follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #1737
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncivilised View Post
whats the target afr for e85 that i should be aiming for?

it seems that some days its around 11.8-12 WOT, then once i saw it go from 12.5 to 12.7 then go down to 11.8-12 WOT and you look pretty close.

using stock airbox and filter, 4-1 EL catless headers and matching overpipe. stock exhaust from overpipe back

would a gasket leak after the o2 sensors cause it as i think there is a leak, i dont think its leaking before the sensors as i replaced the header to cylinder head gaskets with grimmspeed multi layer metal ones.

edit found a log that shows this

http://www.datazap.me/u/uncivilised/...zoom=2852-2958
Hi,

you really need to log "commanded AFR" as well as "AFR" actual. as its the difference you need to look at. The commanded AFR will show you the target AFR the ecu is aiming for, this changes throughout the rev range at WOT (generally open loop fuel system status = 4). You can see this if you look at the OL fuel tables in romraider for your tune, or its just easier to get the OFT to log "Commanded AFR" .

Shiv's tunes generally run a bit rich for safety, and from memory he targets 11.8-12 AFR at WOT high RPM for E85, and you look pretty close to that at higher rpm

On E85 trims and AFR will vary a bit if you have just fuel up with a different E% fuel.

Gasket leaks near 02 sensors will cause problems.

However it looks fine to me, LTFT are pretty low and AFR look ok, I'd expect it to be all over the place if you had a gasket leak.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (05-04-2014), uncivilised (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #1738
uncivilised

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ok sweet

ill be changing the gasket between the overpipe and header just in case (i think its leaking)

ill also log the commanded AFR as well
uncivilised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #1739
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@shiv@vishnu, if you get a purchase order listing window tint as a performance mod, that was me.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Boofneenee (05-04-2014), DC2R (05-01-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #1740
anewprelusion

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Low IAM

Can anyone tell me what else can cause low IAM's? My current mods are Drop in filter, OFH, OFT (stage 2 UEL), 91 Oct (California Gas). After some logging, I can never hit 1. I've reached 0.7 at times, but it's mostly lower than that. The gas couldn't be THAT bad could it? I've switch from Shell to Mobil recently, and it's the same result.

Is it possible that the OFH header install messed something up? Damaged o2 sensor, exhaust leak, something else?

Any idea how I can troubleshoot this? Thanks!
anewprelusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #1741
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewprelusion View Post
Can anyone tell me what else can cause low IAM's? My current mods are Drop in filter, OFH, OFT (stage 2 UEL), 91 Oct (California Gas). After some logging, I can never hit 1. I've reached 0.7 at times, but it's mostly lower than that. The gas couldn't be THAT bad could it? I've switch from Shell to Mobil recently, and it's the same result.

Is it possible that the OFH header install messed something up? Damaged o2 sensor, exhaust leak, something else?

91 octane will generally result in IAM less than 1, either wait for new tunes to come out as I believe they will have dedicated 91 and 93 tunes or have a read here and log and pull some timing in problem areas.

I know it says Aussie fuel but principles stays the same

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61820
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
anewprelusion (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #1742
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Could also try this (post 4899)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...39719&page=223
Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gums For This Useful Post:
anewprelusion (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #1743
anewprelusion

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Ordered some Torco Accelerator. Hopefully that will bring the IAM's up to 1 or closer. In the meantime, any other possible reasons for low IAM other than bad fuel?
anewprelusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #1744
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Ordered some Torco Accelerator. Hopefully that will bring the IAM's up to 1 or closer. In the meantime, any other possible reasons for low IAM other than bad fuel?
Its not rearly the fuel is bad . IAM les than 1 is an indicatio the tune is to aggressive for the fuel you are using. The car wws designed to run 93 octane for peak performance even stock tune will drop iam on 91 octane, quite possibly to a lower value than your seeing on the oft tune. It runs 12.5:1 compression ratio it just needs good fuel to operate as designed..

unless you have changed other components on you car or have an sensor problem fuel is most likely cause of iam droping its the ecu,s ay of protecting your motor from knock damage however it will also cause a reduction in performance
Old 05-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #1745
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Stock tune is really knock prone on 91 octane.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #1746
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
trying to understand flkc. I ONLY experience flkc when onthe highway cruising between 3.5k - 5k.

Here:

http://www.datazap.me/u/boofneenee/s...0&data=1-10-12

Is this normal behavior for a stg 2 UEL / OFH/ Filter/ Catback on 93?

• "Fine Knock Learning: This value represents minor learned corrections currently being applied by the ECU as a product of historical noise. These values are reset if the DAM value is changed; once DAM has stabilized, any learned corrections will be intermittently evaluated for sanity when certain thresholds/conditions are met. Fine Knock Learning is learned (and thus applied) for specific ranges defined by load and RPM; once a correction value has been learned into a particular range, it will be applied whenever the engine is operated within that range."

Their must be knock events that occur when i am on the highway causing fklc. I understand it as a commanded response to manipulate a cars performance in order to prevent knock, thus robbing power. In this log I noticed that it only occurs while on the highway. If knock continues to occur while on the highway fklc will continue.

Does this mean I should consider a custom tune to fix the highway driving or is this normal behavior for this car while cruising the highway.

thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #1747
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post
trying to understand flkc. I ONLY experience flkc when onthe highway cruising between 3.5k - 5k.

Here:

http://www.datazap.me/u/boofneenee/s...0&data=1-10-12

Is this normal behavior for a stg 2 UEL / OFH/ Filter/ Catback on 93?

• "Fine Knock Learning: This value represents minor learned corrections currently being applied by the ECU as a product of historical noise. These values are reset if the DAM value is changed; once DAM has stabilized, any learned corrections will be intermittently evaluated for sanity when certain thresholds/conditions are met. Fine Knock Learning is learned (and thus applied) for specific ranges defined by load and RPM; once a correction value has been learned into a particular range, it will be applied whenever the engine is operated within that range."

Their must be knock events that occur when i am on the highway causing fklc. I understand it as a commanded response to manipulate a cars performance in order to prevent knock, thus robbing power. In this log I noticed that it only occurs while on the highway. If knock continues to occur while on the highway fklc will continue.

Does this mean I should consider a custom tune to fix the highway driving or is this normal behavior for this car while cruising the highway.

thanks
Those numbers for FLCK don't look correct it should be numbers like -0.6 or -1.5 eg the degrees of timing being pulled. However where its occurring corresponds to chunks out of your KC Learned values to it look like its knock but the scaling is no good. You could derive the values from the kc learned and the timing tables for Knock correction max A.

Either the OFT guys have not got it sorted yet (mine no good on G rom) or you need to update your OFM to 1.07.1 , update your OFT and load up the latest template file.

If you look at knock correction (FBCK) your also getting that at similar rpm load ranges so its definitely knocking. You can also derive the flck from the kc learned and timing tables but is a bit of work.

I reckon if you pull about 0.3 to -0.5 degrees where your getting the "knock correction " FBCK the FLCK will also be sorted. Just have a look at the knock correction tread I started a while back.

If your getting FLCK/FBCK then you have two options run better fuel or even try different brand or pull a bit of timing in the rpm/load ranges effected.

Just get the values below about -0.7 for fbck/flck, its pretty difficult to completely eliminate in this area.
Boofneenee (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 12:35 AM   #1748
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofneenee View Post

Here is expanded view of a bit of your log

http://www.datazap.me/u/boofneenee/s...8607-8610-8562

you can see FBCK = few at -0.69 and one at -1.49

FLCK as well although scaling is out you can see when FLCK goes to 100 (which is wrong) it causes a chunk out of your KC LEARNED so it definitely logs like knock (FLCK) , looking at KC LEARNED drop it looks like it about -1 degree of FLCK as well.

If you pulled about -0.7 degrees from 2000-3200 load 0.7 to 1.0 would probably sort it.
Boofneenee (05-05-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #1749
mightyt73

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, 2007 V6 Mustang
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I am currently using the OFT ots stage 1 tune. Earlier this week my advanced multiplier dropped down to .8 and slowly made its way back up to 1. Is this normal for the off the shelf tunes?
mightyt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #1750
TruRace

Drives: FRS-Raven-MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I got my car dyno'd this weekend. I am very happy with the number, but the guy operating the dyno seemed very concerned about my afr's He was saying that my car is tuned like a gasoline car, but I am running e85. While I am pretty familiar with tuning gasoline cars, I have no knowledge whatsoever about e85. I did a little research and it seems alot of e85 tunes are much richer than mine. Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Attached Images

TruRace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat overtemp