follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #43
Flash02

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash02 View Post
Well the new bezel arrived today form merry ole England, looks good, just as shinny as the Factory bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, the opening is 6 7/8”

Flash02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:44 AM   #44
Flash02

So I’ve been lurking on the Kenwood site, the popular EU Kenwood DD HU (DDX917WS) is 156mm x 81.6mm, now since us North American folks can’t easy procure that HU I went about comparing Kenwood HU sizes.

So far it looks like the DDX9704s, 6704s and 7704s are the same size as the 917ws, I also found that the adapter harness HRN-RR-TO1 with iDataLink Maestro ADS-MRR will make this all come together. The Maestro will allow steering wheel controls, back up camera and satellite antenna to work.

Seems like the Factory USB/Aux port may need a bit of DIY to get it to interface with a new Head Unit.

I may just pull the trigger and order this all up and see how it goes, I’m sure something will will cause an issue.

One of the perks of a new car is taking advantage of new interface technologies, something Subaru has let us down on, I very much want to have my phone Fully connected to my car.

If ANYONE has any suggestions and or corrections to what I’ve said please speak up.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #45
ncted

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Quote:
So I’ve been lurking on the Kenwood site, the popular EU Kenwood DD HU (DDX917WS) is 156mm x 81.6mm, now since us North American folks can’t easy procure that HU I went about comparing Kenwood HU sizes.

So far it looks like the DDX9704s, 6704s and 7704s are the same size as the 917ws, I also found that the adapter harness HRN-RR-TO1 with iDataLink Maestro ADS-MRR will make this all come together. The Maestro will allow steering wheel controls, back up camera and satellite antenna to work.

Seems like the Factory USB/Aux port may need a bit of DIY to get it to interface with a new Head Unit.

I may just pull the trigger and order this all up and see how it goes, I’m sure something will will cause an issue.

One of the perks of a new car is taking advantage of new interface technologies, something Subaru has let us down on, I very much want to have my phone Fully connected to my car.

If ANYONE has any suggestions and or corrections to what I’ve said please speak up.

I think you will find the face measurement of the DDX917WS is not the same as the US market models. The measurements you reference seem like they are for the body of the unit, which should be the same in both markets.

You can see in the video here how much bigger the face is than the body on the 917WS:

vs. the DDX9704S:

Last edited by ncted; 11-28-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: added video
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ncted For This Useful Post:
Flash02 (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #46
Flash02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
I think you will find the face measurement of the DDX917WS is not the same as the US market models. The measurements you reference seem like they are for the body of the unit, which should be the same in both markets.

You can see in the video here how much bigger the face is than the body on the 917WS:

vs. the DDX9704S:

Yes, you are correct, those measurements are the body, however. The face of the before mentioned HU are just shy of 7”, so the 916-917WS models are very close to what we get here in the US.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #47
ncted

Quote:
Yes, you are correct, those measurements are the body, however. The face of the before mentioned HU are just shy of 7”, so the 916-917WS models are very close to what we get here in the US.

In comparing the two, it looks like the actual screen is similar in size, but the 917WS has about an inch of extra bezel in total, most of it on the right side. As long as you're ok with the extra space on either side of the unit, it should work fine. I personally do not think the 917WS is worth it, just to fill some gaps, but obviously others would disagree. Part of it for me is I would also prefer a Pioneer HU as they do a much better job updating firmware and the like.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #48
Flash02

Quote:

In comparing the two, it looks like the actual screen is similar in size, but the 917WS has about an inch of extra bezel in total, most of it on the right side. As long as you're ok with the extra space on either side of the unit, it should work fine. I personally do not think the 917WS is worth it, just to fill some gaps, but obviously others would disagree. Part of it for me is I would also prefer a Pioneer HU as they do a much better job updating firmware and the like.

No way would I spend the cash on the 917ws, I’m really considering the 9704. I’m curious about the updates, or lack there of you mentioned. I had a Pioneer AVICD3, while outdated by today’s standard it was a very nice SatNav media player, however pioneer never bothered to update the Bluetooth module, as such it was useless.

Any specs to point to a Pioneer over the Kenwood units?

Old 11-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #49
ncted

Quote:
No way would I spend the cash on the 917ws, I’m really considering the 9704. I’m curious about the updates, or lack there of you mentioned. I had a Pioneer AVICD3, while outdated by today’s standard it was a very nice SatNav media player, however pioneer never bothered to update the Bluetooth module, as such it was useless.

Any specs to point to a Pioneer over the Kenwood units?

I was referring to the carplay/android firmware updates. I recently got the AVH-2300NEX in my wife's 2011 Forester XT, and Pioneer had firmware out to support the new CarPlay in iOS 11 while Kenwood did not. Kenwood may have it by now. The Pioneer HU also offered more features with Maestro RR for some reason. I wasn't trying to dis Kenwood by the way. I was just expressing my personal preference.

I would probably go for the MVH-2300NEX for my BRZ, since I have no need for physical media support.
The Following User Says Thank You to ncted For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #50
Flash02

Quote:
I was referring to the carplay/android firmware updates. I recently got the AVH-2300NEX in my wife's 2011 Forester XT, and Pioneer had firmware out to support the new CarPlay in iOS 11 while Kenwood did not. Kenwood may have it by now. The Pioneer HU also offered more features with Maestro RR for some reason. I wasn't trying to dis Kenwood by the way. I was just expressing my personal preference.

I would probably go for the MVH-2300NEX for my BRZ, since I have no need for physical media support.

Cool, thanks for the info, that’s good to know, suddenly I find myself reconsidering brands.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #51
MidEastBeast

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Series. Yellow
Garage
Quote:
I may do the install before Christmas, just depends how aggravated I get with the Slow silly STARLINK Head Unit.

I was aggravated with it week 1 lol
MidEastBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #52
Owl

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Just want to chime in about the Starlink unit...I haven't even had my car a month and it's already on the garage floor. Currently putting in a Sony XAV-AX100 and integrating w/OEM camera and USB port.

I can't believe how big a piece of trash the OEM radio is.
Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #53
Flash02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
Just want to chime in about the Starlink unit...I haven't even had my car a month and it's already on the garage floor. Currently putting in a Sony XAV-AX100 and integrating w/OEM camera and USB port.

I can't believe how big a piece of trash the OEM radio is.

Yeah, it really is garbage

Old 11-30-2017, 09:07 AM   #54
ncted

While I will agree the OEM BRZ head unit is not all that it could be, my experience has not been as bad as I expected based on what I heard before I bought the car. All of the functionality works as expected, albeit marginally so:

1. The radio works, but it has a really hard time holding on to HD signals.
2. Bluetooth audio works, although mine seems to have difficulty maintaining a set volume and randomly disconnects (since iOS 11, so I am blaming Apple).
3. USB works with my 6th generation iPod Nano fine except there does not appear to be any play/pause controls.
4. AUX in works as expected
5. I assume the CD player works -- haven't tried it.

All of the above represent an improvement over the stock unit in my wife's 2011 Forester XT Touring (without Nav). Should Subaru offer something better? Sure, but that isn't what the car is supposed to be all about, so I understand the half-hearted effort.

I'd prefer they just put a cheapo double-din unit in with a standard opening with the assumption that people are going to swap them out for an aftermarket unit as soon as they get the car, and cut the price by a few hundred dollars. Better yet, partner with Best Buy or Crutchfield to offer good options installed upon delivery of the vehicle.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #55
ncted

Quote:
Well the new bezel arrived today form merry ole England, looks good, just as shinny as the Factory bezel.
I can't wait to see it installed.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #56
Misfire

Drives: 2017 Series.Yellow, 2005 LGT wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
No way would I spend the cash on the 917ws, I’m really considering the 9704.
Looked up the price of the 9704, and your comment kinda made me go: "Wait, what?" The 9704 "retails" for $650, I paid $650 for my 917WS... It's from Malaysia, so it's region locked for DVDs, but I never planned to watch DVDs on it, so that was a moot point for me. Also, I see there are sites that have the 9704 for $500~ so, . The 917WS was totally worth it for me, I love the fitment.
Attached Images

Misfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misfire For This Useful Post:
ncted (11-30-2017), rennlistuser3 (11-30-2017)