follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 09-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #113
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The warrenty is for the CARB tune right? So in this case tuning has been done already and is conservative. If something bad goes down with the kit it is covered and if the engine goes you can still get covered under the manufacturer's warrenty, just put it to stock before towing it to them. I mean if it wasnt your installation error or kit fail then it was already an engine issue, right?
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #114
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrFrs View Post
So you mean to tell me if I installed this kit myself..and faxed/mailed you copies of all 5 of my ASE certs, you still wouldn't honor the power train warranty? My issue is I work at a HYUNDAI dealership, not Subaru. Theyd let me do it at work..but it would be undocumented. If they write up a repair order for the install I need to run a time flag from the moment I start to the moment I finish.. And then pay. So I'd have to pay for my own labor. And that most certainly isn't happening

It always sucks when lawyers get involved
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #115
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
So you mean to tell me if I installed this kit myself..and faxed/mailed you copies of all 5 of my ASE certs, you still wouldn't honor the power train warranty? My issue is I work at a HYUNDAI dealership, not Subaru. Theyd let me do it at work..but it would be undocumented. If they write up a repair order for the install I need to run a time flag from the moment I start to the moment I finish.. And then pay. So I'd have to pay for my own labor. And that most certainly isn't happening
They have their terms and conditions, much like other companies that offer powertrain warranties with their FI kits. If you want the benefits, you have to play by their rules. Documented invoices/receipts at a shop are a little better than "I'm ASCII certified, trust me that I installed it on this date in my garage and didn't pay some guy on craigslist who claims he does these all the time"

Its all about limiting liability while still offering a powertrain warranty that some people will take advantage of. The guy who does not know how to install it or have the time chooses to have a shop do it. This same guy would not be you/me who chooses to install themselves, however we will give up any powertrain warranty because it was not documented at a shop... and to be honest, anything could go during the install. Not saying you wouldn't be careful and do it correctly, but its easier to point the finger when you don't have a papertrail of a shop that you can hold responsible for bungling the install.

The fact that they are offering a warranty under specific conditions should be praised IMO.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-06-2015), jmimac351 (12-20-2015), Jonsey (07-28-2016), why? (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #116
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
Honestly if you're that concerned about the warranty you probably shouldn't be boosting your car. Modding isn't for the faint of heart or thin of wallet. Pay to have it installed and get the warranty. Problem solved.
I'd reckon that most daily driver owners like me, who consider boosting, ARE concerned about the warranty, especially because it's not cheap. sometimes that concern is enough to prevent a person who's on the fence from taking that leap and boosting their car. by offering a warranty, edelbrock has recognized the importance of providing a certain comfort level of owner confidence, and know that it may be a very crucial factor that influences that on-the-fence person to make that leap.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
SuperDave (09-08-2015), why? (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #117
BoostedWrbBrz

Drives: 2014 Wrb Brz limited 6m
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormFRS View Post
Honestly if you're that concerned about the warranty you probably shouldn't be boosting your car. Modding isn't for the faint of heart or thin of wallet. Pay to have it installed and get the warranty. Problem solved.
My warranty from Subaru is already void as I have extensive modifications to the car already. My question is about the power train warranty that edelbrock states they'll protect the vehicle with. And the main reason that many people including myself considered this kit. And something that I'm sure is already built into the price of the unit. Why should I have to pay 1000+ for someone that is ASE certified to install the kit at a "licensed" shop to be covered by their warranty when I myself am an ASE certified technician? I am the only person that touches my car. I don't trust anyone else going near my car with a wrench. It doesn't matter to me anymore anyhow. I went with the SBD kit due to the fact that th warranty edelbrock offers wouldn't cover me in my unique situation. If that warranty had covered me it would have been worth the extra 2g's

Last edited by BoostedWrbBrz; 09-06-2015 at 11:33 AM.
BoostedWrbBrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BoostedWrbBrz For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (09-30-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #118
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
I'd reckon that most daily driver owners like me, who consider boosting, ARE concerned about the warranty, especially because it's not cheap. sometimes that concern is enough to prevent a person who's on the fence from taking that leap and boosting their car. by offering a warranty, edelbrock has recognized the importance of providing a certain comfort level of owner confidence, and know that it may be a very crucial factor that influences that on-the-fence person to make that leap.
Exactly. It is a ton of money but when compared to a full na build up when including the warranty it could be worth it. Just to know they are so certain it won't break anything if the install is done right is a huge comfort.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:51 PM   #119
Rookie84

Drives: '02 GS300, '12 S80 T5, '15 BRZ 6MT
Quote:
My warranty from Subaru is already void as I have extensive modifications to the car already. My question is about the power train warranty that edelbrock states they'll protect the vehicle with. And the main reason that many people including myself considered this kit. And something that I'm sure is already built into the price of the unit. Why should I have to pay 1000+ for someone that is ASE certified to install the kit at a "licensed" shop to be covered by their warranty when I myself am an ASE certified technician? I am the only person that touches my car. I don't trust anyone else going near my car with a wrench. It doesn't matter to me anymore anyhow. I went with the SBD kit due to the fact that th warranty edelbrock offers wouldn't cover me in my unique situation. If that warranty had covered me it would have been worth the extra 2g's
I understand where you are coming from but giving warranty to you opens a door for people to cheat the requirement for ASE certified technician to install the kit.

Companies require documentation. If there is no documentation, words mean nothing. I understand your frustration but I also understand why Edelbrock cannot grant you a warranty without any documentation. They have only your words. If they give you an exception, they will have to give exceptions to many future customers claiming the same or similar things.
Rookie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #120
j123ic

Drives: Evo 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hate to beat this horse to death even more. But if you can't understand why it's so important to have it installed at a shop, it's a good thing you went with another kit. Others have already given you legitimate reasons why these restrictions are in place.

The SBD kit is certainly one of my favorite kits out there since it utilizes a Mitsubishi 20G turbo and makes great power. But the extra 2g's your complaining about is nothing compared to the $16,500 in repairs you could've saved if something went wrong. Which is far more likely to happen with turbo kits when compared to supercharger kits. Good luck.
j123ic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j123ic For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (09-06-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 01:50 AM   #121
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedWrbBrz View Post
Just a guess, but if your "warranty from Subaru is already void" because you have "extensive modifications to the car already" then maybe the Edelbrock warranty is already void too; it doesn't allow too many mods.
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irace86 For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 11:31 AM   #122
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
You are buying a supercharger / force induction setup.

Wtf cares about warranty? Seriously. Except on the parts being supplied.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (12-31-2017), Yoda (09-07-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #123
yonson

Drives: slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedWrbBrz View Post
The Edelbrock Powertrain warranty is a supplemental warranty to your factory warranty. It only covers a completely stock vehicle with the addition of the E-Force supercharger. If you have other modifications that would void the factory warranty, it would in turn void the supplemental warranty...
yonson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yonson For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-21-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #124
JohnnyP

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
Total weight of the system? Or perhaps shipping weight?
I received my kit this week and first thing I did was get weight measurements for all items individually (within reason) and find the fitting port/location to install a boost gauge. Here are the weights I got on our shipping scale:

Supercharger Unit/Housing: 60.2 Lbs
Electric Water Pump: 1.6 Lbs
Assorted Hoses & Vacuum Lines: 4.2 Lbs
Assorted Hardware, Wiring Kits, Clamps, Belt Pulley and FEAD Bracket: 4.6 Lbs
MAF Sensor Adapter, Air Filter, Coolant Reservoir: 2 Lbs
Plastic Air Box and Hoses: 3 Lbs
Heat Exchanger: 5.4 Lbs

Total Weight: 81 Lbs

I have photos of all of these weight measurements if there are any requests.

The rear of the kit has a threaded plug right above and to the left of where the coolant lines install (see photos) into the internal heat exchanger. I confirmed with Edelbrock and this port is the location they tapped into for getting their boost level measurements so this is where I'll be tapping into for my boost gauge. Despite the red sealant on the threads, the plug actually came out quite easily.
Attached Images

JohnnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyP For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (09-30-2015), BR-ZED (12-28-2016), Calum (09-30-2015), CSG Mike (09-30-2015), CxG (11-06-2015), djdnz (09-30-2015), itsibarra (09-30-2015), kch (09-30-2015), kuczynskika (09-30-2015), Lonewolf (02-09-2018), MaximeT (09-30-2015), menikmati (01-29-2016), NotSoJDM (09-30-2015), ravisraval (09-30-2015), RIP.S2000 (09-30-2015), TRD-X (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #125
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post
I received my kit this week and first thing I did was get weight measurements for all items individually (within reason) and find the fitting port/location to install a boost gauge. Here are the weights I got on our shipping scale:

81 lbs! , I knew that manifold was heavy, but sheesh, no wonder they want two people lowering that thing during install. Good to know either way.

Looking forward to your impressions (both install and driving).
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-30-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #126
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyP View Post

Supercharger Unit/Housing: 60.2 Lbs
Electric Water Pump: 1.6 Lbs
Assorted Hoses & Vacuum Lines: 4.2 Lbs
Assorted Hardware, Wiring Kits, Clamps, Belt Pulley and FEAD Bracket: 4.6 Lbs
MAF Sensor Adapter, Air Filter, Coolant Reservoir: 2 Lbs
Plastic Air Box and Hoses: 3 Lbs
Heat Exchanger: 5.4 Lbs

I have photos of all of these weight measurements if there are any requests.

The rear of the kit has a threaded plug right above and to the left of where the coolant lines install (see photos) into the internal heat exchanger. I confirmed with Edelbrock and this port is the location they tapped into for getting their boost level measurements so this is where I'll be tapping into for my boost gauge. Despite the red sealant on the threads, the plug actually came out quite easily.
Thanks for this post, very useful. Can you also measure the stock components you remove? When are you planning on doing the install?
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote