follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #29
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
If you think uhp all seasons are comparable to summer specific or winter specific tires you don't drive hard enough.
Considering that I said "on-road", where a reasonable driver would never approach (for long) what's possible on track, yes, they'll be fine for most drivers year-round enjoyment of the car in Seattle.

Having run AS UHP, MPS and track only tires on my FR-S on-road in Seattle-like conditions, I think the AS UHP's would be more than adequate for drivers who don't participate in motorsports.

Quote:
This is not accurate, from a source that you posted (tirerack) "Wet performance was yet another demonstration of a high level of ability for all four tires. While still a noticeable step behind the best Max Performance Summer tires"
Again, consider the context of the OP's needs driving in Seattle. I once drove my FR-S on a wet track day with MPSS (MPS) with temps in the '40's and they were ridiculously loose. I replaced them the next week with RE-71's that were more stable and predictable in the same conditions. I wouldn't attempt to use A/S tires on a track day, they'd probably melt, blister and grain in the first stint.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (11-13-2018), Overdrive (11-14-2018), RallySport (11-14-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #30
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
If I no longer have an alternate vehicle and I find that the rear wheel nature of the car makes even all seasons an adventure, I may get another set of rims for a seasonal swap, but I’m hoping I won’t have to cause that sounds like a pain in the butt.

Myriad
Swapping wheels is a 30 minute adventure, don't sweat it.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #31
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
Considering that I said "on-road", where a reasonable driver would never approach (for long) what's possible on track, yes, they'll be fine for most drivers year-round enjoyment of the car in Seattle.

Having run AS UHP, MPS and track only tires on my FR-S on-road in Seattle-like conditions, I think the AS UHP's would be more than adequate for drivers who don't participate in motorsports.

Again, consider the context of the OP's needs driving in Seattle. I once drove my FR-S on a wet track day with MPSS (MPS) with temps in the '40's and they were ridiculously loose. I replaced them the next week with RE-71's that were more stable and predictable in the same conditions. I wouldn't attempt to use A/S tires on a track day, they'd probably melt, blister and grain in the first stint.

Agreed.
alphasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alphasaur For This Useful Post:
Atmo (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #32
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Swapping wheels is a 30 minute adventure, don't sweat it.
If you have a garage, floor jack, jack stands, impact gun, and don't use a torque wrench perhaps. But it sucks and takes longer if you have to do it in a cold parking lot or driveway or something.

Then again, you should be rotating tires periodically so it has to be done anyway?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #33
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
In Seattle when snow comes the media states you should take public transportation.

I've seen that public transportation downtown Seattle...getting very stuck and sliding on slight hills.

When it snows stay home !
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (11-14-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #34
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
If you have a garage, floor jack, jack stands, impact gun, and don't use a torque wrench perhaps. But it sucks and takes longer if you have to do it in a cold parking lot or driveway or something.

Then again, you should be rotating tires periodically so it has to be done anyway?
If you buy from America's Tire, they'll rotate, balance or swap wheels anytime for free. They even power brush clean the studs and mating surfaces.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-14-2018), Leonardo (11-14-2018), Spuds (11-13-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 AM   #35
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
....if you have to choose only one tire type, the unicorn Ultra High Performance All-Season category comes close....
+1 Agreement/ +1 Support

UHP All-Seasons can turn a vanilla econobox into a legitimately fun car. Fair warning, though, when they're worn out and done, they are DONE. Don't expect anywhere near decent performance in anything but dry conditions at that point.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
Atmo (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #36
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post

No garage, no jack stands, no impact wrench just plain old hand tools and a halfway decent jack. I do use a torque wrench though after I snug the lugs down with a long handled 1/2" drive ratchet and I do use a cordless drill to spin the lugs off and back on quickly and easily. I still get it done in 30 minutes or less. I know, I'm special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
UHP All-Seasons can turn a vanilla econobox into a legitimately fun car. Fair warning, though, when they're worn out and done, they are DONE. Don't expect anywhere near decent performance in anything but dry conditions at that point.
You can also expect mpg to start dropping. Yeah keep those worn out tires away from anything wet!
Old 11-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #37
motrek

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
I gotta ask, why do people go on internet forums to weigh their own tolerance for risk?

It's like asking on a forum for financial advice from absolute strangers. Quick, gimme all your money, I'll know what to do with it.
Because I don't know what the risk is for these specific tires in these specific conditions.

I must have read 100 threads on "are summer tires okay in cold weather" and there's precious little information about how they perform at 35-40 degrees. Consensus is that they "start to lose grip" and are "not recommended" at 40 degrees but who the f**k knows what that means. Does grip go from 100% to 10%, or does it go from 100% to 99%? Who knows?

This thread seems to be ~30% people saying it's fine and the rest saying I should get winter tires. I'm definitely not doing that. I live in a small condo with minimal storage space, I have no good place to store tires, I have no tools, I don't have a good place to work on a car... switching out tires/wheels twice a year would be a pretty big inconvenience. I will likely buy some all-seasons in the next few days, not sure what I'll do with the Primacys at that point. I can't imagine the used market is very strong. Maybe see if I can store them at a friends' house or something for a while. Might be good for a few track days sometime in the future I suppose. Ugh. Really wishing Subaru fitted these with all-seasons to start with, like almost every other car.
motrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #38
Atmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
I will likely buy some all-seasons in the next few days, not sure what I'll do with the Primacys at that point. I can't imagine the used market is very strong.
I mentioned that my tire store gave me credit for nearly new, under 100 mile takeoff Primacys toward purchase of four new tires from them.

They offered $200 total and wouldn't budge, nowhere near what they sell them for, so asked and got certificates for lifetime road hazard free replacement with no proration. Those sell those for about $50 per tire so the deal was net $400, not bad.

I could've sold them on Priuschat.com or Craigslist but really didn't care to deal with the inconvenience of storing and waiting for a buyer to show.

Alternatively, Costco is giving $130 discount on 4 Bridgestone tires including installation through tomorrow.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:19 PM   #39
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
Because I don't know what the risk is for these specific tires in these specific conditions.

I must have read 100 threads on "are summer tires okay in cold weather" and there's precious little information about how they perform at 35-40 degrees. Consensus is that they "start to lose grip" and are "not recommended" at 40 degrees but who the f**k knows what that means. Does grip go from 100% to 10%, or does it go from 100% to 99%? Who knows?

This thread seems to be ~30% people saying it's fine and the rest saying I should get winter tires. I'm definitely not doing that. I live in a small condo with minimal storage space, I have no good place to store tires, I have no tools, I don't have a good place to work on a car... switching out tires/wheels twice a year would be a pretty big inconvenience. I will likely buy some all-seasons in the next few days, not sure what I'll do with the Primacys at that point. I can't imagine the used market is very strong. Maybe see if I can store them at a friends' house or something for a while. Might be good for a few track days sometime in the future I suppose. Ugh. Really wishing Subaru fitted these with all-seasons to start with, like almost every other car.
Sell them on a Prius forum or FB group?

At dry 40F I would say they are at 70% grip. At 30F, probably around 50%, which seems like a lot until you consider they aren't that grippy to begin with. Wet 40F is about 50%, snow is lol.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
motrek (11-14-2018), Overdrive (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #40
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
One good point people often fail to mention is that these cars are fun as hell with winter tires in the snow. Just an absolute blast.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (11-15-2018), churchx (11-14-2018), Dadhawk (11-14-2018), Leonardo (11-14-2018), navanodd (11-17-2018), Overdrive (11-15-2018), Spuds (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #41
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I drove mine daily with the Primacies through all kinds of Atlanta weather for 62,000 miles, including the aftermath of the Snowpacalypse a few years back.

With the exception of actual snow/ice on the road I had no problems with the Primacies in any weather. When I got caught at work in the snow with the wrong car, I did end up parking it, walking back to work and spending the night because it was a little too much fun.

The next day I made it home but the roads were already about 80% clear by that time although I did do one very impressive quarter-mile sideways drift down an onramp to I20. That actually was fun since there was no other traffic and I had plenty of room.

In the end, I did convert to all seasons with my next tires but I still won't drive it in snow. That's what my Suburban is for.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Overdrive (11-15-2018), Spuds (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #42
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I live in Oregon so weather is more or less the same as Seattle. For most of November, the high has been 50's and low has been mid 30's late at night. I drove as I normally would during the day (have some fun tossing whenever a corner presents itself) but I do try to be more "civilized" without being too restrained at night. It's been fine and in my 30 minute commute, there are lots of twisties and up/downhills.

I bought my car in January and it was fine back then as well but since I was new and during break-in period, I pretty much granny-drove the entire time.

Saying all that, I don't think I ever want to drive the car with the stock tires on when it is raining hard. That is when tires slip when you don't want it to. Say you have to merge onto a busy road from a stoplight where your position has your tires turned a bit.

When you feel that you have to granny-drive your car to safely get somewhere, then that's when it becomes pointless to drive this car so either garage it or get some tires at that point.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote