follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2015, 08:06 AM   #15
qbzee007

Drives: 97 Audi A4 1.8 Avant '13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoPike View Post
Hoping early Feb. Insurance is still a sore point but that's what I get for being born in the 90's.
Deciding whether to trade in my '95 Corrolla.
Hahaha I know the issue of insurance. I was born in the mid to late 80's so I can understand what they must be quoting you.

My advice keep (160i and above) the rolla or sell privately. You wont get much as a trade in.

160i can make a nice daily so that every weekend you appreciate the GT86 more and more.

Worked for me until someone crashed into my one.!!

I love @Ds3ire's comment about peoples necks!
qbzee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qbzee007 For This Useful Post:
Ds3ire (01-26-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 08:26 AM   #16
momoPike

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT - Pearl White
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds3ire View Post
Enjoy the car man. The drive is amazing, but just a little hard to use as a daily driver.
That bit worries me a bit.. Comfort or suspension?
momoPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #17
momoPike

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT - Pearl White
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbzee007 View Post
Hahaha I know the issue of insurance. I was born in the mid to late 80's so I can understand what they must be quoting you.

My advice keep (160i and above) the rolla or sell privately. You wont get much as a trade in.

160i can make a nice daily so that every weekend you appreciate the GT86 more and more.

Worked for me until someone crashed into my one.!!

I love @Ds3ire's comment about peoples necks!
Eish.. Considered keeping but no space on my end or my parent's place.
Might keep it in storage but at R700 odd a month I'm thinking twice.

Really want the 86 to be my daily driver. Might be an even happier chappy coming into work or in a rush to leave :o
momoPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #18
qbzee007

Drives: 97 Audi A4 1.8 Avant '13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Really want the 86 to be my daily driver. Might be an even happier chappy coming into work or in a rush to leave :o
Then daily driver it is.
Working just fine for me.

I dont carry much so I've never had any issues.
qbzee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 10:08 AM   #19
Alang

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0 Std.
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Eish.. Considered keeping but no space on my end or my parent's place.
Might keep it in storage but at R700 odd a month I'm thinking twice.

86 is my "comfortable" car. Makes an awesome daily driver. Nice and comfy, but you can still have lots of fun.
9.7l/100km
Not an issue in two years.
The stock wheels are awesome. I have 16" and they rocked Kyalami in pouring rain! You just gotta know your limits.
Also, my 2c worth. Don't listen to the guys who'll tell you that you'll lap half a second faster with better Tyres etc etc. you're buying the car for road use. Get your driving to the limit of the Tyres and then only then get better Tyres so you can learn the limit on those.
You actually have to work to break traction on stock, but you can do it which is 90% of the appeal of the car.
Do eeeeeeet!
FT_86_SM_GP (01-17-2015), JouMaSeHoes (01-19-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #20
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Enjoy the car man. The drive is amazing, but just a little hard to use as a daily driver.
Why? I've been using mine as a daily driver for over 2 years now.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #21
Kev01

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav View Post
Why? I've been using mine as a daily driver for over 2 years now.
Same here .... Brilliant everyday car.

You getting high or std spec?
High spec better value.
Kev01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #22
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alang View Post
86 is my "comfortable" car. Makes an awesome daily driver. Nice and comfy, but you can still have lots of fun.
9.7l/100km
Not an issue in two years.
The stock wheels are awesome. I have 16" and they rocked Kyalami in pouring rain! You just gotta know your limits.
Also, my 2c worth. Don't listen to the guys who'll tell you that you'll lap half a second faster with better Tyres etc etc. you're buying the car for road use. Get your driving to the limit of the Tyres and then only then get better Tyres so you can learn the limit on those.
You actually have to work to break traction on stock, but you can do it which is 90% of the appeal of the car.
Do eeeeeeet!
Yep, us wrinklies find the 86 to also be a very "comfortable" car. We did about 7000 kms last year touring the Cape, and it was great. If you do a bit of planning, you can pack plenty too.

We have a Subaru Forester and a Subaru Impreza, but next week we're going tracking, fishing, geocaching and whatever in KZN in the... 86 - go figure. It's our car of choice for almost anything.

Tyres - sure, you'll go faster with better tyres and wheels. My experience is stock -> UHP gives about 3 secs/lap (4%). UHP -> racing semis gives another 2 secs a lap (another 3%). So what. You go faster and take more risk, but it's not necessarily more exciting. If you aren't racing competitively, ultimate speed is irrelevant. Your fun-meter is what counts, and that works great with stockies.

Especially when you're learning your car, stock tyres give you a discovery experience with much less risk. In my case, my missus gives me a fat ear if a tyre chirps, so I upgraded to tyres that never chirp - so I can get away with murder.

PS: Stop worrying, it's a great car. JUST DO IT!!
Old 01-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #23
Vic_RSA
The voice of reason...

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 6MT Standard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
If you're not used to turbo power, and have a lesser/older car the 86 will sate your performance needs. I have 52000km on the stock 16" Yoko's and they grip very well - some say more so than the high spec 17's, be careful in the wet as @Alang said (I was also there but with less tread!) as the electrics can't alter physics . My car has no problems with humps and bumps. The taillight thing happened to me and was swopped out under warranty without too many questions - just a cellphone photo is enough - my mirrors were also floppy and were also changed along with a vibrating gearlever. I'm averaging about 9 - 9.5l /100km under town and enthusiastic driving - open road driving can yield under 7 if you concentrate.

As @Fish Eagle says - just do it!

Buy it, care for it, enjoy it, learn to live with it, don't fiddle with it, love it. One of the finest handling cars I have ever driven and still love it.
Vic_RSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vic_RSA For This Useful Post:
LauraDUP (01-19-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #24
FT_86_SM_GP

Drives: Lawn moweR
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all,

Pretty excited at the prospect of finally getting a FT86 but I have a couple questions before I shoot from the hip.

1. What kind of petrol usage are you getting?
2. Any issues so far with the car? Heard some mention of the seals on the brake lights not being done properly and rattles in the cabin when going at speed.
3. Should I change the tyres as soon as I get the car to something more grippy.
4. Are humps an issue? Have a couple in my area and don't want to be damaging the car.

Any other notes and items of mention you have would be appreciated.
1. Relatively good on fuel consumption for a performance vehicle.
Its a small tank..probably 45Litres...I remember getting 1 tank a week...whether I drove to Sandton(Traffic) or JHB *** From Sunninghill.

"World's first horizontally opposed engine with D-4S

The GT 86's engine is the result of a joint Toyota and Subaru development programme that brings together their technical know-how and mutual passion for sports cars.

Toyota has added its D-4S injection technology to Subaru's new, horizontally opposed, naturally aspirated 1,998cc four-cylinder boxer engine. This system features separate twin injectors for both direct and port injection, and a high 12.5:1 compression ratio, increasing power and torque across a wide range of engine speeds without sacrificing fuel efficiency and environmental performance."

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk2d3gysC0Y&list=PLxtwVWE842raRZv0CgJlA-kxofNiwr_zX&index=11"]Toyota GT86 Engine - YouTube[/ame]

2. Got 99 ISSUES, and a GT86 aint 1 WHAT!

3. Grip? What is that ?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLA7qx159oE&index=4&list=PLxtwVWE842raRZv0 CgJlA-kxofNiwr_zX"]Scion FRS Smoking Tires and Drifting - YouTube[/ame]

4. Hahaha brilliant:

Quote:
4 steps to owning a Toyota 86:

4. Not really. Humping is an issue coz the car interior isnt big enough

Hope these video's help:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh12cqyX_ME&list=PLxtwVWE842raRZv0CgJlA-kxofNiwr_zX&index=1"]Tuerck'd Oregon Trail: Ryan Tuerck Drifts The Ultimate Dream Road - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUqVTHV14Lg&index=17&list=PLxtwVWE842raRZv 0CgJlA-kxofNiwr_zX"]Tuerck Shreds Burke Mountain – The Ultimate FRS Drift Road! - YouTube[/ame]
FT_86_SM_GP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FT_86_SM_GP For This Useful Post:
Alang (01-18-2015), Lokenzi (01-17-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #25
Vic_RSA
The voice of reason...

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 6MT Standard
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
50l to be exact.

I got about 450 km on about 40l and that's misbehaving, traffic and more misbehaving!

This was the video that clinched it for me!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8mF9vRsv7s"]Toyota 86 V/S BMW 120i, Mazda Roadster, VW Scirocco [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube[/ame]
Vic_RSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vic_RSA For This Useful Post:
Alang (01-18-2015), Dammod (01-18-2015), qbzee007 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #26
BentAnat

Drives: 2013 86 STD SPW
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
Even better advice: don't try in the streets, don't try on a track - rather learn your car's handling on a skidpan.
^^ Truth!
BentAnat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BentAnat For This Useful Post:
Fish Eagle (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 05:12 AM   #27
Cheddaa

Drives: 86 High SWP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Had mine since Dec13 using as daily driver: some ppl will struggle to climb in and out - I find using your hands to push down at the bottom sill for support helps to get in/out. The boot just just manages for a full size 70cm luggage put longways (height and length) without putting down the back seats. Car is much lower and visibility down along with it- almost every car is now SUV size to you , you can't see through their windows or over their bonnets - just relax and don't rush
1. 8.5lt/100km on spirited highway driving, else 9.5lt day to day combined traffic
2. Rattles in dash just above instrument panels, squeaks a little at the rear
3. Still on the original tyres - 2nd what other members said get use to the car with std tyres and play on the skidpan - came from fwd toyota/honda cars and the first week in the 86 was eerie as the handling characteristics were foreign to me
4.You become much more aware of the road surface for any dips and imperfections. The std suspension is nicely firm without being teeth jarring - as long as you don't put the 2.4 bar pressure in the tires like the sticker in the door tells you to - the metal stud speedbumps are the worst! Also beware that the front bumper is actually longer than you think and will seldom clear over the curb.
This car is not for the lazy driver for daily use , but is very rewarding and easy to drive as you get use to it - it really does go where you want it to with very little effort.
Cheddaa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheddaa For This Useful Post:
LauraDUP (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 07:50 AM   #28
LauraDUP

Drives: Toyota 86 High MT Lightning Red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
tyre pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddaa View Post
as long as you don't put the 2.4 bar pressure in the tires like the sticker in the door tells you to
At what pressure do you all prefer the tyres?
LauraDUP is offline   Reply With Quote