follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #43
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonBomb View Post
These dumb asses rated me at $18,850 trade in value hahahahahahah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma007 View Post
They offered me 18 grand for a 22K mile limited auto at local honda few months ago...I also laughed and left.
Why don't you guys go get a quote from a pawn shop while you're at it. I'm sure Rick Harrison would give you 100% of market value.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Decep (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #44
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
At the time subaru GTP was at like $23000...
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #45
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Why don't you guys go get a quote from a pawn shop while you're at it. I'm sure Rick Harrison would give you 100% of market value.
He asked a question and I answered.

Real world advice..... Don't ever do a trade in, it is just a modern tool to keep you in the old institution of financial slavery. Always private party sell your cars. Be smart, put enough down to always keep your payments ahead of the curve of the rate that your car will devalue. That way private selling before your car is paid off won't put you upside on your loan. I owe somewhere in the $8k range on my loan so I wouldn't be screwed regardless of how or when I sell.

**I'm not planning on selling this car. It's going with me to the grave next to my evo and future civic type r lol
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TachyonBomb For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #46
FitchAlcyone

Drives: 2019 BRZ Series.Gray
Quote:
These dumb asses rated me at $18,850 trade in value hahahahahahah

I literally have 2,600 miles on my car

This was a good laugh.

what is everyone else getting as an "estimate trade in value"

**Update**
if you look at the "learn more" link next to the estimate it says that the estimate is based on a series yellow with 22,500 miles on it.

Thanks for checking. I haven't used MySubaru in a while, is there still the option to manually enter in your mileage for the car? I wonder if the 22.5k estimate is what's giving such an awful number. Historically, the GTP was generally pretty good to me when I was trading in my first BRZ.

I mean, when my friend was trading in his BRZ.
FitchAlcyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #47
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swabodda View Post
It is steep. It's also wrong... You can get them starting at $50 on FT86SpeedFactory.

The JDM ones are close to $100 with shipping and tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #48
TachyonBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchAlcyone View Post
Thanks for checking. I haven't used MySubaru in a while, is there still the option to manually enter in your mileage for the car? I wonder if the 22.5k estimate is what's giving such an awful number. Historically, the GTP was generally pretty good to me when I was trading in my first BRZ.

I mean, when my friend was trading in his BRZ.
You can enter your mileage manually but it does not adjust the quote. It is mostly for service mile documenting. The quote mileage is either based off something generic like the when the cars were first sold (late 2016) or when your actual car was bought.

I don't think it's the 2nd option though because my car was bought 14 months ago and estimating someone drives 22,500 miles in a year is a little extreme even in California. So it must be a generic estimate from when the 2017 model year first went on sale (about 2 years ago now)
The Following User Says Thank You to TachyonBomb For This Useful Post:
FitchAlcyone (08-09-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #49
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A month ago, I went to Subaru dealer to trade my 2008 Cadillac Escalade EXT with 70K miles, and the dealer offered me $9,000 and sales rep wouldn't budge on his BRZ TS $34K. I went to CarMax and they offered me $16K, finally, I sold for $20K at Texas Direct. What is wrong with the dealer? I never went back to the dealer and they called me several times since they screwed up the trade, they would offer me a good price just $1,000 off on BRZ. Never ever again trade in a car at the dealer. Bye the way, I also have 2003 Honda Pilot with 175K miles and dealer offered me $2,000????
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #50
mrderp
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: 860 SansOverspray
Added some 86 love to the list.
Quote:
FAKE NEWS!!!
Year - BRZ - WRX/STI/Crossover - 86
2015 - Series Blue - Launch edition - RS1.0 Yuzu Yellow
2016 - Series Hyper Blue - Series Hyper Blue - RS2.0 Lunar Storm (Subaru Desert Khaki)
2017 - Series Yellow - Mysteriously Absent - Tomato Paste W/Stripe
2018 - TS/50th - RA/50th - Thunder From Down Under
2019 - Series Grey - Series Grey - Neptune's Net
mrderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #51
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrderp View Post
The Lunar Storm RS series is so awesome. I saw one for the first time at my office the other week. Maybe my favorite FRS
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J1Avs For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (09-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #52
TachyonBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrderp View Post
Oh ya those are the missing 86 colors! Totally brain farted on them. Desert Khaki is one of my favorite colors

I'm also really digging the new 86 Neptune color.

They should have kept a lot of the special colors and every day/every year colors.

I would have handed over my money so much faster if subaru had desert khaki, hyperblue or cool khaki grey in 2017.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #53
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Real world advice..... Don't ever do a trade in, it is just a modern tool to keep you in the old institution of financial slavery. Always private party sell your cars. Be smart, put enough down to always keep your payments ahead of the curve of the rate that your car will devalue. That way private selling before your car is paid off won't put you upside on your loan. I owe somewhere in the $8k range on my loan so I wouldn't be screwed regardless of how or when I sell.

**I'm not planning on selling this car. It's going with me to the grave next to my evo and future civic type r lol
you'll definitely get full value selling private.
But you cant assume your car WILL sell at the price you like.
Heck it may even take a long time to find a good buyer who isn't low balling the hell out of you. its what happened to my sis and her husband. They bought a new car over a year ago and decided to sell the existing car privately instead of trading it in. They haven't been able to sell it and I think they dropped the price twice from the initial ask. They kind of gave up for the time being but It'll get back on the market at some point.

some people just don't got the time and energy to deal with that, and perhaps the extra hit you take on a trade in is worth saving all that time and energy and not have the car sitting around taking up space anymore.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #54
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Great advice! But do the math on every deal to see what works out. I got them down on my BRZ and then got them to go up on my trade enough where with the tax savings we were within a couple hundered dollars difference if I sold my car myself. For me it is well worth a couple hundred not to have to deal with idiots trying to by my car!!!!!!!!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #55
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Great advice! But do the math on every deal to see what works out. I got them down on my BRZ and then got them to go up on my trade enough where with the tax savings we were within a couple hundered dollars difference if I sold my car myself. For me it is well worth a couple hundred not to have to deal with idiots trying to by my car!!!!!!!!
also, in many states you only pay taxes on the 'net' value of the transaction. so for example in middle tennessee where i live, if i was buying a $30,000 brz at negotiated price inclusive of all fees - i would pay the 7% that applies to vehicle sales worth of taxes on that $30k, or $2,100. but if i had a tradein that was valued at $15k (just to make things simple) that was part of that transaction, i would pay taxes on the net $15k part of the transaction, or $1,050. now, if i had a private seller that was willing to pay me $16,050 for my tradein it would be for all intents and purposes a net even deal.

all of that math was incredibly simplified and im sure there's some tax focused dude out there that can't wait to speak up about something that's not perfect here but the bigger picture is the same - there are tax implications that make it more advantageous to bring the tradein as part of the overall deal, which helps make a bit more sense not even including all of the time and effort needed to privately sell your vehicle.

as with all items of tax or financial advice, your mileage may vary.

- perry
Old 08-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #56
MrClean614

Drives: 981 Boxster, ‘17 BRZ+PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
The Subaru BRZ Series.Gray, potentially a 2019 Model, is coming!

Do like this Series.Grey quite a bit, especially with the black wheels. Works well with the car’s black accents.

Reminds me a bit of Audi’s Nardo grey.

Tint it, drop it, space it and call it a day.
MrClean614 is offline   Reply With Quote