follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 11-28-2016, 04:41 PM   #1891
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Edelbrock E-force Owner's thread and FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgogeta View Post
What guages do you guys recommend for this kit?

I would also recommend the P3 vidi multi gauge.

I just installed mine in under 10 mins, and it looks like it was an original Subaru/Toyota display. I use it to monitor oil temp, and it works perfectly.

Phone/tablet options are great, but it is a risk. I personally don't like anything that could go flying if I was in an accident. I've been hit by a phone in an accident and it was not enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #1892
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
I would also recommend the P3 vidi multi gauge.

I just installed mine in under 10 mins, and it looks like it was an original Subaru/Toyota display. I use it to monitor oil temp, and it works perfectly.

Phone/tablet options are great, but it is a risk. I personally don't like anything that could go flying if I was in an accident. I've been hit by a phone in an accident and it was not enjoyable.

The P3 is worth it for coolant temp alone! I've been doing some double checking vs the factory 'estimate' gauge since I installed my P3 and it's crazy how far of a swing the temp can be without the factory gauge moving.

With the needle just barely touching the bottom of the temp symbol (where it sits pretty much all day since installing the Perring OC) I've seen digital readings of anywhere from 180o to 197o! Not something I like to think about since pre-OC on one or two hot track sessions I saw the needle above the temp symbol!
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #1893
Nitro22

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post

I did look into monitoring oil pressure and boost at one point and was leaning towards the defi gauges and cravenspeed flexpod for a nice clean look.

I have defi gauges (oil temp & pressure) mounted on the cravenspeed flexpod.

The rest I can monitor using a bluetooth OBD dongle with the OBD Fusion app on my phone.

Last edited by Nitro22; 11-29-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Nitro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #1894
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post
I suggest you get an OBDII reader with bluetooth, that way you can use your phone, and you can place it on one of those belkin style mounts on the left air vent. I get my engine oil temp, IAM temp, coolant temp, and air volume intake.

It's much better than having any additional gauges on dashboard or A pillar.

First, if you put gagues on A pilar, you will die if you crash as there is an airbag that will shoot the gauges onto your face.

And if you get pulled over, cops can see your gauges wherever you put them in your dash, and plus you have to mod your dash, by either removing air vents, making holes on the dash, and needless mods like that.

There's absolutely no need for actual physical gauges. I mentioned cops, because at least in California if they see u got those gauges it is enough for them to claim reasonable suspicion and force u to open the hood, and then ur done for modifying your car, if ur stuff is not CARB certified.

Any way you know possible I can use my pioneer deck (got car play and android auto) to monitor these. Would be pretty sweet if I could somehow.
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #1895
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just ordered my Edelbrock kit! I'm way too excited for this

2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (11-29-2016), menikmati (11-29-2016), Silverfox (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #1896
VeganGirl

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post
I suggest you get an OBDII reader with bluetooth, that way you can use your phone, and you can place it on one of those belkin style mounts on the left air vent. I get my engine oil temp, IAM temp, coolant temp, and air volume intake.

It's much better than having any additional gauges on dashboard or A pillar.

First, if you put gagues on A pilar, you will die if you crash as there is an airbag that will shoot the gauges onto your face.

And if you get pulled over, cops can see your gauges wherever you put them in your dash, and plus you have to mod your dash, by either removing air vents, making holes on the dash, and needless mods like that.

There's absolutely no need for actual physical gauges. I mentioned cops, because at least in California if they see u got those gauges it is enough for them to claim reasonable suspicion and force u to open the hood, and then ur done for modifying your car, if ur stuff is not CARB certified.

What is everything required to have this Bluetooth gauges? Do I have to install anything in the oil tank to take the temperature and send it to my phone?
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #1897
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post
What is everything required to have this Bluetooth gauges? Do I have to install anything in the oil tank to take the temperature and send it to my phone?
No, our cars already have an oil temp sensor. The cheapest way would be to buy an OBD-II Bluetooth adapter (I have the ELM-327) and an Android device with the Torque app installed.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:07 PM   #1898
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
The Scan Gauge which plugs into your OBD11 port will read everything except oil pressure. I have mine set to read engine oil temp. inlet air temp, engine water temp, and transmission temp. This picture was tank just after a cold start up.
Attached Images

Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #1899
VeganGirl

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
No, our cars already have an oil temp sensor. The cheapest way would be to buy an OBD-II Bluetooth adapter (I have the ELM-327) and an Android device with the Torque app installed.
Is there one that works with Apple? I'm a sheep
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #1900
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Besides the scan gauge I made my own gauge cluster in place of the radio. (never listened to it anyway)
Attached Images

Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunatic For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (11-29-2016), Dadhawk (11-29-2016), paiceyfan (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #1901
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
Besides the scan gauge I made my own gauge cluster in place of the radio. (never listened to it anyway)
Is it wrong to get turned on by this?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
CSG Mike (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #1902
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I've thought of doing this BECAUSE RACECAR but I still need my Spotify or podcasts for those extra trafficy commute days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Just ordered my Edelbrock kit! I'm way too excited for this

Welcome to the club buddy!
Quote:
Is there one that works with Apple? I'm a sheep
I believe my brother used DashCommand on IOS a while back, but that was a few years ago and there might be better options out there. Another option is to buy a cheap old Android phone and just use it as a gauge, which is what I'm doing (using my old galaxy S5)
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #1903
GT86Asia

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Hi,

Depending on the type of phone u have, iphone or android, you will need to find a bluetooth OBDII which is either compatible with both operating systems (The more expensive ones $100+ usd) or one specific for android or apple. Usually the apple specific are more expensive than the ones for android because of the licensee fee that the OBD manufacturer has to pay to apple, unlike android which is free and doesn't need a license.

Anyway, you also have to carefully check what the manufacturer of that OBD says it can read. Some OBD are very simple, and to some of us useless, while some other OBD have better code and can read more things. Remember there is nothing mechanical about OBD, it's all 100% software. So if the OBD doesn't have the code to read a certain sensor, then you will not be able to read it.

I made a lot of reasearch, yet I was not able to find a bluetooth OBD for apple phone which included the engine oil pressure......I'm pissed off about it, cuz the damn thing cost me 80 bucks. The manufacturer said that it was because they have to license the code for each individual sensor from apple......and that maybe in the future they will license that sensor....So I guide myself with oil temp, which is inversely coorelated with oil pressure.

So these are just some pitfalls to keep in mind, as not every $12 buck OBD is created equal.

Cheers
GT86Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #1904
X Factor

Drives: 2013 Red BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Anybody running this SC with an ACE Header?
X Factor is offline   Reply With Quote