal work in an engine , without replacing the oil and oil filter is a recipe for disaster!
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #455
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
But , doing any internal work in an engine , without replacing the oil and oil filter is a recipe for disaster!

The oil is changed. It’s just the filter that isn’t.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:44 AM   #456
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The oil is changed. It’s just the filter that isn’t.
Are you sure about that? You'd think that they could handle replacing a $6 part. I'll make sure that mine gets replaced, it's time anyway as the car will be around 7500 miles since the last change when it goes in for the work.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #457
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Are you sure about that? You'd think that they could handle replacing a $6 part. I'll make sure that mine gets replaced, it's time anyway as the car will be around 7500 miles since the last change when it goes in for the work.

Only the oil is listed in the recall instructions. That doesn’t mean some dealers will not replace it anyways but if they do they will have to eat the cost or forward it to the owner because Toyota isn’t covering it.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:48 AM   #458
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Only the oil is listed in the recall instructions. That doesn’t mean some dealers will not replace it anyways but if they do they will have to eat the cost or forward it to the owner because Toyota isn’t covering it.
That made me think that I should also bring in a Fumoto valve for them to put in instead of just replacing the regular drain plug.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #459
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Loop View Post
How difficult is it to get to these screens?
Very. Gotta undo all the work that was done, timing cover, chains, cam carriers. The ocv filters are sandwiched between the cam carriers and heads

RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #460
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, they changed the oil but not the filter on mine. I just changed the filter the other day about 800 miles after the recall. I cut the old one in half, stretched out the paper and inspected it for any evidence of sealant. There wasn't any. I know that doesn't guarantee I'm in the clear. But if there was sealant present, then I would've known to have a tow truck follow me everywhere I went.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
alan.chalkley (03-25-2019), humfrz (03-24-2019), Mike86CelicaGTS (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #461
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Yeah, they changed the oil but not the filter on mine. I just changed the filter the other day about 800 miles after the recall. I cut the old one in half, stretched out the paper and inspected it for any evidence of sealant. There wasn't any. I know that doesn't guarantee I'm in the clear. But if there was sealant present, then I would've known to have a tow truck follow me everywhere I went.
Good call. Generally with a recall you are getting the part replaced that needs to be replaced, and the bare minimum of work to get it done.

In this case it’s the springs. Nothing in the oil system is recalled, why would I need a new filter? Seems like they could just throw it in, but 400,000 cars x $6? for a filter is an extra $2.4 million.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #462
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Garage
Does anyone have a map of the oil passage system for the FA20?
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue