follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
OrlandGabeFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry FRS Dent on Roof and Hood

As I was cleaning my Hot Lava FRS today I noticed a large dent on my hood.... after scanning the rest of the car I noticed another dent on the roof. There is no paint damage and it looks almost as though a ball had bounced from the roof onto the hood.

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum is familiar with paintless dent removal and if these dents look like something that can be massaged out. The car is not even 1 month old and i'm absolutely crushed and heartbroken by the sight of them.

Would love some feedback from anyone who has had PDR done.
Attached Images

OrlandGabeFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
sirsol66

Drives: 2013 FRS- Hot Lava
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I had something similar on my hood and my PDR guy got it out for $100.

The roof...that'll be more difficult as they'll have to drop the headliner. Get a quote and consider filing an insurance claim.
sirsol66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
OrlandGabeFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsol66 View Post
I had something similar on my hood and my PDR guy got it out for $100.

The roof...that'll be more difficult as they'll have to drop the headliner. Get a quote and consider filing an insurance claim.
Good to hear that its something that can possible be removed. It is a fairly new car as I purchased it a week ago. Fortunately I had purchased an insurance/warranty package that covers dings and dents on doors and hoods. As for the roof, I felt the headliner edge and it seems rather easy to access between the headliner and underside of the roof's metal so I am praying a PDR guy can massage that out without a problem.

Thanks for the reply and input.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
You could always give those dent puller suction cups a shot. I'm sure HF sells them.

Here's one.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suction-Cup-...532#vi-content
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

+1 on the dent puller suction cup, it would probably be good on the hood but not the roof, and you should be careful as to not crack the paint. As for the roof the headliner needs to be removed and pulled, and I think your warranty should cover the issue on the roof and hood anyway. Best of luck.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
OrlandGabeFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
+1 on the dent puller suction cup, it would probably be good on the hood but not the roof, and you should be careful as to not crack the paint. As for the roof the headliner needs to be removed and pulled, and I think your warranty should cover the issue on the roof and hood anyway. Best of luck.
Looked into my purchase papers and saw that dents and dings will be covered with my insurance/warranty package that I had purchased with the car. Says that doors and hoods are covered but nothing about roof. If worst comes to worst I'll just have to pray a good PDR guy can work wonders on that dent..

If only I had the same Bruce Wayne vehicle security technology that shielded the car when my eyes aren't on it.... ::

Anyway thank you! And hope that you get your FRS/BRZ soon! (and hope that you won't ever have to go through the dilemma i'm in now)
The Following User Says Thank You to OrlandGabeFRS For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (09-01-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
racecat

Drives: Hot Lava FR-S MT
Garage
Not that it's terribly helpful, but it may be of interest that I have three mysterious but minor dents on my FR-S: two on my passenger door (vertical, one right above the other) and one on the passenger fender between the 86 badge and the edge of the hood.

No paint damage, they're very shallow, and I have no idea how they happened. The door might be explained by someone else's door, but I'm skeptical about that.

If it makes you feel any better, I noticed the first dent the night I got it after the dealership closed. :\
racecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
OrlandGabeFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecat View Post
Not that it's terribly helpful, but it may be of interest that I have three mysterious but minor dents on my FR-S: two on my passenger door (vertical, one right above the other) and one on the passenger fender between the 86 badge and the edge of the hood.

No paint damage, they're very shallow, and I have no idea how they happened. The door might be explained by someone else's door, but I'm skeptical about that.

If it makes you feel any better, I noticed the first dent the night I got it after the dealership closed. :\
Oh wow, I don't know if it's some curse of the Hot Lava FRS with mystery dents, but it's just been one after the other for me... It started with the passenger door ding 3 days after purchase, then today when I realized the hood and the roof dents (which like yours had no paint damage). It only makes sense that the door ding was from an idiot opening their door to my car, but the roof and hood is a mystery to me as it hasn't hailed, nor have parked it in any area where something could have fallen on it.

I really would hate to believe that there are some cruel people who would do these things on purpose but it's making me feel so much more cynical. I'm sure the dents could be fixed and i'm not entirely worried at that fact as I am more towards the threat of such things happening again. I noticing through some posts though that the FRS/BRZ are rather thin skinned and prone to such unfortunate events. So I guess we'll have to be even more careful...

You would think people would be a little bit more careful towards newer cars... turns out people just don't give a damn.

Did you get your dents removed by any chance and was it covered under warranty? I know I purchased an package that covered dent and ding repair so I hope these eyesores can be rid of my life after this week!

Anyway, hope your Hot-Lava FRS is doing well!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
I reckon any good PDR person can tap those dents right out....

Yep, these cars are rather thin skinned. If it makes you feel any better, I got two small dents in my car within the first week. My wife inflicted the first one by "touching" the side if the FR-S with her car door. I did the second one by "touching" the rear quarter panel, while trying to lift a rubbermaid trash can past it.

I'm waiting for the third one before I call the PDR man ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Add me to the list of mysterious dents. I found one recently on the top of the front panel right over the wheel. It was the size of a palm of a hand. Look like someone had leaned on it.

I got it our myself using one of those home dent removals. The one I have heats up glue that you then stick to the dent with a plunger , let cool, then pull out. Have been using for years.

This sheet metal is like tin foil!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
........... It was the size of a palm of a hand. Look like someone had leaned on it.......This sheet metal is like tin foil!
Oh yes, when waxing our cars ..... use a very light wax and take it off with a very light, soft cloth ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
Scalzo

Drives: Asphalt FRS <3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
btw, I garage my car and i have random dents on my roof too.. It's like it randomly dents.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #13
ApolloSki
Stealth

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had a few small dents in my roof. To get the best results, you want to remove the headliner rather than taking a chance with the glue method. The PDR guy I went with was mobile, so I met him at a interior place and let them both work on the car. Took about an hour and in the end, you can't even tell there was a dent there unless you look really really close. Costed me about $275 when everything was done. Never going to touch the tincan roof ever again.
ApolloSki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApolloSki For This Useful Post:
OrlandGabeFRS (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
OrlandGabeFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalzo View Post
btw, I garage my car and i have random dents on my roof too.. It's like it randomly dents.
As beautiful the curves the car has you guys are absolutely right. The metal/aluminum is rather fragile! I'm almost afraid a bird sh*t can put a dent on the roof under the proper dietary circumstances of the bird and flyby trajectory!

I guess it's the price to pay to enjoy the lightweight handling/nimbleness of the car. Hopefully when I get these dents pulled out I won't have to deal with another for a while... At only 300+ miles clocked in on the car I've done everything I could to park it the most secure location and absolutely baby'd the car's cosmetics, lo and behold all my effort has only brought upon everything I had feared.

Luckily I'm still covered under dent and ding warranty with my dealership for a year. After that the dents will start appearing on my wallet as well..