follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
TheseColorsDontRun
Keep calm and drive on

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Header and Exhaust Combinations

Don't beat me up, I have searched this for days.

The setup I am leaning toward going with is an UEL header (likely Borla) mated with stock over, front, mid and axle-back and stage 2 tune. I am looking for more power, the boxer rumble, no rasp but without a crazy volume increase. My question is, how much power would I be leaving on the table with the factory header-back?

I have also read about clearance issues with aftermarket over pipes. If there is significant power to be found by replacing everything before the mid, which over pipe have we had success with?

Is the stock over pipe catted? Just want to confirm what I have researched, that we have three cats - header, over, front.

Thanks all.
TheseColorsDontRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would go straight to a stage 4 tune.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SloS14 For This Useful Post:
Anthony (08-21-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseColorsDontRun View Post
Don't beat me up, I have searched this for days.

The setup I am leaning toward going with is an UEL header (likely Borla) mated with stock over, front, mid and axle-back and stage 2 tune. I am looking for more power, the boxer rumble, no rasp but without a crazy volume increase. My question is, how much power would I be leaving on the table with the factory header-back?

I have also read about clearance issues with aftermarket over pipes. If there is significant power to be found by replacing everything before the mid, which over pipe have we had success with?

Is the stock over pipe catted? Just want to confirm what I have researched, that we have three cats - header, over, front.

Thanks all.
I haven't touched my exhaust yet so take this with a grain of salt. From what I have read you are probably only missing out on 5 - 10hp at the wheels. We have 2 cats. One in the header and one in the front pipe.

On a side note do some searching on the quality of the Borla manifold verses the other available UEL brands...
Old 08-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
TheseColorsDontRun
Keep calm and drive on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
I haven't touched my exhaust yet so take this with a grain of salt. From what I have read you are probably only missing out on 5 - 10hp at the wheels. We have 2 cats. One in the header and one in the front pipe.

On a side note do some searching on the quality of the Borla manifold verses the other available UEL brands...
Thanks for that.

My research has turned up that the early Borlas were prone to leaks, QC issues, etc. I have also read that they have address all these issues with their latest run. Additionally, the shop I am talking to has promised free replacement and install if the header is in fact defective.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheseColorsDontRun For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for that.

My research has turned up that the early Borlas were prone to leaks, QC issues, etc. I have also read that they have address all these issues with their latest run. Additionally, the shop I am talking to has promised free replacement and install if the header is in fact defective.
Yes Borla headers weren't very good quality when they first came out, but the company seems to have great customer service and will definitely take care of you if something went wrong. I'd highly recommend Motiv Concepts on your list for Front Pipe and Over Pipe.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...andmidpipe.png

Above is my comparison of the stock vs aftermarket overpipe and front pipe. You will shave TONS of weight and get a little more sound as well. As far as performance goes, you will feel it have an increase in power just by replacing these two things, but it won't be so much so you'll get used to it in a couple of days.

You're not really going to miss much if you leave a few cats on. That front pipe has a HFC (high flow cat). Combined with headers and a catback, even with the HFC, it's going to be loud.

If you really want performance oriented, go for EL not UEL, but it all really depends. All of the overpipes give a little trouble to put on because of those clearance issues, but it's not so much trouble that it won't just take you an extra five or ten minutes.

Any questions?
TheseColorsDontRun (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
TheseColorsDontRun
Keep calm and drive on

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi23 View Post
Yes Borla headers weren't very good quality when they first came out, but the company seems to have great customer service and will definitely take care of you if something went wrong. I'd highly recommend Motiv Concepts on your list for Front Pipe and Over Pipe.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...andmidpipe.png

Above is my comparison of the stock vs aftermarket overpipe and front pipe. You will shave TONS of weight and get a little more sound as well. As far as performance goes, you will feel it have an increase in power just by replacing these two things, but it won't be so much so you'll get used to it in a couple of days.

You're not really going to miss much if you leave a few cats on. That front pipe has a HFC (high flow cat). Combined with headers and a catback, even with the HFC, it's going to be loud.

If you really want performance oriented, go for EL not UEL, but it all really depends. All of the overpipes give a little trouble to put on because of those clearance issues, but it's not so much trouble that it won't just take you an extra five or ten minutes.

Any questions?
Great info, thank you. I am going UEL because I want the boxer sound. I really dislike the generic 4 banger sound.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheseColorsDontRun For This Useful Post:
Charky (08-23-2013), Jrohit (08-21-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
enjoi23
12% Done with the car.

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Great info, thank you. I am going UEL because I want the boxer sound. I really dislike the generic 4 banger sound.
Anytime! Well I'm going with a EL setup so to each their own lol. But yeah hit up @JoeBoxer if you want the motiv concepts front and overpipe I was talking about. There are many people running Borla headers, so there's plenty of diversity sound-wise. You won't have trouble finding sound clip videos with pretty much every exhaust out.

If you wanted to go with a different company, do research into them. I have an MXP catback exhaust, so I felt I should go with MXP headers as well. My headers haven't come in yet, but I did research on them and they delete the stock overpipe because it's part of the headers(picture below). Since I have a motiv concepts overpipe, it's going to be useless and I'm going to have to sell it(I already have a buyer but still it's a headache.) So make sure your pieces are compatible.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
y not look into Rev Works UEL? i havent heard a single bad thing about that or anything they've EVER done
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Andy@FA20Club
Banned

Drives: FA20Club.com
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Fa20Club also offers the UEL Header and with a cat option if you would like.
Andy@FA20Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbroskee View Post
y not look into Rev Works UEL? i havent heard a single bad thing about that or anything they've EVER done
Yes you have

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...42&postcount=4

ps
Not knocking on Revworks or any other quality manufacturers, every single company that makes header for the twins has been standing behind their warranties and have helped every single customers. I have never seen anything like it thus far.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
Yes you have

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...42&postcount=4

ps
Not knocking on Revworks or any other quality manufacturers, every single company that makes header for the twins has been standing behind their warranties and have helped every single customers. I have never seen anything like it thus far.
I stand corrected lol. But I no the support is great unlike some. They def take care of their customers. They gave me a gift jus bc a part ended up on backorder
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post

You can take a look at my dyno charts with the Borla UEL in my build thread linked in my sig...WAY more than 5-10 HP gains. Look at how much TQ I gained down low. 30+ TQ where the dip USED to be.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
^^^ I think he meant the exhaust after the header....
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #14
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
So far I think fa20 or rev works have the best headers and support especially if you are doing a tune soon as lots maps out there for these that are proven. Seems every week something new is out so keep up to date is all lol m