follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
meadowz06
THE CORVETTE KING!

Drives: 2013 FR-S, and 2016 FR-S!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S automatic transmission tuning

I have done a search and would like to know what kind of tuning can be done to the automatic FR-S. I am buying one and want to know what are my tuning options for the auto transmission.
Thanks
meadowz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Same things as a manual, but a little less power to the wheels in dyno results.

When researching I remember the auto is rated much higher than the stock M/T clutch. Meaning you should be able to push it with F/I even with little worry.

Honestly, if I still had my auto I'd probably do a 4.5 gear swap (at *least*) - if you don't care about MPG that much that's probably the best mod you can do to an auto. I hated the tall gearing on 4th-6th but that just might be me
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonolin For This Useful Post:
dokterdewe (09-15-2013), vintagemxer (03-11-2021)
Old 09-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Nightbringer

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but as far as I know, no one has unlocked the TCU yet for actual transmission tuning. I expect great things to take place once they have control of shift firmness, converter lockup, etc. As of right now though, there's nothing available.
Nightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nightbringer For This Useful Post:
Obja (09-15-2013), whataboutbob (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Tansey86

Drives: 2003 Subaru Outback
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tuning options for the automatic are pretty much identical to the manual. The only thing that will limit your aftermarket are certain parts that are offered for the 6 speed and not the automatic yet, i.e. turbo kits.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbringer View Post
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but as far as I know, no one has unlocked the TCU yet for actual transmission tuning. I expect great things to take place once they have control of shift firmness, converter lockup, etc. As of right now though, there's nothing available.
And Ecutek has no plans to do so. Maybe brzedit and the open flash tablet dudes can do something.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
mechaghost

Drives: Silver AT Limited
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
What kind of improvements can we expect if the TCU was unlocked for tuning? I'm pretty happy with the AT functionality already
mechaghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Nightbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
And Ecutek has no plans to do so. Maybe brzedit and the open flash tablet dudes can do something.
They specifically said they don't plan to? That's extremely unfortunate. :\

And to everyone else posting about mods, I don't think he's talking about performance upgrades (turbos, exhaust, etc), I believe he means specifically tuning the transmission.

I'm extremely happy with the AT's functionality as-is too, but in all my previous automatics (even the quick ones), modifying the TCU tables made notable improvements. Can bump up the shift firmness in sport mode, control how the converter engages, gear-by-gear shift points, etc, etc.

I personally have an issue with third gear slipping (I drop ~200 RPM before it snaps back to where it should be on upshift or downshift into third at part throttle), so I've been waiting for this to see if it's an electronic engagement issue or something mechanical as two dealership's have given me the "operating as intended" line.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Tansey86

Drives: 2003 Subaru Outback
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

And to everyone else posting about mods, I don't think he's talking about performance upgrades (turbos, exhaust, etc), I believe he means specifically tuning the transmission.

I'm extremely happy with the AT's functionality as-is too, but in all my previous automatics (even the quick ones), modifying the TCU tables made notable improvements. Can bump up the shift firmness in sport mode, control how the converter engages, gear-by-gear shift points, etc, etc.

I personally have an issue with third gear slipping (I drop ~200 RPM before it snaps back to where it should be on upshift or downshift into third at part throttle), so I've been waiting for this to see if it's an electronic engagement issue or something mechanical as two dealership's have given me the "operating as intended" line.
People are working on making the AT as quick and responsive as possible, both in stock car form and with forced induction. Give it time and they will be able to change whatever they want. I've been told this transmission is a tricky one to work with.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Nightbringer

Yeah here's hoping. I was just shocked/dismayed at the "EcuTEK isn't pursuing this" post. If that's the case I've spent my money with the wrong tuning company. :\
Old 09-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
meadowz06
THE CORVETTE KING!

Drives: 2013 FR-S, and 2016 FR-S!
Thanks for all the replies. I will just go ahead and get it dyno tuned next week at my speed shop.
Steve
meadowz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
wlfpck

Drives: 2015 GTI
Quote:
Shift firmness is not necessarily just due to the TCU. Firmness of shifts and such can be done by upgrading the Valve body of the auto trans. Part of the upgrade is solenoid upgrades. Torque converters themselves are upgradeable as well. In addition, if slippage occurs, new clutch packs with different material (Raybestos sells many different clutch packs of different materials) can be installed as well.

For shift points... just move it to manual mode and control the shift points yourself.

Building an auto trans: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18868
Old 09-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
This is what they said after asking a few questions about the auto.

Also whats the plans for more features for the GT86 Automatic? Any kind of launch options? Transmission options? Currently the auto dis-engages at 7500 Rpms it would be nice if the software could dip into the transmission stuff a bit. - Thanks again Jeremy

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the feedback and we value your input.
Other customers have also asked for access to certain features in this way and we are bearing this in mind with future developments.
We need to do some work with the 86 Auto so the LC works correctly , at this time we are waiting to get access to a vehicle so we can improve the operation to get the desired result.
We have no plans to access the 86 TCM though

Thanks
Mervyn

Quote:

Old 09-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
jisfos

Drives: frs
Man, I was hoping someone would do a tranny ecu upgrade... Untapped market here guys!
jisfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #14
Nightbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
Shift firmness is not necessarily just due to the TCU. Firmness of shifts and such can be done by upgrading the Valve body of the auto trans. Part of the upgrade is solenoid upgrades. Torque converters themselves are upgradeable as well. In addition, if slippage occurs, new clutch packs with different material (Raybestos sells many different clutch packs of different materials) can be installed as well.

For shift points... just move it to manual mode and control the shift points yourself.

Building an auto trans: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18868
Appreciate the information, I was more speaking towards non-invasive improvements. There's definitely huge potential with a built transmission as with any car, but for most of us that will be considerably farther down the road. I was just really looking forward to it being included in the retune.

Anyone that's tuned a transmission controller on a standard converter automatic can attest to the improvements that can be made. F-bodies and mustangs are the ones I have experience with, and it's a notable enhancement. Even DSG/DCT transmissions can be improved upon software-only.

As far as the shift points thing, yes we can shift manually but if you've logged the shift times, it's slower in manual mode then in automatic. It's not a massive difference, but a difference none-the-less when it can anticipate. Peak shifting isn't always ideal anyways due to gear spacing. Running first further past peak power to 8 puts you more optimally into the powerband in second, whereas second and third can be 7500, etc.

Would just be added benefit if they could unlock it, but apparently the AT market isn't sufficient for them to invest the R&D required.