follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #239
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Even with the high boost pulley this is all that could be expected from 93 octane? Isn't that similar to the power output on standard pulley given the same set up?
With 93 octane and the JR factory tune, you can expect to get around 250-265whp. I haven't dyno'd my car, but that's what it feels like to me and people with similar setups get those kinds of numbers too.

As for getting 280 with a catless header, the Type A header you mentioned is equal length, which gives better high rpm gains while uel gives better low end. Having a full performance exhaust will also make a big difference. I don't think 280 is unreasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
i was wondering the same thing, but it could be because you're going to be running a catted header. Is the rest of your exhaust setup stock as well?
Hey I'm the guy who originally asked the question lol. My setup would be a catted header with an otherwise stock exhaust. I also have a Tomei 60S catback that I may throw on, but it's not like catbacks make a difference on this car other than noise. It's my daily and I do a lot of highway miles, so I would go crazy if it was basically straightpiped.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #240
Bykov

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I was going to PM CSG directly but thought since this has not been asked on either of the JR threads I would go ahead and do it here in case someone else was thinking of doing this or hasn't but might like the idea. The stock pulley at sea level and with ideal boost weather makes 9.5 psi from what I have seen. The factory tune is calibrated around this and on 91 gas. I live WELL above the grapevine at 5000 feet and my place of duty is at 5200 feet. I anticipate I will make about 7 psi with the stock pulley at this elevation but I could be wrong as I do not have the kit YET.

What I am contemplating is installing the HBP and running it on the CARB tune at the high elevation I live. I understand it is a risk to my blower if I over-rev (but a risk N/A either way) and a risk to my engine on the CARB tune if I over boost which could be possible. What I would like to see is on the best day what kind of boost will I get and if I will break 9 psi at 7400 rpm or if I won't even hit it. I would approach this the safest way I could imagine with a boost gauge and slowly revving up to redline under load. I would stop accelerating at 8.5 psi and see where I am vs rpm then the answer would be clear.

My question is would you (CSG and/or JR) condone this or is it simply too risky; or have I completely missed some detail and I am completely wrong in my reasoning here? The goal is to have the SC perform the way it does for people that get to enjoy it at lower altitude where I will be living for the next few years. I am fully willing to swap pulleys for any travel I will be doing. I am not willing to lower my redline so if I hit 9 psi by 7200 rpm I will not go through with this idea.
Bykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #241
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
With 93 octane and the JR factory tune, you can expect to get around 250-265whp. I haven't dyno'd my car, but that's what it feels like to me and people with similar setups get those kinds of numbers too.

As for getting 280 with a catless header, the Type A header you mentioned is equal length, which gives better high rpm gains while uel gives better low end. Having a full performance exhaust will also make a big difference. I don't think 280 is unreasonable.
You ought to go read about the ace header with 350 over pipe. It isn't like other equal length headers. It makes big gains in the midrange. Pretty neat really! Plus I do have a full exhaust with one high flow cat in the front pipe. I want to find out what gains are possible on 93 with the high boost pulley. E85 is very out of my way to get in my town. We have one e85 station, and It is in an area that isn't in my normal travel areas. I am already in the 280 whp range with my car's current configuration on 93.
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:30 PM   #242
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bykov View Post
So I was going to PM CSG directly but thought since this has not been asked on either of the JR threads I would go ahead and do it here in case someone else was thinking of doing this or hasn't but might like the idea. The stock pulley at sea level and with ideal boost weather makes 9.5 psi from what I have seen. The factory tune is calibrated around this and on 91 gas. I live WELL above the grapevine at 5000 feet and my place of duty is at 5200 feet. I anticipate I will make about 7 psi with the stock pulley at this elevation but I could be wrong as I do not have the kit YET.

What I am contemplating is installing the HBP and running it on the CARB tune at the high elevation I live. I understand it is a risk to my blower if I over-rev (but a risk N/A either way) and a risk to my engine on the CARB tune if I over boost which could be possible. What I would like to see is on the best day what kind of boost will I get and if I will break 9 psi at 7400 rpm or if I won't even hit it. I would approach this the safest way I could imagine with a boost gauge and slowly revving up to redline under load. I would stop accelerating at 8.5 psi and see where I am vs rpm then the answer would be clear.

My question is would you (CSG and/or JR) condone this or is it simply too risky; or have I completely missed some detail and I am completely wrong in my reasoning here? The goal is to have the SC perform the way it does for people that get to enjoy it at lower altitude where I will be living for the next few years. I am fully willing to swap pulleys for any travel I will be doing. I am not willing to lower my redline so if I hit 9 psi by 7200 rpm I will not go through with this idea.
Just spend the extra couple bucks and get the Delicious tune. I was just talking to them last week about running the HBP at our elevation with no fuel upgrades. (Which I am not going to do but they were willing to help test it out)
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:45 AM   #243
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post

Hey I'm the guy who originally asked the question lol. My setup would be a catted header with an otherwise stock exhaust. I also have a Tomei 60S catback that I may throw on, but it's not like catbacks make a difference on this car other than noise. It's my daily and I do a lot of highway miles, so I would go crazy if it was basically straightpiped.
Okay! Lol that makes a lot more sense now, almost broke my heart when I saw "With the HBP you'll only get around 280whp" and i was like WHAT!!!!!!
And I'm sure a catback does help maybe not much but hey 2.5" helps with the back pressure although turbos seem to benefit a lot more from that.

Now I'm assuming you're keeping your exhaust stock because of emissions right? I would honestly strongly recommend a catless header I don't know how strict they are in NJ but they can't be nowhere near as bad as CA, I thought Middle TN was up tight about emissions but actually they're pretty chill. And honestly if you have the stock catted FP and OP wouldn't that be all they check for, who's going to actually take that metal cover under our header and actually check?

Alright I'm getting off topic now but I'm sure a catless header would get us in the 300whp range if anything and since we have an abundance of 93 Oct here in the south I think we'll be good! Since you're near by you should come to TN and hit up Tail of the Dragon(;
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:57 AM   #244
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
You ought to go read about the ace header with 350 over pipe. It isn't like other equal length headers. It makes big gains in the midrange. Pretty neat really! Plus I do have a full exhaust with one high flow cat in the front pipe. I want to find out what gains are possible on 93 with the high boost pulley. E85 is very out of my way to get in my town. We have one e85 station, and It is in an area that isn't in my normal travel areas. I am already in the 280 whp range with my car's current configuration on 93.
Underpromise, overdeliver.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #245
twag4

Drives: frs
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Underpromise, overdeliver.
All I know is that I am super pleased with it!
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:23 PM   #246
Bykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
Just spend the extra couple bucks and get the Delicious tune. I was just talking to them last week about running the HBP at our elevation with no fuel upgrades. (Which I am not going to do but they were willing to help test it out)

I am very aware of the capability of Delicious Tuning's FNG tuning for this platform and I will run it for when I upgrade to Flex Fuel. However that is not what I am trying to accomplish here. Where I am stationed currently the Smog laws are quite strict. In some aspects worse than California and in some aspects better. What I am trying to do is exactly what I stated and I am wondering if it is worth carrying out the experiment as this could benefit the whole community if successful.

If you don't mind me asking, if you have the JRSC kit, what peak boost are you hitting at what altitude?
Old 01-04-2016, 09:23 PM   #247
Bykov

I answered my own question by going through the owners thread again. Looks like the losses aren't as significant as I had expected at altitude and I was completely wrong. It is not worth pursuing this theory. The altitude in the quote is about 6000 feet. Looks like I will be completely stock on the CARB tune until I move somewhere without extreme smog laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutions Performance View Post
Hey guys, yes, these numbers are corrected. The car hit 9psi by redline due to our altitude. At the higher elevation SD tuning is not required. This car hit about 4.7v on the maf, but did not max out. These could easily be tuned via maf only at sea level with just a larger maf housing. If there is a market we would be willing to make one. For comparison our turbo kit on 8 psi made 320whp with the same correction factor.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #248
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bykov View Post
I am very aware of the capability of Delicious Tuning's FNG tuning for this platform and I will run it for when I upgrade to Flex Fuel. However that is not what I am trying to accomplish here. Where I am stationed currently the Smog laws are quite strict. In some aspects worse than California and in some aspects better. What I am trying to do is exactly what I stated and I am wondering if it is worth carrying out the experiment as this could benefit the whole community if successful.

If you don't mind me asking, if you have the JRSC kit, what peak boost are you hitting at what altitude?
7 or 8 depending on the season according to the ecutek logs. That car you quoted above from rev performance was also my car. I don't know where that 9psi number came from. I have never seen my car make that using my own measurements. Are you still in Utah? All of our JRSC cars have passed emissions.
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #249
Bykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
7 or 8 depending on the season according to the ecutek logs. That car you quoted above from rev performance was also my car. I don't know where that 9psi number came from. I have never seen my car make that using my own measurements. Are you still in Utah? All of our JRSC cars have passed emissions.

Yes I am in Utah and I am very confident the JRSC will pass emissions on the CARB tune which is why I am getting it. Though I doubt my car would pass emissions in my county with the mods I will be doing when I go to E85 because I will be deleting the cat in the header with a full 2.5 inch exhaust. So I guess I will just live with it and enjoy higher boost whenever I make the drive down to Cali to see my family. If you have some insight on smog laws for Davis county and I missed something you should PM me since this is getting a little off topic. I would love to be able to run E85 with DT's BTFF kit, HBP, and the full exhaust.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #250
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Which gear is typically used for dyno pulls?
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:17 AM   #251
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
Which gear is typically used for dyno pulls?
For a true 1:1 on a dynojet, 5th is the most correct gear on standard USDM gearsets with an MT. But for tuning purposes we'll frequently use 4th to fine tune things, since it is a shorter duration and easier on the car. Then do a 5th gear run to finish things off and make sure no additional knock takes place under the longer duration load. That'll also give the most accurate number when comparing to other dynos/locations.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
Bykov (01-17-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 01:57 AM   #252
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just been poking around doing research on different FI systems and this caught my eye. I'm wondering, is it possible to add a boost controller to this system? So I can just go straight for the HBP with all supporting mods, but turn it down until I feel I'm ready. Basically giving myself some growing room without having to go back to the tuner or swapping the pulleys myself.

Again, its a pretty newb question. I searched around but didnt find anything about adding a controller to SC systems. (Probably cause they dont usually put out enough boost to warrant a controller I assume).
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote