follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #43
Axel

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[u2b]UebLu0-wg54[/u2b]

Transcript of video:

Sutcliffe
Now, although not everything is going quite according to plan at the moment at the world's largest car maker, there are still one or two things to be cheerful about at Toyota and this is certainly one of them.

Welcome to the FT-86 Concept. Otherwise known as the Toyobaru, mainly because it is the result of a joint project between Toyota and Subaru. This is a traditional front engine rear wheel drive coupe that is set to go on sale in 2012 for less than twenty thousand pounds. And if it drives even half as good as it looks... well, I reckon we're all in for a right treat.

So we're here with Jaromir Cech... is that correct?

Cech
yes

Sutcliffe
...one of the designers of the FT-86. Um, just tell me a bit about the car. How long have you been involved with it and how long has this project been in your mind.

Cech
Se we started in 2008 in mid year and basically finished by 2009 in October for the... well August... for Tokyo Motor Show in October.

Basically as a designers we always try to make it exciting... but I think just the basic brief was so exciting I can... you would have it make it really bad to go wrong, you know.

The we had before we actually see the package or anything we heard of rumors from TMC or from Japan they testing the chassis on Norschleife it goes like a go cart.

Actually the whole design, the concept for the car was functional beauty. And that says we NEED to respect the function of the sports car essentials... and, ah, give it the beauty, the something that makes you think "ah this is what I want."

The production should start 2012.

Sutcliffe
so maybe...

Cech
maybe even before

Sutcliffe
This, as it says, is a concept. What can you see changing? What can you see being lost on a production car that is on this?

Cech
I think the bonnet will have to go up, not because of the unfeasible engineering things... I think that's... you can put in poduction like that.

Sutcliffe
It's for pedestrian..

Cech
Pedestrian pact, yeah. I mean, ah, basically I heard that Mr. Toyoda really like it and he wants to push it very very closely to production... the exterior.

The interior I think... it's ah... I would be very surprised if there would be something left. Basic idea was actually the same as exterior... to emphasize the low center of gravity and emphasize the lightweight feeling. So...

Sutclifffe
Right... so you deliberately make it appear as low as possible...

Cech
yes... create a dominant central tunnel and really light IP... no addditional. The original dasboard idea was to create trimming the oven ducting and the idea of the zippers was to... not just a decoration but to... but for example instead of creating plastic pockets... is just as a you have like a jacket pocket, so you're taking away unnecessary plastic.

Sutclifffe
How do you think you'll do that in a production car?

Cech
I don't see why not but I think it's, ah, maybe unconventional.

Sutcliffe
What about... what about backseats? Will there be... will there basically be just no back seat?

Cech
There will be... well there should be two plus two but... ah... actually for small kids.

Sutcliffe
I mean you can potentially be able to seat small adults...

Cech
Small person, yeah.

Sutcliffe
A bit like a 911

Cech
Yeah, I guess... worked a little bit on the concept with Playstation. Is a little bit, yeah again, engaging to have a fun car and... of course when you go to production maybe this will be the GPS standard issue thing. That was the whole idea as well, to try to concentrate all the information in front of you even in a production car... to... so you don't have to look up, down...

Sutcliffe
Everything's just...

Cech
Everything's just...

Sutcliffe
...right there. It looks really neat. And this is just the normal six speed gearbox?

Cech
Yeah. You have a...

Sutclifffe
You won't have anything fancy...

Cech
No. Even the handbrake that was actually the whole intention... it's design in spade of old Corolla so you can go drifting.

Sutcliffe
That's great. I love it. I think it looks absolutely fantastic. It looks as good inside as it does outside. So production in...

Cech

Sutcliffe
...next year? or 2012?

Cech
2012... so two more years

Sutcliffe
An you can confirm that?

Cech
Yes. I could give you probably my left hand on it.

Sutcliffe
Right. Thank you very much...

Cech
Thank you...

Sutcliffe
for showing me around this car. It's great. I'm excited.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #44
Rome

Drives: DC5-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeZer0 View Post
One of the big things they have mentioned so far is that the hood and front portion of the car is too low to meet pedestrian safety requirements. I think this is a positive thing in that the concept hood makes the side view a bit droopy up front and a higher hood could make the car look more agressive.
I don't know I actually like the sloped front end, a higher hood line will make it look more like a GTR IMO.
Rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #45
Doty0588

Drives: '00 GC6
Yeah, that was one of the things I really liked about it, that the hood sat so low.
Doty0588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #46
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
Wow thanks for that axel, i guess the looks of the concept will be close the production but higher hood, love how he says "No. Even the handbrake that was actually the whole intention... it's design in spade of old Corolla so you can go drifting."
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #47
stevens8

Drives: '12 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
= 2755 pounds !! sounds good enough to me!

(not exactly "ultra-light"... but in this day & age of safety measures, and keeping the car fairly cheap...)
Ah man. My rsx only ways 2729 pounds! I was hoping for under 2600
stevens8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #48
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I agree, 2750 is too heavy. I'm still hoping on the competition model though. If it can be somewhere in the 2600's than I can take that.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #49
ftw-86

Drives: none

So the image of Fuji speedway is actually powered by XP. Hmmmm.

Last edited by ftw-86; 02-20-2010 at 02:14 PM.
ftw-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #50
Nemesis
H. Badger Cares About Him

Drives: BMW 335i coupe w/ man.6 spd
Not to sound like a broken record, but I was partial to the low front end and the way the entire front end looks like an angry hooded cobra. Selfishly I wish that they would make a special front end for the UK and let the rest of us have the awesome one thats on their now. I don't want a higher hood line. Toyota is going to have to work some serious magic if they plan to the change the hood and still keep the cars mojo. The way it looks currently is so muscley and yet agile. It's going to be hard for them to change the shape of the front end without taking away from the front end. I have to say that that pedestrian law may be keeping some people safe, but it has turned a lot of cool cars ugly. Just look at what BMW did to the MINI. It looks so watered down now because the original front end did not meet the new pedestrian safty laws. I was actually looking at getting a MINI S, but gave it up when i saw that they made it so ugly.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #51
Doty0588

Drives: '00 GC6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Not to sound like a broken record, but I was partial to the low front end and the way the entire front end looks like an angry hooded cobra. Selfishly I wish that they would make a special front end for the UK and let the rest of us have the awesome one thats on their now. I don't want a higher hood line. Toyota is going to have to work some serious magic if they plan to the change the hood and still keep the cars mojo. The way it looks currently is so muscley and yet agile. It's going to be hard for them to change the shape of the front end without taking away from the front end. I have to say that that pedestrian law may be keeping some people safe, but it has turned a lot of cool cars ugly. Just look at what BMW did to the MINI. It looks so watered down now because the original front end did not meet the new pedestrian safty laws. I was actually looking at getting a MINI S, but gave it up when i saw that they made it so ugly.
+1

Last edited by Doty0588; 02-20-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Doty0588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #52
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post
if it does not come with a turbo option i'll wait for the subaru version!
+1 Gotta have a turbo version!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack154 View Post
I hope there's head room. I barely have room for me and my helmet in the tC. Being 6'3" and about 210 lbs really doesn't allow me to fit in some things.
It doesn't good for passengers in the back seat though!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #53
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftw-86 View Post

So the image of Fuji speedway is actually powered by XP. Hmmmm.
I notice that, actually I was thinking its more like navi and maybe that data fr that ps3 they are talking about.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #54
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post
if it does not come with a turbo option i'll wait for the subaru version!
You should wait for the subaru version anyways.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #55
fernan2

Drives: Wrx
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
You should wait for the subaru version anyways.
i probably will my friend i probably will, subaru is SOO much reliable! hahahaha
fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #56
ack154
New Subaru Owner

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Those of you looking for some super lightweight thing here are probably going to be really disappointed. You have to remember all of the safety crap and other extra stuff that must be crammed into these cars today. My tC is only about an inch or so longer than the "current" dimensions of the concept but weighs 3100 lbs.

So if it's under 2900, I'd be pretty stoked.
ack154 is offline   Reply With Quote