follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoCartman View Post
Ingen, that's the second thread you've made this assertion in. Where are you getting this from?! Source?! Because if they had a "non competition agreement", they wouldn't be selling both cars in the same market at all. It's not like Ferraris and Fords, where someone's driving an FR-S today, but really dreams of winning the lottery so he can go buy a BRZ.

Also? See every other market in the world that gets multiple trim levels; and America's history of getting ****ed over by foreign car makers, and getting whatever scraps they decide to throw us (e.g. 240SX instead of Silvia, only three years of the FD3S, etc...) There is no non-competition agreement: Toyota simply made the decision that it was not financially viable to send over multiple trim levels (probably right), and this segued nicely with Scion's loathsome "no trim levels, one spec model" business plan. Subaru obviously felt differently about the idea of trim levels (though I wonder how many people specifically wanted the Premium and not the Limited trim, versus how many settled because that's all they could find).
I would gladly save the $2k you get from buying a scion over a Subaru. Personally, the features that came with it for that price wasn't worth it to me. That $2k went straight to a clear bra and opti coat lol.
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlokk View Post
Theres so many little things they cheaped out on, that would add a lot of value.
I can understand your thinking that way. It doesn't have nearly the bells and whistles my wife's CR-V has. However, I think of it as "going back to basics" and don't think of it as a cheapening out tactic. I have a neat little coupe that doesn't need all the adornment of goodies to make it an enjoyable driving experience.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Carban (10-11-2012), einzlr (10-18-2012), Texas BRZ (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
NSFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas FR-S View Post
You have a point, but there are enthusiasts out here who have owned two-seat sports cars prior to their FR-S / BRZ, which have made a compromise out daily driving in the past. I would've loved to own a fun-to-drive, lightweight sports car with at least some versatility to take my small kids and car seats to go along... And now that day has come.

Yeah, it's tight back there... But I can take my two kids w/ car seats anywhere without making myself feel guilty or selfish. And that's significant for me... Just because this car is a two door sports car, that doesn't mean that a family man can't get the best out of it.

Now, don't get me boiling...

(Sorry for the rant!)
I'm enjoying the insurance break!, my son loves to go drifting with me, its always "oh shit!" face, then clapping lol... hes 3 and when it starts raining, he runs to the front door and look at me with "you know we gotta go right now!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
i believe if you are over 5'0" tall,you will
end up a "deformed" human when exiting
the back seat,and may possibly be wearing
a ''colostomy" bag for the remainder of your life.
also,i would NOT recommend attempting to "fu*k"
back there either, as there is no sun roof option!..just sayin'
yeah you have to lay the girl over the center console, and do it doggy.

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
einzlr (10-18-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #18
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I think it's funny how we complain about the speaker situation yet I remember very vividly that before 2005 speakers in cars were SOOOOOOOO SHITTY. You literally were FORCED to go aftermarket if you wanted a half decent sound. I'm fine with the speakers we have now. Just the rattle thing is a small downer.
ftc~brz (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
hippari
I Love your GUCCI Wheels!

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Send a message via AIM to hippari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
I think it's funny how we complain about the speaker situation yet I remember very vividly that before 2005 speakers in cars were SOOOOOOOO SHITTY. You literally were FORCED to go aftermarket if you wanted a half decent sound. I'm fine with the speakers we have now. Just the rattle thing is a small downer.
Word.

I think more of you guys need to live with an old beater for a while or something. lol

I came from a 99 Miata and the FR-S just feels so much more accommodating in everyway while still delivering all that fun I used to have.

@jinxyboi | @_iLLdynasty
Rice for the Rice God
hippari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hippari For This Useful Post:
Carban (10-11-2012), ExWhyZer0 (10-11-2012), Rayme (10-11-2012), SPEEDGOD (10-20-2012), Synack (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
I'm enjoying the insurance break!, my son loves to go drifting with me, its always "oh shit!" face, then clapping lol... hes 3 and when it starts raining, he runs to the front door and look at me with "you know we gotta go right now!"
I wish I had the guts to that... The closest my 4 year old and 1 year old girls get to do with me are the 'parade laps' between a track event (slow cruising laps on the road course). If I were to push on the acceleration ever so slightly, my 4 year old would throw a toy at me in anger, lol! She goes after her mom!

Sorry for dragging this off-topic...

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
carbonBLUE (10-19-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #21
ExWhyZer0

Drives: Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippari View Post
Word.

I think more of you guys need to live with an old beater for a while or something. lol

I came from a 99 Miata and the FR-S just feels so much more accommodating in everyway while still delivering all that fun I used to have.

I came from a 95 Accord sedan. The word beater is right. When I bought that little car off of someone it had a shit paint job, and poor sound. I used my speakers and little crappy head unit from my first vehicle to make up for the sound. It still sucked lol. So I appreciate the "cheap set up" that many feel are gimped lol. I was actually surprised how well it sounded when I test drove the car. Now that being said, I will probably change out the head unit cause I would like an LCD display.
ExWhyZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
Carban
Grease Monkey

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
It sounds like many of you have forgotten what this car is about. Ive been following the FR-S longgg before production, and it is everything i wished for +plus more. I did not buy this car for "steering wheel controls" or "auto headlights" , or in that case, AUTO-ANYTHING. This car is built for the DRIVER to DRIVE. Not to push a button, let it crank over, and relax in luxury on your way to the store. If you wanted that you shoulda bought anything but an FR-S.

...so strange hearing some of the complaints about this car. its like ppl just thought it looked cool, bought it, then started crying because the computer didnt do everything for them.

From the ground up it was built to modify and drive. Instead of dwelling on the sound system (which i think sounds freakin great stock), try thorwin a roll cage in ur car, thats right the dash was built for adding a roll cage. and thats just one example.
how about a track day? no complaints.
einzlr (10-18-2012), ftc~brz (10-11-2012), lazyluka (10-11-2012), Stevieray (10-16-2012), TennisHsu (10-16-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
T-SoL

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
Did you happen to change the mode to FR-S? By default it's set to TC (Another Scion Model) It sounds terrible if you don't set it and it seems like so many dealers don't know about it.
can you elaborate on this? how do i know it is in TC mode? and how can i change to FR-S mode if that was the case?

Thanks
T-SoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #24
hippari
I Love your GUCCI Wheels!

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Send a message via AIM to hippari
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-SoL View Post
can you elaborate on this? how do i know it is in TC mode? and how can i change to FR-S mode if that was the case?

Thanks
There's gotta be a settings area in the menu UI. I have the bespoke and found it by accident just fiddling around with it. I don't personally think the change is as noticeable, but I guess the car modes determine where to center sound as well as make it appropriate for our differing speaker quantity and locations.

@jinxyboi | @_iLLdynasty
Rice for the Rice God
hippari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carban View Post
It sounds like many of you have forgotten what this car is about. Ive been following the FR-S longgg before production, and it is everything i wished for +plus more. I did not buy this car for "steering wheel controls" or "auto headlights" , or in that case, AUTO-ANYTHING. This car is built for the DRIVER to DRIVE. Not to push a button, let it crank over, and relax in luxury on your way to the store. If you wanted that you shoulda bought anything but an FR-S.

...so strange hearing some of the complaints about this car. its like ppl just thought it looked cool, bought it, then started crying because the computer didnt do everything for them.

From the ground up it was built to modify and drive. Instead of dwelling on the sound system (which i think sounds freakin great stock), try thorwin a roll cage in ur car, thats right the dash was built for adding a roll cage. and thats just one example.
how about a track day? no complaints.
My thoughts exactly. No steering wheel buttons = WIN!
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lazyluka For This Useful Post:
Carban (10-15-2012), einzlr (10-18-2012), ftc~brz (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #26
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-SoL View Post

Thanks
EDIT: Found it, it was a sticky under the Electronics secion: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7578

(This is with the stock stereo, I don't know about the Bespoke system)

So off the top of my head: With the car off, turn the key to electronics mode (or whatever mode it's called, just don't start the engine). Hold down the big button on the radio (I don't remember if you need to turn on the radio or not) and go to "Mode" or something, it's probably set as TC, and change it to FR-S. And since you're already here, change enable SUB-W also. You'll get a stronger subwoofer, if you're into that.

I couldn't find it through search, but that's pretty much it.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #27
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarviz View Post
I would gladly save the $2k you get from buying a scion over a Subaru. Personally, the features that came with it for that price wasn't worth it to me. That $2k went straight to a clear bra and opti coat lol.
I think the car scion came out with is exactly what it should be. If it had any of the "luxury features" like leather, bi-xenon and LED (which the subie has), auto headlight, heated seats, 18" wheels & brembos, a better stereo with a sub etc...the car would start to cost almost 30K $, and in my opinion, people would have said it would be too expensive. By comparaison the honda civic SI is the same price here in Canada and most sports the same specs, and the civic seriously feel like an inferior car compared to the FR-S. (I still really like the SI btw, but for the same price, why would I go with a FWD civic???)

It's a 86, let's not forget, a cheap sports cars for the honest living citizens I can live with my halogen headlights and rattly door speakers.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rayme For This Useful Post:
Carban (10-15-2012), ftc~brz (10-11-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #28
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas FR-S View Post
I wish I had the guts to that... The closest my 4 year old and 1 year old girls get to do with me are the 'parade laps' between a track event (slow cruising laps on the road course). If I were to push on the acceleration ever so slightly, my 4 year old would throw a toy at me in anger, lol! She goes after her mom!

Sorry for dragging this off-topic...
racing something is in my family blood, my daughter likes drag racing and nascar, lol... expensive hobbies for them in the future lol, too bad itll be coming out of my paycheck till they are 16, prob get them into shifter kart racing or something to begin with

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote