follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #15
geezerbrzeezer
Geezer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It doesn't make sense that there is no db threshold for that type of ticket. Non OEM exhaust on an 86 that's louder than stock could still be quieter than the stock exhaust of many muscle or exotic cars.
geezerbrzeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #16
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
It doesn't make sense that there is no db threshold for that type of ticket. Non OEM exhaust on an 86 that's louder than stock could still be quieter than the stock exhaust of many muscle or exotic cars.
That's the problem, if there is a db limit then even some stock cars could be in violation. To the lawmakers, it's easier to just say "anything other than stock exhaust is illegal."

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Read the title and the only thing I wanted to ask "Did you feel the heat?"
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #18
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Don't know VA laws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepK View Post
Hey guys,
Thought I would share your story and get a little input from you guys.
I was driving down Little River Turnpike in Annandale going the speed limit (maybe 5 over) and I got the dreaded flashing blue lights. I pull into an empty parking lot and the officer pulls up behind me. I roll down my windows and say good evening as politely as you can while being pulled over, and he tells me that I am being pulled over for my exhaust not being stock.

I am running the MXP Comp RS, which in my opinion is not that loud compared to the N1 or other brands out there. Long story short I get off with a warning and he tells me that he recommends reverting to stock in order to avoid this hassle.

I was wondering if you guys had any experience getting pulled over for an exhaust and IF you did get a ticket, do you have to pay it or is there a way to defend yourself?
I did a quick google search, and got a mixed bag of answers, so I am turning to you guys for support.

Ps.
Was planning on getting some UEL headers, but now I feel a bit cautious as I know it will make a lot more noise.
Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

I got a ticket for too loud exhaust in CA, I had to go to a CARB station and have it read with a DB meter.

Cops can still issue a ticket though, it sucks. I just carry around my certification letter so if I get pulled over for it again, I can just show the cop the letter showing that my exhaust is perfectly legal.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:31 PM   #19
StRacngtC06

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerbrzeezer View Post
I have a similar experience from WA state troopers. WA and VA have same exhaust noise laws. Troopers state that if a completely stock version of your model car is idling next to your suspect car, and your car is louder, you are in violation of the law. They also take photographic evidence of suspect car for court file evidence. I had a trooper stalk me and follow me to give me tickets for exhaust. I was idling at stoplight with him next to me and when the light turned green, he turned his blue and reds on. no fix-it tickets for this violation, and trying to convince them of factory TRD add-ons is complicated and troublesome.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #20
BRZyJ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2015 Q50S
Garage
Wow...surprised to see so many places worse than California. "Louder than stock" is way to arbitrary and subjective...lame.

Here the legal limit is 95db between 3,000 and 5,000 RPM measured at 20 inches. I keep a db meter in my glovebox but I imagine if I ever got pulled over and pulled it out that'd just be asking for more trouble as the cop is liable to think I'm being a wiseass, lol.

But the guy down the street who rides his eardrum-exploding Harley practically in the gutter to set off the alarm on every parked car he can is perfectly legal
BRZyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #21
dostoyevsky

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Measurements are not required by most jurisdictions in North America. In Ontario there isn't even a requirement to be under any certain dB level. The law just states no louder than stock (in a round about legalese way). Makes it pretty hard to fight a ticket when it is up to the officers subjective opinion if it is "too loud" or not.
Can relate, I got pulled over on stock exhaust for revving without breaking the limit. /canadacopz
dostoyevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:35 PM   #22
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
My son got a ticket for "DISPLAY OF POWER" in Lake Geneva Wi. driving a stock 73 jeep CJ (straight 6), he took his foot off the gas at a yellow light and the engine made a burbling sound. The cop was on a bicycle. This is like racing and required going to the court and was expensive.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #23
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZyJ View Post
Wow...surprised to see so many places worse than California. "Louder than stock" is way to arbitrary and subjective...lame.

Here the legal limit is 95db between 3,000 and 5,000 RPM measured at 20 inches. I keep a db meter in my glovebox but I imagine if I ever got pulled over and pulled it out that'd just be asking for more trouble as the cop is liable to think I'm being a wiseass, lol.

But the guy down the street who rides his eardrum-exploding Harley practically in the gutter to set off the alarm on every parked car he can is perfectly legal
Do you have a link to that law? Never saw one at 20" before. Most are 10 feet. Who the hell has their ears 20" from your tailpipe?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #24
BRZyJ

Garage
Quote:
Do you have a link to that law? Never saw one at 20" before. Most are 10 feet. Who the hell has their ears 20" from your tailpipe?
Yeah I thought that was weird too. Now, I swear about a month ago I read that on dmv.ca.gov...I looked it up because I'd just had a Works axle back installed, of course now I can't find it there. The site now says "when tested under specified conditions", the standard of which is supposedly the Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169. BUT! SAE says NO! J1169 is deprecated and we like (you guessed it), J1492!

So, assuming J1492 is the current standard and the states website is just out of date, here's J1492 (you want page 4, section 6.3):

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/...-45-inf01e.pdf

LOL.
I actually just read the whole document and I really wish I hadn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZyJ For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #25
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZyJ View Post
Yeah I thought that was weird too. Now, I swear about a month ago I read that on dmv.ca.gov...I looked it up because I'd just had a Works axle back installed, of course now I can't find it there. The site now says "when tested under specified conditions", the standard of which is supposedly the Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169. BUT! SAE says NO! J1169 is deprecated and we like (you guessed it), J1492!

So, assuming J1492 is the current standard and the states website is just out of date, here's J1492 (you want page 4, section 6.3):

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/...-45-inf01e.pdf

LOL.
I actually just read the whole document and I really wish I hadn't.
Yep that is the standard I have linked several times and it is the most up to date. So, for Cali (and any other place that references the standard), measure 10 feet back and 6 feet up.
This is the same Cali law that was in place two years ago when we all went through this before so I doubt it ever said 20"s. That close just didn't make any sense at all.

OH... And this is the sort of stuff I have to read (and sometimes actually write) every single day.
BRZyJ (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #26
BRZyJ

Garage
Quote:
OH... And this is the sort of stuff I have to read (and sometimes actually write) every single day.

Thats gotta be some tedious proof-reading.

I think I must have read that as 0.5m (~19"?), and I have no idea what 0,5 is (and a bunch of other people too since 20" is mentioned on numerous car forums, probably where I saw it originally).

I measured 103.1db at 20"...maybe I'll be under 95 at 10', lol.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #27
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
My son got a ticket for "DISPLAY OF POWER" in Lake Geneva Wi. driving a stock 73 jeep CJ (straight 6), he took his foot off the gas at a yellow light and the engine made a burbling sound. The cop was on a bicycle. This is like racing and required going to the court and was expensive.
"Display of power" is a real ticket?!?

Hmmm, so does a 500hp+ factory built Muscle car get a ticket too?
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #28
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
There's a lot of bullshit on here so I'm weighing in since I live in Virginia.

There is no dB limit in VA. The law specifically states if the exhaust is modified and makes the vehicle louder than stock, it is illegal. Because there is no set number, this means it is essentially up to the officer's opinion. So an exhaust with a deeper note that isn't actually any louder could still catch a ticket if the officer thinks it should, and you can't do shit about it.

You can whine and bitch and say it's a secondary violation and only a **** would pull you for it but the fact is some people are ****s and so are some cops. The only time I have ever personally heard of someone getting off once being given an exhaust ticket in VA was a friend who had a Mazda speed exhaust on his miata. Since it is "factory aftermarket", he had a dealership inspect his exhaust and write him a letter saying it was factory and in working order. He brought it to court and they ruled in his favor. He claims they made the cop pay his ticket. That would not fly in VA for any other exhaust, and it won't on our cars for anything other than TRD.

Last edited by Yardjass; 05-17-2017 at 06:33 AM.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote