follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #29
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Khan View Post
There must have been some improvement on the 86 860, either that or I am deaf as a bat. I plugged the sound tube and find the cruising noise perfectly acceptable. I admit not a BMW 5 series but very few cars are.
The 860 has the underbody panels that was mentioned earlier. I am seriously considering adding the ones sold here for my base model 2017 86:

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/jdm-...l#.WjPcyEFOnYV

In the last week alone I've read a handful of people all commenting how it reduced highway noise considerably. Reduced drag is a bonus!

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #30
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Are these underbody panels for the rear half of the car? I thought the car, specifically the front, already had underbody panels.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:08 AM   #31
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
The sound tube ain't where most of the noise is coming from-- just sayin
Depends on the twin. Some of us have the underbody panels and in the case of my car, the sound tube drone at highway speeds was irritating. I have a full exhaust now so I wouldn't even hear the sound tube (and I avoid highways because of the exhaust drone...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
When I gutted the rear of the interior of my car, it got loud in the cabin. Wind and road noise got bad. Oh well. I can road trip in my car still because once I shove suitcases and whatnot in the back, it won't be noisy anymore. With the backseats intact, I took 2 1,000 mile trips and the FRS is actually comfprtable and makes a nice road tripping car (I wish it had a moonroof though).

Pay no attention to car journalists. Consumer Reports is the only non-biased source for reviews, everyone else prints what the advertisers tell them to print. I was reading a glowing review for some FCA POS in MotorTrend a couple weeks ago and the next page after the "article" was a full page ad for Dodge. Do you think they are really going to bite the hand that feeds them and post a truthful review of another brand in the same company? There's lots of ways these journalists get paid off too. If there are those who post the truth, they simply don't get models to review, they don't receive complimentary 1st class tickets to Germany to drive the car on the Ring and so on. Those who play the game and post BS get the money and treatment, those who post the truth have to struggle to get by.
Yep, lots of open metal in the truck that will transmit sound. Not to mention if you have an exhaust. Heck with moonroofs, I want my targa back!

Also, keep in mind Consumer Reports isn't all it's cracked up to be either... Nobody is truly unbiased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
The 860 has the underbody panels that was mentioned earlier. I am seriously considering adding the ones sold here for my base model 2017 86:

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/jdm-...l#.WjPcyEFOnYV

In the last week alone I've read a handful of people all commenting how it reduced highway noise considerably. Reduced drag is a bonus!

Myriad
Quite expensive, but I thought they started adding these to the newer models instead of only the special editions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Are these underbody panels for the rear half of the car? I thought the car, specifically the front, already had underbody panels.
Front has them, yes. These continue from there and go back further.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #32
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
Quite expensive, but I thought they started adding these to the newer models instead of only the special editions?
If I'm not mistaken, for the US the base model 86 is the only one lacking the underbody plates (along with the new spoiler). The 860 has them and both of the BRZ trims have them. You can add the plates easily enough, though. The spoiler, not so much. I was hoping the rumored higher trim in 2018 would have the new spoiler so I could add it to my hot lava 2017, but they discontinued my color so there will never be a new hot lava spoiler now. I could get the old FRS style one, but I don't think I care for it. A naked trunk it is, then.

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:18 AM   #33
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If you don't like the noise, get a Perrin inlet tube and delete the noise generator. Cleans up the engine bay and adds lightness. Problem solved, until you get unshielded headers and a tune.

I also got the underbody panels, and they significantly improved road noise/clean up air flow.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote