follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #43
midenginebias

Drives: 2001 Mr2 Spyder
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not surprised by the comments in this thread. Some of these ideas were already discussed prior to building the FR-S in the first place, but Toyota/Subaru made a wise decision initially to find if the marketing department hit the customer base. Looks like they did.

The idea for a 240hp 4cyl was already discussed then, but considering the high compression of the vehicle, the k20 and k22 motors are simply unrivaled for their performance.

I don't think Toyota/Subaru should change the engine. I do think they should offer the option. It'll be interesting to see how the engine packaging works. It shouldn't be too much of a stretch to just throw in the Subaru 265hp boxer 4 in there. I imagine the price difference between the models of different engines would be $3k, and exclusive to Subaru, and not Toyota.

Toyota will likely stick to their 86 heritage. Subaru can implement their turbo boxer imprint on their BRZ.

HIDs should definitely be an option.

The chances of a wheelbase being stretched may not be possible. Do that, and the weight automatically increases. Once again, there are other cars with more backseat room and HP. While the FR-S/BRZ often is compared to those cars; Mustang, Genesis, 370z, it has a personality of its own because it doesn't conform to higher weight and more HP. It is more in line with the Miata and Rx8, as originally thought when plans were in the making.

Later on in the product cycle, a Spec 2.0 FR-S should be available, with a more stripped version; 16" wheels, non-painted bumpers, etc. If anything, I'm surprised that the current FR-S is already pretty well stripped and does not offer an option package like the BRZ.

With the BRZ, the steering wheel with radio/bluetooth functions should be available. The BRZ, in my opinion, takes on the personality of a Grand Tourer with the Navigation system, heated seats, Alcantara, and more stable suspension setup. It only makes sense to further attach radio functions to the steering wheel.

What I'd like to see:
1. Subaru Boxer 4 265hp engine option for BRZ. It would be interesting if Subaru follows through with the idea considering it would take the Premium car to $28k territory and the Limited to $32k territory, which may eat at WRX sales.

On top of that, enthusiasts would still say, $30k is a lot of money for "just" 265hp.

2. 18" option wheels and tires. (The 17s that are square to all four corners, my fault, and done deliberate)

3. HID option for FR-S

e85 availability? Expensive project.

AWD? VERY expensive and would likely eat at WRX/STi sales, so unlikely.

Gear ratio changes for 6speed manual? Unlikely. The ratios for the automatic were already chosen for the fuel efficient in mind, and luckily works well in manual mode due to the basis of the IS-F automatic.

Keep in mind that Akio Toyota is a huge Sports Car/Racing Enthusiast. The success of sports cars will be implemented into new product lines as long as the cars sell.

These cars are selling.

It shouldn't be too far fetched to think of a new Celica or Supra if the interest keeps up. However, implementing these ideas to the FR-S/BRZ all do one thing which takes away from the philosophy of building the car in the first place. It increases the price. That's also exactly why I think the FR-S>BRZ Limited.

Owned N/A '93 Mr2, N/A '91 Mr2, '98 Corolla, Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '07 Legacy Wagon, E90 328i well maintained and lit up on fire while driving on the freeway in traffic.

Last edited by midenginebias; 08-08-2012 at 02:51 AM.
midenginebias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #44
Nafe

Drives: Mt Fuji Red 86 GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extraholes View Post
Ok, here is a list of a few things that I miss from my last car and still dont know why they are not standard.

1) Auto Headlights, Really, 10 years ago they were standard on Mercedes-benz
Car isn't a luxury car, hence the lack of such items.
Quote:
2) Some radio/phone controls on the steering wheel, i should be able to raise the volume with out taking my hands of the wheel.
This was considered, but deliberately left out to keep thes teering wheel clear and simple like a sports car should be
Quote:
3) Heated Seats for both sides.
Our top spec model in Aus, and in Japan, do get this, but again it is a luxury option that the lower models don't need as it doesn't make the car drive better
Quote:
4) A split rear seat.
This one has some merit.

No dissing you for your wants/needs, just clarifying the way I personally see it
My only real want is for the Aus low spec (GT) to get the same brakes as the high spec (GTS) :P
Nafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #45
Fly Guy

Drives: '91 MR2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
High Voltage yellow!
MiguelAE86 (08-10-2012), tnt (08-10-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #46
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by midenginebias View Post
I'm not surprised by the comments in this thread. Some of these ideas were already discussed prior to building the FR-S in the first place, but Toyota/Subaru made a wise decision initially to find if the marketing department hit the customer base. Looks like they did.

The chances of a wheelbase being stretched may not be possible. Do that, and the weight automatically increases. Once again, there are other cars with more backseat room and HP. While the FR-S/BRZ often is compared to those cars; Mustang, Genesis, 370z, it has a personality of its own because it doesn't conform to higher weight and more HP. It is more in line with the Miata and Rx8, as originally thought when plans were in the making.
I agree with your first paragraph especially. As for your second paragraph, of course it's going to be heavier and more expensive. But it's not going to be 600lbs heavier and $10k more expensive like a BMW 3 series. Because it's either that or a FWD sports version of an econobox. The Mustang and Gencoupe do not have much in the way of backseats, maybe 2-3 more inches of leg room.

I loved the idea of the RX-8 and the pricing was good, you could get one from $27k up to a $32k R series and the weight was modest(around 3000-3100lbs). The rotary just turned me off, even if the new ones are reliable and don't guzzle oil they are always going to be high maintenance and guzzle gas like a v8. Plus it's discontinued thanks to the rotary, they sound fantastic BTW.

So long as it doesn't compromise the Coupe in anyway, I'm fine with a stretched version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #47
midenginebias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
I agree with your first paragraph especially. As for your second paragraph, of course it's going to be heavier and more expensive. But it's not going to be 600lbs heavier and $10k more expensive like a BMW 3 series. Because it's either that or a FWD sports version of an econobox. The Mustang and Gencoupe do not have much in the way of backseats, maybe 2-3 more inches of leg room.

So long as it doesn't compromise the Coupe in anyway, I'm fine with a stretched version.
I think it's better off if another model is made separately for a real backseat. What often happens with product development over the generations of a particular vehicle is it gets bigger, larger, heavier, and loses sight of the original focus. That's exactly what happened to the Miata. Even the Miata gained 500lbs in 14 years. The Mr2 gained 600lbs in one generation.

Owned N/A '93 Mr2, N/A '91 Mr2, '98 Corolla, Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '07 Legacy Wagon, E90 328i well maintained and lit up on fire while driving on the freeway in traffic.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #48
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by midenginebias View Post
I think it's better off if another model is made separately for a real backseat. What often happens with product development over the generations of a particular vehicle is it gets bigger, larger, heavier, and loses sight of the original focus. That's exactly what happened to the Miata. Even the Miata gained 500lbs in 14 years. The Mr2 gained 600lbs in one generation.
I know exactly what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #49
akyp

Drives: 2012 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Would like to see an exterior design that's much closer to the FT-86 II Concept, sans that LED strip.
akyp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akyp For This Useful Post:
tnt (08-10-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #50
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
I would have gladly paid $30k for a turbo model, with leather seats.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #51
midenginebias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
I would have gladly paid $30k for a turbo model, with leather seats.
You can still do that. Just, there's an aftermarket route.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #52
TheRipler
Reap the BReeZe

Drives: 04 LandShark STi
Garage
Has anyone said turbo yet?
TheRipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #53
tnt