follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2019, 02:58 AM   #1
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
STI rear carbon wing

I would like to discuss the functionality of the rear wing. Given that this is a momentum car, how much is the performance improvement in high speed corners? Experience from BRZ tS owners will be really helpful. The only quote I have till now is the following:

Above 50 miles per hour, "we pick up a little more downforce in the front and a lot more in back," says Todd Hill, BRZ car line manager at Subaru of America.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Downforce = grip = higher cornering speeds. You'd have to balance it with drag on long straights, but for most tracks I'll bet the wing is worth it if it's producing good downforce.

Not sure how effective the factory TS wing is though, could be much better options out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (02-07-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:33 AM   #3
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Downforce = grip = higher cornering speeds. You'd have to balance it with drag on long straights, but for most tracks I'll bet the wing is worth it if it's producing good downforce.

Not sure how effective the factory TS wing is though, could be much better options out there.
The question is how much better? I remember a comparison back in '12, but not with the tS wing. The difference was a few tenths of the second for a single lap (*). If this the real difference, then it means that the wing is useless for street usage with only exception a bit better handling in top speed here in Germany?

(*) Here is the link in Japanese. You can use Google translator:
http://www.c-west.co.jp/labs/86_20120420.asp
Old 02-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #4
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
The question is how much better? I remember a comparison back in '12, but not with the tS wing. The difference was a few tenths of the second for a single lap (*). If this the real difference, then it means that the wing is useless for street usage with only exception a bit better handling in top speed here in Germany?

(*) Here is the link in Japanese. You can use Google translator:
http://www.c-west.co.jp/labs/86_20120420.asp

Don't even bother with a wing, if your primary purpose is for the street. (Unless you do a lot of autobahn runs and want the stability)

If you go to the track it's going to make a difference. I remember Topher mentioning in his reviews that the car felt more planted all around the track and that in return greatly increases driver confidence.

The tS was consistently pulling 2 seconds faster than his brz (back to back driving), which has a header/oft and stickier tire.

I also agree with the expense statement. I'm sure you could get a Voltex or Verus low drag wing for cheaper (both validated wing profiles).
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (02-08-2019), wparsons (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
If this the real difference, then it means that the wing is useless for street usage with only exception a bit better handling in top speed here in Germany?

That's going to be the case with any significant aero... at average street speeds it won't be effective at all, so you'll see zero benefit.

If you're buying a wing for a pure street car, your expectations should be hard parking points only.
nikitopo (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #6
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Perhaps you're better off with a functional rear diffuser. Reduce drag and increase overall/rear down force. Plus it's low key enough to run on the street without attracting too much attention.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
nikitopo

Quote:
That's going to be the case with any significant aero... at average street speeds it won't be effective at all, so you'll see zero benefit.

If you're buying a wing for a pure street car, your expectations should be hard parking points only.
It might sound strange, but the closest track here is the Hockenheimring (3 hours drive) and it is opened for the public only 4-5 days per year. In these days they'll enter 90+ cars per time which is for me really nuisance on a 4.5 km track! Even if the distribution of the cars is even on the track, it means that each car has a free space at most of 50 meters.

At least we are still lucky to not have street speed limits on the autobahn. I was thinking to use the aero for high speed driving mostly on the mountains. The speed can be quite high over there too. What do you think?
Old 02-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
I was thinking to use the aero for high speed driving mostly on the mountains. The speed can be quite high over there too. What do you think?

I think you should be consulting with the manufacturer of the wing to see what speed range the airfoil was designed for...
nikitopo (02-08-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
nikitopo

Quote:
I think you should be consulting with the manufacturer of the wing to see what speed range the airfoil was designed for...
I don't think STI will provide any information on this. I am aware that it has a screw and you can adjust the angle in two different positions. Anyway, we'll see. I am not in hurry ...
Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #10
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3URmBqZqJUc[/ame]

As mentioned by the above.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiske For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (02-10-2019), RayRay88 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #11
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
I don't think STI will provide any information on this. I am aware that it has a screw and you can adjust the angle in two different positions. Anyway, we'll see. I am not in hurry ...

I would bet quite a lot that there are better options for the same, or less, money than buying the OEM STI wing.