follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2023, 02:40 AM   #1
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2nd Gen OEM Oil Cooler On 1st Gen

Because of my particular use case (usually very short drives day-to-day, with the occasional brief canyon run and a few track days planned each year), I'm looking at installing the 2nd gen OEM oil cooler on my 2020 BRZ.

This is both to help with quicker oil warm-up day-to-day, and as just a little bit of extra insurance for oil temps for my very occasional harder use. For the latter, I know that it won't make a huge difference in peak oil temps, but I'm also not really convinced that's necessary anyway from the discussion in this thread. Basically - I'm comfortable that this is sufficient for my purposes.

I've picked the 2nd gen cooler over the Forester XT cooler because of the better inlet / outlet locations for the cooler itself, and I want the cleanest possible install. I know some have used the throttle-body connection route with this cooler like others used with the Forester XT cooler like in this YouTube video:

...and I know it's a really simple way to connect it, but I don't love the (admittedly minor) potential for the hoses getting rubbed by the block or belt along the way.

I'm wondering if using the 2nd gen water pipe and hoses listed alongside the oil cooler at this page would work on the 1st gen for a 100% OEM solution?

I haven't seen under the hood of a 2nd gen to get a closer look at the setup, and the diagrams online are either really unclear and have drawings that don't match up to pictures I've seen of some of the actual parts (Toyota) or totally non-existent (Subaru - no link because there are no pictures!). It appears there are four hoses and one water pipe used to connect it to the cooling system.

I watched some videos of installations of aftermarket oil coolers on 2nd gens where they remove the OEM cooler, and it looks like the two hoses from the cooler go straight down to what I presume is the water pipe in the parts list, which you can briefly see referred to as the "coolant hose bracket" around the 1:43 mark of this video:

...but then have no idea where it goes from there.

I'm guessing the water pipe is just a transition to keep the flexible hose out of danger from heat or other moving parts, and then the other two hoses from the parts list connect somewhere else downstream, but where? Are there coolant ports on the FA24 for this that aren't on the FA20? I'm going to see if I can get a look under the hood at a 2nd gen at a local dealer to see what I can see, but I'm not hopeful that I'll be able to see any further than is shown in the video linked above without being able to get under the car with the splash shields removed.

If anyone has any clearer answers on whether the 2nd gen parts can be fitted to the 1st gen, where the coolant hoses ultimately connect after the water pipe, and if there are additional parts required, I'd appreciate it!
Old 11-24-2023, 04:55 AM   #2
makinen

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Please refer my post at https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...4&postcount=11.

And 2nd gen. has dedicated inlet and outlet for its oil cooler.
Name:  1643445850889.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  207.3 KB

The outlet of the oil cooler could be Tee'd to the water pump inlet hose. But the inlet of the oil cooler should be routed somewhere. In my installation I routed from the electric water pump outlet.

Name:  20220519_224536.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  412.4 KB
Name:  20220519_224101.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  418.3 KB
makinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to makinen For This Useful Post:
T-Steve (12-04-2023), Tatsu333 (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 09:36 AM   #3
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I bought 2nd gen cooler but I use the throttle body method for coolant hoses. Best bet is to buy the forester combo for hassle free/one buy
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
Tatsu333 (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 10:24 AM   #4
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinen View Post
Please refer my post at https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...4&postcount=11.

And 2nd gen. has dedicated inlet and outlet for its oil cooler.
Attachment 223185
That's great - exactly the information I needed, thanks so much! Given that info, I think I'll most likely end up just going with the throttle body method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
I bought 2nd gen cooler but I use the throttle body method for coolant hoses. Best bet is to buy the forester combo for hassle free/one buy
Even if I use the throttle body method, I think it's still better to use the 2nd gen cooler because both hose connections on the cooler are on the side nearest the throttle body instead of having to route a hose 180 degrees around the cooler.