follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #57
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,517 Times in 18,919 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
SMH at the ongoing vehicle arms race. Makes me sick. Fuck insecure ignorant bitches of either gender driving SUVs because "safety."

Grrr!...

That is all.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #58
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Any spikes in oil pricing and they're in for a world of hurt.

Not sure I agree with the decision, but corporate America only cares about profit.
You mean like how gas prices have been climbing through April? Regular in Pa. is at $3 a gallon or just a little over that. Heard a clip from a podcast and they say it's because the economy is stronger now and more people are out and about, highest demand for gas in April since April 2014 and that crude prices are also on the rise.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:39 PM   #59
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Many many want new cars and that included sedans. I can never wrap my head around the frequently stated "just buy a better used one". Where do all these used cars come from if nobody should buy new?....
It tends to be cyclical like most other commodities. Used car prices vary right along with supply and demand. When there are lots of used cars available, prices fall and you can get a great used car for cheap. Lots of people on the bubble price wise will go with the "better level" used car. Eventually the price gap narrows and folks go back to new cars. All those new cars become used cars, the cycle starts again.

We saw this in the US after the "cash for clunkers" deal. it killed the used car supply causing folks to move to new. Eventually it swung back the other way.

You also see it when there is a huge lease fleet come on the market. This happened recently in Atlanta when all the Nissan Leafs that were basically free for a two year lease with "green" incentives. Now, they can't give the used ones away there are so many back off-lease.

Last summer we bought my soon a 2 year old off-lease Ford Focus for just at 50% off the original sticker price, still with 10,000 miles left on the warranty. It would have been very hard to have justified buying a new one given that.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-29-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #60
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
You mean like how gas prices have been climbing through April? Regular in Pa. is at $3 a gallon or just a little over that. Heard a clip from a podcast and they say it's because the economy is stronger now and more people are out and about, highest demand for gas in April since April 2014 and that crude prices are also on the rise.
I meant a spike due to a major shock to the economy, war overseas, or natural disaster.

Let's not forget the Gulf Coast has like the lion's share of petroleum refining capability in the US, a good hurricane + a random conflict involving one of the Persian Gulf states can easily make oil spike sky high.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:40 PM   #61
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
I meant a spike due to a major shock to the economy, war overseas, or natural disaster.

Let's not forget the Gulf Coast has like the lion's share of petroleum refining capability in the US, a good hurricane + a random conflict involving one of the Persian Gulf states can easily make oil spike sky high.
And the Canadian dollar will go up and all of a sudden we can get cheap car parts!
Dadhawk (04-30-2018), JustSomeGuy (04-30-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 05:19 AM   #62
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well, toyota and honda is still there.

Did you guys see the new avalon? Man that's a good car.

Ford and us brand offering is so far behind comepare to the german/japanese auto makers on sedans....

I don't know what ford is smoking but the new camry is still the best selling car in the first quater of 2018 in US.

Last edited by chaoskaze; 05-01-2018 at 07:03 AM.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:20 AM   #63
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Quote:
And the Canadian dollar will go up and all of a sudden we can get cheap car parts!
Then you can invest in US real estate like lots canadian did back in 2013!
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:52 AM   #64
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Fuck insecure ignorant bitches of either gender driving SUVs because "safety."
Said ignorant bitches interviewed here.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3EvsrMaj6U"]Jeremy Clarkson's view on off-road cars, 4x4s and the school run - Clarkson's Car Years - BBC worldwide - YouTube[/ame]
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #65
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Ford will stop selling cars by 2022...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
the new camry is still the best selling car in the first quater of 2018 in US.

That's not because the Camry is a good car. It's because, generally, people who buy Camrys don't know any better because they've never had anything else. It's a car for people who want an appliance. just like my clothesdryer is an appliance to me. It does the job, but I don't care beyond that. They don't care. They just want a car. It's much easier to go to the Toyota dealer you've always gone to and trade it in for the same drink of beige than it is to go cross shopping. That takes effort.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:51 AM   #66
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Long thread!

The sedans probably went to fleets a lot and can be supplanted with CUVs and SUVs. With so many gears or CVT they are more efficient than ever.

And high COG designs will be less so when fitted with varying degrees of electrification.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:58 AM   #67
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
...Changing cars to "save money" on mileage is another myth. It rarely actually saves real money. Again, something most people overlook.
This .. ^^^^ .. about a million times. Some friends of mine were in a difficult financial position, so they sold their house and bought a slightly smaller cheaper one to "save money." Thing is, they owed less on their previous house than the purchase price of their new house and less on that mortgage (and less time to go) than they do on their new mortgage. "But.. but... lower payments.." ... well, then refinance.. "but... smaller.. cheaper to heat.." .. the extra $20K in debt recently incurred by new mortgage buys a LOT of heat.. "but..but.. cash in hand after closing" ... ummm.. no... extra debt incurred by taking said cash. No matter what, I couldn't get them to understand what was really happening. Refinancing to lower payments if absolutely necessary due to family circumstances, sure. Incurring MORE debt to save money.. NO. That's like eating ice cream to lose weight.

Same thing with cars. Yes, you can buy a car that will get better mileage than your current car, but you'll almost assuredly spend more purchasing a newer car than any savings you realize in gas expenditure. Saving money is NEVER a reason to buy a newer car.
Dadhawk (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 09:33 AM   #68
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
This .. ^^^^ .. about a million times. Some friends of mine were in a difficult financial position, so they sold their house and bought a slightly smaller cheaper one to "save money." Thing is, they owed less on their previous house than the purchase price of their new house and less on that mortgage (and less time to go) than they do on their new mortgage. "But.. but... lower payments.." ... well, then refinance.. "but... smaller.. cheaper to heat.." .. the extra $20K in debt recently incurred by new mortgage buys a LOT of heat.. "but..but.. cash in hand after closing" ... ummm.. no... extra debt incurred by taking said cash. No matter what, I couldn't get them to understand what was really happening. Refinancing to lower payments if absolutely necessary due to family circumstances, sure. Incurring MORE debt to save money.. NO. That's like eating ice cream to lose weight.

Same thing with cars. Yes, you can buy a car that will get better mileage than your current car, but you'll almost assuredly spend more purchasing a newer car than any savings you realize in gas expenditure. Saving money is NEVER a reason to buy a newer car.

My wife buys new cars because she sees a colour she like better than what she has! At least the last time I convinced her to dump the gas guzzling SUV for something a little more thrifty.
Dadhawk (05-01-2018), Ultramaroon (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #69
unhappymeal

Drives: 2018 Miata RF, 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
That's not because the Camry is a good car. It's because, generally, people who buy Camrys don't know any better because they've never had anything else. It's a car for people who want an appliance. just like my clothesdryer is an appliance to me. It does the job, but I don't care beyond that. They don't care. They just want a car. It's much easier to go to the Toyota dealer you've always gone to and trade it in for the same drink of beige than it is to go cross shopping. That takes effort.
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. The reality is for a vast majority of people, a car is a means to an end.
unhappymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to unhappymeal For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 10:54 AM   #70
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
My wife buys new cars because she sees a colour she like better than what she has! At least the last time I convinced her to dump the gas guzzling SUV for something a little more thrifty.
The guy/gal who invents a car coating whose color can be changed electrically via remote key fob or dash control is going to become very very rich... or very hated by new car dealers since your wife is hardly alone in her purchasing reasoning in this world.

This technology HAS to exist... right?
Tcoat (05-01-2018)