follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
Chase1996

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Car losing traction in corners

I have a 2013 scion frs, I have put 18x8.5 inch rims and Michelin Pilot SS on them, also have eiback lowering springs, with real control arms. That is all for the suspension. I am having a problem now when going around turns that my car sways/rolls a lot, and my anti braking system comes on a lot more! the biggest issue is, it does not feel safe. I have gotten everything calibrated and aligned to the best I can..

I am looking for a way to reduce this and have not found a solid answer to my question since there is a lot of different items out there. I was thinking about purchasing a rear sway bar in hopes it would fix it...possibly a front? idk, because im not sure if its the front or back that causes this.

Whatever it may be, if you guys do think my best bet would be to get a sway bar etc.. would i need a re alignment or what would I have to do when putting it on?
Chase1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Apex-Apex

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What's your alignment?

Varis 2JZ Build Thread
IG: @apexapexapex
Apex-Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:38 PM   #3
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Which model eibach springs?
Old 02-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Why rear control arms?
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Adding to the list of questions, what size tires?
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #6
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
if you did the alignment yourself, then bring it to a real alignment shop. to me, it definitely sounds like alignment issue. did you install all the items at once? make sure all your bolts are correctly tightened.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
Adding to the list of questions, what size tires?
And pressure?

Sounds like you've discovered the bump stops to me. If that's true, start with trying to get smoother in the corners, not all, but a lot of the pitching and rolling can be smoothed out by good driving. Once you've gotten to the point that you can't fix it any further, then it'll be time to looking into stiffer springs and appropriate dampers.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Chase1996 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
How fast are you taking corners?

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Read these:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...light=handling
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45554
Chase1996 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
MORE QUESTIONS.

You shouldn't need to get an alignment if you're just installing sway bars, to answer one of your questions. I also don't recommend going to a big-ass rear bar.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
Chase1996 (02-26-2016), go_a_way1 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #11
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
I have a 2013 scion frs, I have put 18x8.5 inch rims and Michelin Pilot SS on them, also have eiback lowering springs, with real control arms. That is all for the suspension. I am having a problem now when going around turns that my car sways/rolls a lot, and my anti braking system comes on a lot more! the biggest issue is, it does not feel safe. I have gotten everything calibrated and aligned to the best I can..

I am looking for a way to reduce this and have not found a solid answer to my question since there is a lot of different items out there. I was thinking about purchasing a rear sway bar in hopes it would fix it...possibly a front? idk, because im not sure if its the front or back that causes this.

Whatever it may be, if you guys do think my best bet would be to get a sway bar etc.. would i need a re alignment or what would I have to do when putting it on?
Sway bars are for fine tuning the balance of the car for more or less oversteer and is a driver preference thing, not really a performance mod. They are also the last suspension thing you should change.

As others said get an alignment I would start with -2.5 front and -2.0 camber rear with 0 toe all around.

Again as stated you may be "over tired" as in your tires are not well matched to your suspension, i.e. springs are too soft, tires have to much grip, that will get you into the bump stops rather quick.

TL/DR -2.5 camber front -2.0 camber rear. stiffer springs. Don't do swaybars unless you know what the hell you are doing.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Calum (02-27-2016), Chase1996 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #12
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Instability can come from many sources:
- Some tires can be a little greasy for the first few miles... and that will sort itself out.
- Alignment (especially rear toe) can cause the back end to get loose.
- If an impact wrench was used on the top nut, it might have worn some seals in your front struts.
- The most likely option is as @Calum said: Less Compression Travel + Full-Length Bump Stop = Surprise Skids

Eibach springs SHOULD have come with new bump stops. Those would be the ideal solution. Also, you can chop the existing ones (per this thread LINK) 3/4" from the bottom.

If your troubleshooting doesn't find anything wrong, you can always go back to stock and move to an "all in one" system later (coilovers or reuse the springs with Bilstein/Koni struts).
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
Chase1996 (02-26-2016), strat61caster (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 08:15 PM   #13
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
All an alignment can do is fix toe that's wrong, if the toe is good (zero toe front, slight toe-in rear which should help stabilize the rear) then OP is feeling the effects of heavy wheels, potentially poorly sized tires (lots of floppy rubber or stretched and unresponsive) and maybe the lowering springs have affected his roll center, but I'd be surprised as I don't think even the Eibachs go low enough to do that.

Oooh, did you zero the camber on the rear with your lca? If so, that's it right there, you dun' goofed, you should have somewhere around -1.5 degrees.

FWIW OE suspension can handle a sticky tire in OE size quite well (ran 215 Z2SS all last year on stock coilovers, big thumbs up imo), given that the eibachs are stiffer (less body roll) and the MPSS isn't the stickiest tire in the world I'd be surprised if that was the only factor.

imho
Step 1: Check toe, post numbers from the shop if you have them from before (unclear if you do or not), go to a shop, whatever
Step 2: Test if you change it, report back
Step 3: Bolt on OE wheel/tire if you have them available
Step 4: Test and report back

Buying a sway bar to fix this is like putting a bandaid on a heart-attack given your description of "it feels unsafe".
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Chase1996 (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #14
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
All an alignment can do is fix toe that's wrong, if the toe is good (zero toe front, slight toe-in rear which should help stabilize the rear) then OP is feeling the effects of heavy wheels, potentially poorly sized tires (lots of floppy rubber or stretched and unresponsive) and maybe the lowering springs have affected his roll center, but I'd be surprised as I don't think even the Eibachs go low enough to do that.

Oooh, did you zero the camber on the rear with your lca? If so, that's it right there, you dun' goofed, you should have somewhere around -1.5 degrees.

FWIW OE suspension can handle a sticky tire in OE size quite well (ran 215 Z2SS all last year on stock coilovers, big thumbs up imo), given that the eibachs are stiffer (less body roll) and the MPSS isn't the stickiest tire in the world I'd be surprised if that was the only factor.

imho
Step 1: Check toe, post numbers from the shop if you have them from before (unclear if you do or not), go to a shop, whatever
Step 2: Test if you change it, report back
Step 3: Bolt on OE wheel/tire if you have them available
Step 4: Test and report back

Buying a sway bar to fix this is like putting a bandaid on a heart-attack given your description of "it feels unsafe".
For the sake of our 86 brothers, I wanted to +1 the idea of stock sized Z2's. They add significant grip and only a little weight during low-speed steering (no "numbness" that giant tires give).

This Road & Track's article (LINK) convinced me. Direzzas in stock size took 2 seconds off the lap time and made the car more forgiving. At 235 width, it just slowed them down.

If you're adding significant power... bring on the meaty tires. At stock power, you don't need much.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
Chase1996 (02-26-2016)