follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 02-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #1261
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has this been tested with everything stock (mid pipe and exhaust/mufflers)? I ask because of there are some solid performance gains, I'm very interested. I'm however not interested in having a loud car (hence the stock mufflers). Perhaps I might go with a Borla cat back down the road.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #1262
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Doubt it'll be an option, because of:

"In partnership with Element Tuning and Hydra EMS will be offering the Toyota FRS/Subaru BRZ PNP Nemesis 2.7 unit for an extremely low introductory price of $1899, a savings of more than $500! Starting April 1st, 2013, pricing on this model will retail for $2400."

Not many people are going to spend that kind of cash on engine management for these cars. I understand there's benefits for R&D, but most people who get this header and a tune are going with ECUtek, so it doesn't make sense to tell your customers "You'll need to drop an extra $2,400 if you want this part to work properly."

Like OrbitalEllipses said though, there might be something to learn comparing methods between the two.
I don't think he was suggesting that everyone buys a hydra, but companies that are developing new parts probably have the budget to get one and use to it to design their parts. A part that makes more power on a hydra without the crazy torque dip logic confusing things will make more power on an ecutek tune as well.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spaceywilly For This Useful Post:
Dimman (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #1263
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
I don't think he was suggesting that everyone buys a hydra, but companies that are developing new parts probably have the budget to get one and use to it to design their parts. A part that makes more power on a hydra without the crazy torque dip logic confusing things will make more power on an ecutek tune as well.
Yup. The issue with Ecutek seems be that they haven't sorted everything out yet in terms of all the OEM maps.

While they are continuously updating for customers, it seems to be a source of headaches for parts development.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #1264
Fenrir

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Yup. The issue with Ecutek seems be that they haven't sorted everything out yet in terms of all the OEM maps.

While they are continuously updating for customers, it seems to be a source of headaches for parts development.
That's kinda the point though, isn't it? You develop a part that works with a tuning solution that very few people are going to be actually using and you've wasted a lot of time. Unless I'm completely mistaken, we've already determined that the dip issue was not hardware related, it's ECU related, yes? So wouldn't it make sense to tune out the issues with the solution that will actually be used in production? My understanding of this process could be very flawed, but that's the way I see it right now.
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #1265
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
That's kinda the point though, isn't it? You develop a part that works with a tuning solution that very few people are going to be actually using and you've wasted a lot of time. Unless I'm completely mistaken, we've already determined that the dip issue was not hardware related, it's ECU related, yes? So wouldn't it make sense to tune out the issues with the solution that will actually be used in production? My understanding of this process could be very flawed, but that's the way I see it right now.
The current Ecutek system is messing around with the tuning, it seems. I'm pretty sure they admitted that they are still identifying new maps. As they find out more about the ECU they send out patches.

But if a company wants to produce the best parts, they need a stable tuning platform. If Nameless can't rely on the tune to be stable it draws out development. If their tune is stable they can make the best parts possible and wait for Ecutek to stabilize and customers get the updates. If they design to Ecutek's variability, the part may not be as good as it could be and there would be room for improvement still, even after their development time.

Make sense?

Because titanium.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #1266
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
No. Some of the dip has been removed from tuning but it's a harmonics issue with the intake and/or exhaust.

The 'dip' that nameless is seeing with their header looks to be a completely different issue to me. Yes, it's happening at a similar part of the rpm range, but the breadth of the dip is completely different and much too narrow to be a caused by static runner length harmonics.

If you think in terms of filter Q; the first order harmonics aren't going to create a filter with a high enough Q to cause this narrow of a band stop filter AND this much an amplitude change. It could be 2nd, 3rd or even 4th order harmonics, and those might be able to create a high enough filter Q, but the amplitude change wouldn't be this large.
Are we talking about the 'regression' in the new mini-dip, or just the mini-dip in general?

Because titanium.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #1267
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Are we talking about the 'regression' in the new mini-dip, or just the mini-dip in general?
Doh!

I started talking about one thing then went into something else. I blame monday as nothing is ever my fault.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #1268
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Doh!

I started talking about one thing then went into something else. I blame monday as nothing is ever my fault.
I still sort of agree, because the regression is weird and just 'looks' like a wave return change. But the ECU is obviously screwing with it.

To deal with just the mini, left-over dip, there are probably some more things they can try. They could try from the intake side, too as you mentioned.

Because titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Calum (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #1269
Calum
That Guy

@johnbradley, or @Jason@Nameless

What fuel you were running for these tests?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #1270
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
I still sort of agree, because the regression is weird and just 'looks' like a wave return change. But the ECU is obviously screwing with it.

To deal with just the mini, left-over dip, there are probably some more things they can try. They could try from the intake side, too as you mentioned.
Honestly, I think the stock exhaust looks pretty decent. I'm amazed (and giddy) that they're getting this much gain from the exhaust system.

It's my guess that another half liter of intake plenum alone would allow power to keep climbing steadily to redline. With optimized runner length & cross section and plenum size I think they'll see gains like this on top of those from the exhaust.

Anyway I'm just waiting to see if nameless can match the results of the vortech SC without boost.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #1271
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Nameless intake manifold you say?

Nameless ITBs says I!
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Sco2355 (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #1272
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:

But the high-low 'reverse' is strange. ..
@johnbradley mentioned that he did not have the IAM set to 1 (ignition advance multiplier) so the area it picks up power is because it picks up ignition advance on the 2nd run.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #1273
johnbradley

Drives: Turbocharged
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
The direct injection runs all the time but the port injection cuts out from about 3,000rpm to 5,000rpm

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...84&postcount=1

Could it be that with the high torque and fuel demand, the direct injection alone at that rpm range, is close to it's limits and the ECU is bringing it back to safer levels?
Or at WOT on the factory settings according to the logs.
johnbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #1274
johnbradley

Drives: Turbocharged
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons View Post
Was this in 5th gear?

Simmons
It makes less in 5th than 4th because of the 20 second pull but yes it was 5th. Nameless and myself agreed that since it was believed it HAD to be 5th we wouldnt release data that wasnt. I did a 4th gear pull as well but it hasnt been posted.

Quote:
Do you have this graph with AFRs?

Is there a corresponding slight richening in the 'regression' area?
I have literally been every direction with AFR and while it likes leaner it doesnt matter once its above a 12.3 or so.
johnbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnbradley For This Useful Post:
Dimman (02-18-2013)

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag