follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: How many 86 owners are planning on getting the Supra?
I'm definitely getting one 32 12.17%
I might get one if they offer a MT 100 38.02%
No, not me. 131 49.81%
Voters: 263. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-17-2019, 11:56 PM   #351
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I love it. Like the 90% of twin owners that track. Lol.

That will be a very small percentage.
But that doesn't mean, Tada-san cannot forget those team or ppl use them for track only. This is why been a CE isn't easy... but most ppl only see their view vs CE gotta see and understand all the view.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:01 AM   #352
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How the Supra Chief Designer Shaped Toyota’s New Sports Car

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/how...orts-car.1565/
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:10 AM   #353
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Not like you gonna use those function anyways, who cares.

Not all the owners will be daily their Supra. Some owners will buy it for race only, so prob they don’t care for warranty
I care, and alot of others it seems.

Manufacturers have had functioning vents and ducts on there sport and GT cars for years, now, not so many.

It's all about cost cutting and looks now, it doesn't matter that it's fake as long as it looks fast the general punter doesn't care, or know for that matter.

In the end they save a couple of bucks that the ducting to make it functional would have cost.

Then they make excuses about how you can make it work by replacing the fake vents with real aftermarket vents and ducting, marketing magic at its best, especially when people believe it.

If you like fake stuff then thats another issue.

Me, I call lame.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
krayzie (01-18-2019), Tcoat (01-18-2019), WolfpackS2k (01-24-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:15 AM   #354
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Lame
I would actually go the other way and say cool. I thought they were kinda lame until I heard that the covers could be removed to make them functional. They didn't have to do that, but they spent the time to account for it in the design.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:19 AM   #355
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_E_L View Post
I would actually go the other way and say cool. I thought they were kinda lame until I heard that the covers could be removed to make them functional. They didn't have to do that, but they spent the time to account for it in the design.
I stand corrected if the vents are functional.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:27 AM   #356
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Quote:
I'm super skeptical about this. I have a feeling it's going to be more than just take the covers off and its functional. Some sort of aftermarket ducting is going to need to be created/engineered to take advantage of these. Similar to Verus brake duct/fog light kits. If that's the case, then that statement is a cop out and we're back to the original fake vents comment.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:34 AM   #357
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
I care, and alot of others it seems.

Manufacturers have had functioning vents and ducts on there sport and GT cars for years, now, not so many.

It's all about cost cutting and looks now, it doesn't matter that it's fake as long as it looks fast the general punter doesn't care, or know for that matter.

In the end they save a couple of bucks that the ducting to make it functional would have cost.

Then they make excuses about how you can make it work by replacing the fake vents with real aftermarket vents and ducting, marketing magic at its best, especially when people believe it.

If you like fake stuff then thats another issue.

Me, I call lame.
I guess, you haven't read the interview

Quote:
1. The vents all over the car, are they/can they be functional?

Tada-San:
The vents on the production car are blocked off because, on the street, none of them are necessary. However, the placement of every single vent was designed with function in mind (regarding aero and cooling etc) for use in racing. When you remove them, they can be used for downforce and cooling (even the side vents apparently). Some of these things may look unnecessary, but there is purpose behind all of the details on the car.
You can find more Q&A at sister site, look for Guff's post: 2nd interview w Tada-san
Old 01-18-2019, 12:39 AM   #358
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
I'm super skeptical about this. I have a feeling it's going to be more than just take the covers off and its functional. Some sort of aftermarket ducting is going to need to be created/engineered to take advantage of these. Similar to Verus brake duct/fog light kits. If that's the case, then that statement is a cop out and we're back to the original fake vents comment.
Well I highly doubt the actual ducting is present. That would just be unnecessary materials and expense considering few people will take advantage of it. But you can look at our cars for example. If you remove the vent/fender garnish you get this:

Nothing you can do with that, the vent is therefore purely cosmetic. BUT if the Supra actually has a hole there as opposed to more metal, that means it was accounted for, and all is left is for the aftermarket to produce something it make it functional. That IMO is cool.
funwheeldrive (01-18-2019), ichitaka05 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:47 AM   #359
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
That IMO is cool.
You sir are correct. That's what Tada-san was saying.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:52 AM   #360
86MLR

Quote:
You sir are correct. That's what Tada-san was saying.
Do we have any pictures to back this up, I'm happy to be be proven wrong, with solid evidence though, not, someone said something...
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (01-24-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:10 AM   #361
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
Do we have any pictures to back this up, I'm happy to be be proven wrong, with solid evidence though, not, someone said something...
Not sure which proof you need. But for the sake of keeping it on-topic w Supra.

K, here's me interviewing Tada-san. You can read on Albon description: "Our Senior Japanese Correspondent, Ichitaka" (which is me)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF2Uev9bzb0&t=2s[/ame]

K, here's me and Tada-san again (next day) looking at new Supra and talking about new Supra.

If you're talking bout 86 fake vents. Sorry, it was casual chatting between Tada-san, Moto-san and me after dinner and it was almost 7 yrs ago. Not sure this count, but I was the one went to the Media Press for 86 (FR-S back then) which you can find: Here, here, & here. I've even interview him back then. I've done good count of translation job and never have I stated nor translated false information. Cuz I'll lose trust between me and the clients.

If those aren't not enough proof, I can't convince you.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:33 AM   #362
86MLR

Quote:
Not sure which proof you need. But for the sake of keeping it on-topic w Supra.

K, here's me interviewing Tada-san. You can read on Albon description: "Our Senior Japanese Correspondent, Ichitaka" (which is me)

K, here's me and Tada-san again (next day) looking at new Supra and talking about new Supra.

If you're talking bout 86 fake vents. Sorry, it was casual chatting between Tada-san, Moto-san and me after dinner and it was almost 7 yrs ago. Not sure this count, but I was the one went to the Media Press for 86 (FR-S back then) which you can find: Here, here, & here. I've even interview him back then. I've done good count of translation job and never have I stated nor translated false information. Cuz I'll lose trust between me and the clients.

If those aren't not enough proof, I can't convince you.
The proof is in the parts, I'm looking for parts.

Sorry but without solid evidence they are nothing but cosmetic, you talking about a Supra does not count as evidence.

I trust a car reviewer as much as I trust a politician.

Does it have snything like these >
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2019, 01:59 AM   #363
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Quote:
The proof is in the parts, I'm looking for parts.

Sorry but without solid evidence they are nothing but cosmetic, you talking about a Supra does not count as evidence.

I trust a car reviewer as much as I trust a politician.

Does it have snything like these >
I think you're missing my point and/or I'm not explaining it well.

K, I'll flat out say it right now. 99.9% behind most of those fake vents, doesn't have those parts. Why? Again, it's not necessary for daily use drivers. K now, for ppl or should I say "racing team", even they do come with those parts, they are not necessary, because they'll make themselves. Because they can make it lighter or better design parts. BUT able to have optional vent spots are different story. They need to do extra test to see where to cut in the panel to make it functional vents without losing down force &/or air flow. If engineers have already made those vents, it'll be handy because they don't need to worry bout losing the air flow and so on.

I'll admit, door's fake vent is questionable... BUT Tada-san said all the vents are make with purpose, so I'll believe it. On previous car he designed had fake vents on the fenders (if you own 86/BRZ knows what I'm talking bout). After cutting and DIY, guess what? It's fully functional vents without loosing the exterior OEM design. Is it coincident that fake fender on 86 happened to make it to be legit vents? Or was it part of their design plan? Chances are very high they designed it on purpose.

One thing I've found out after talking with Tada-san this week, Tada-san and his team doesn't make or add pointless/nonfunctional stuff on their cars. They're passionate and take pride in their work. It might be nonfunctional in one person's view doesn't mean it's not for others. They think for normal owners to all the way to racing team who gonna be driving and racing this car.

Also looks like they have some of those parts... but not behind fake vents.

Last edited by ichitaka05; 01-18-2019 at 02:21 AM.
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ichitaka05 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:26 AM   #364
86MLR

Quote:
I think you're missing my point and/or I'm not explaining it well.

K, I'll flat out say it right now. 99.9% behind most of those fake vents, doesn't have those parts. Why? Again, it's not necessary for daily use drivers. K now, for ppl or should I say "racing team", even they do come with those parts, they are not necessary, because they'll make themselves. Because they can make it lighter or better design parts. BUT able to have optional vent spots are different story. They need to do extra test to see where to cut in the panel to make it functional vents without losing down force &/or air flow. If engineers have already made those vents, it'll be handy because they don't need to worry bout losing the air flow and so on.

One thing I've found out after talking with Tada-san this week, Tada-san and his team doesn't make or add pointless/nonfunctional stuff on their cars. It might be nonfunctional in one person's view doesn't mean it's not for others. They think for normal owners to all the way to racing team who gonna be driving and racing this car.
So, the pictures of the BMW parts for the vents I posted are OK for BMW's, but not for the Toyota "pinical" sports car.

I call lame excuses and marketing.

"Tada-san and his team doesn't make or add pointless/nonfunctional stuff on their cars." None functional vents, yes or no. "It might be nonfunctional in one person's view doesn't mean it's not for others", what does that even mean, if its a non functional item that looks like a functional item, it is still a njon functional item.

I get you like and support the car, that is your job, or hobby, or what not that may or may not provide financial gain.

Me, I just want to know if the vents are functional, or at least with the option to remove blanking plates, like other BMW's.

If not, lame.
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (01-24-2019)