follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
WhiteGDB

Drives: Civic Si sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The "prius tires" misconception

Ok I'm making this thread out of pure frustration since "auto journalists" are still using "prius tires" or "same tires as the prius" in their reviews of the BRZ/FR-S/86 and posters here assuming they're the low resistance/high milage tires on every non-sports packaged prius.

Those would be these 15" tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...&filterType=oe

According to reviews, press photos, and official photos we can assume the BRZ/FR-S/86 will be coming with Michelin Primacy HP tires which are listed as a grand touring summer tire here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Primacy+HP. Yes they do come standard on JDM prius' with performance package. Although they're not high performance summer tires, they're better than all-seasons and far from the standard tires on non-sports packaged prius' in the first link.

Why do I specify JDM prius? because performance packed US models come with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, just your run of the mill all-seasons that were standard on a variety of other vehicles before they became standard on the top model prius.

So even though the BRZ/FR-S/86 won't come with high performance summer tires, they're better than people think. Just watch the test drives, when someone gets sideways it's because they wanted to, not because of the so-called "prius tires"
WhiteGDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Wait um, are you sure about the Primacy HP? In the US I think the Prius option is the Primacy MXM4, which is an all season. Or maybe I'm wrong.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
I too had to look up this "misconception" about the Michelin Primacy HP tires a while back. They don't look all that bad. did i get frustrated? nah...

The key things the Journalist and the manufactures I think are trying to get across, is that normal and economical tires, are enough rubber to get good road feel and performance without the nagging feeling that you need better "grippier" tires.

In the case of a similar car, the s14 240sx, with 17x8 (215/50), i felt that the car performed like garbage when dealing with economical all season tires. going with a slightly larger contact patch and harder sidewall..(225/45) and All season performance tires i felt the car handled the way it should be.

In the case of the ZN6/ZC6 ...from the reviews it sounds to me that they are using the "prius tires" as a term to describe that its using rubber thats not performance oriented and still get good control. Not to be confused with garbage tires...
Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I didn't even bother pointing out. Thanks for creating this thread.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
duffman13
Auto-Xer

Drives: 2004 Acura RSX Type-S
They're also the same tires that S-class Mercedes get the last time I checked.

They're a summer tire most importantly, which is leagues better than some crap all season rubber cubes.
duffman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
This is already known, and has been known. I don't understand the point of rehashing this again.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Oh so they are not all season tires? I thought they were. Cool!

Man these tires are expensive about $223 to $261 each on tirerack.com for the:

225/45R17 size
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
WhiteGDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
This is already known, and has been known. I don't understand the point of rehashing this again.
This is known to those who took a little time to research, but for many the misconception
and the use of the term "prius tires" still exist. I figure it's easier to have a dedicated thread about it than to repeat yourself everytime a poster uses "prius tires" thinking they're the junk low resistance tires.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGDB View Post
This is known to those who took a little time to research, but for many the misconception
and the use of the term "prius tires" still exist. I figure it's easier to have a dedicated thread about it than to repeat yourself everytime a poster uses "prius tires" thinking they're the junk low resistance tires.
It still exists because it's still accurate, or do you actually expect magazines to write "prius tires (in Japan with the sport package)"?

And they are junk compared to other options out there
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Old 01-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
It still exists because it's still accurate, or do you actually expect magazines to write "prius tires (in Japan with the sport package)"?

Yes I agree they are junk and they are expensive compared to what is out there. They could have picked a better tire. Was it not "Build By Passion Not By Committee"?

Well if it keeps the car cheap...oops not in Japan and Europe.

I actually understand the folks now that want the AS1 with steel 16 inch wheels on them, because we all are going to junk the stock tires and rims and put something else on it.

But hey we are always get 4 donut spare tires and go auto crossing!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
Yes I agree they are junk and they are expensive compared to what is out there. They could have picked a better tire. Was it not "Build By Passion Not By Committee"?
This has been discussed ad nauseam: for the average driver (e.g. not you, me, or most on this forum) those tires are more than enough. For the rest of us, it's best to have tires we won't feel guilty trashing.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
WhiteGDB

Quote:

Why not? Car and Driver did it: "We asked Tada about the tires, and he told us, 'They are Prius tires.' You might think he’s joking, but he’s not. The Michelin Primacy HP tires are identical to those in the Prius’s optional Plus Performance package" and as far as I know was the only review to clarify it.

For you to think the term "prius tires" is accurate would suggest the Primacy HPs were design specifically for the prius, which they weren't. No one's arguing they are good tires as there are always better options than stock tires, but they're not junk compared to the standard non-performance prius tires.

You know as well as I know that posters have continued to believe they are the same low resistance tires on standard prius' and this thread is for those people.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
FRSpdDmn

Drives: 128i, Z3 Coupe, Fiero GT
The tires were 1 of the 3 key design elements that Tada-san had to fight for. The other were RWD only and NON-turbo. The car was designed for the enjoyment of driving. This does not mean that it must be the fastest car in it's class. It will not win drag races, g-force competitions, or post lap records in it's stock configuration. However, it will be a hoot to drive! It is more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow (you can only go SO fast before drawing excessive negative attention).

Having lots of experience in very slow and very fast cars alike, this car is a very refreshing return to a pure driving car, given the current market trends (more power! bigger tires! huge-ass brakes! big wing! techno-wizardry! the car will do the driving for you!).

We do not need more of everything in order to have fun. Just make all the components capable to withstand the way in which it will be driven and work on the balance, the feedback, and the experience. If people feel the need and desire to upgrade some aspects of the car (which is inevitable and a huge part of the marketing and profitability of these cars through TRD and STi parts), then they can go ahead and knock themselves out!
2012 NASA SpecE30 National Champion
www.DriveFasterNow.com
FRSpdDmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGDB View Post
Why not? Car and Driver did it: "We asked Tada about the tires, and he told us, 'They are Prius tires.' You might think he’s joking, but he’s not. The Michelin Primacy HP tires are identical to those in the Prius’s optional Plus Performance package" and as far as I know was the only review to clarify it.

For you to think the term "prius tires" is accurate would suggest the Primacy HPs were design specifically for the prius, which they weren't. No one's arguing they are good tires as there are always better options than stock tires, but they're not junk compared to the standard non-performance prius tires.

You know as well as I know that posters have continued to believe they are the same low resistance tires on standard prius' and this thread is for those people.
When I think "Prius" tires I think of tires that come on a prius, in some form or fashion. That's it.

I recall a few pointing out that they were not standard prius tires.