follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #1093
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@GreenPants, @Trap63, @Ghostmerlott, @ph0en1xtk, @pheoxs or any others using one of these units - not sure if you're still suing Sygic navigation but if you are I have two questions I'd appreciate help with.

1. How do you update the maps? Do you just connect to the internet and it does its thing or is there a download latest maps feature I can't find? I'm even happy to pay for an update service if required.

2. Might be related to "1" above but under the "my sygic" part there's an option to "activate product" and it requests a registration key. Where do I get or buy a registration key from. And, is there any benefit such as up to date maps in registering?

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #1094
nzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jx86 View Post
Are they any functions of the T7019A that do not work with just the three harnesses out of the box? I'm reading all these things about antenna booster and whatnot and I'm beginning to worry FM radio and even the door speakers won't work without some modifications. I'm also curious to know if the head unit can connect to ELM327 and my phone at the same time. Can anybody shed light on this?

I just got mine with plans to run torque app (quick thanks to OP and everybody involved in the development) and also to have a reverse camera. +all the other benefits of Android.
I just plugged and played mine and everything just works.

You need an antenna adapter rather than a booster. the unit has a round hole for a standard aerial plug. Toyota in their "wisdom" has a different plug so you need an adapted - about US$8. It has a power wire that you need to wire in to a power source. There's been lots of posts on this in this thread somewhere.

Not sure about ELM327 and phone at the same time as I use the HKS OB-Link but someone else should know.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #1095
jx86

Drives: -
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@nzer,

Understood. Now just waiting on adaptor to come quickly!! On the main harness there are 3 plugs but only two fit the car, was that the case with yours as well? The two that go in allow pretty much everything to work, but just wanted to check
jx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #1096
nzer

Quote:
@nzer,

Understood. Now just waiting on adaptor to come quickly!! On the main harness there are 3 plugs but only two fit the car, was that the case with yours as well? The two that go in allow pretty much everything to work, but just wanted to check
Yep @jx86, one plug is not used at all. I think it may be for steering wheel controls or similar.

Two plugs that go in the back of it also have all the RCA plugs etc for amplifier etc. Most of this stuff isn't used as well unless you connect a reversing camera and ipod connector.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #1097
jx86

@nzer

Thank you so much for the confirmation. I must say I'm very happy with the unit so far. Chalk and cheese compared to the stock unit
Old 09-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #1098
pheoxs
Hold my beer n watch this

Drives: '14 Fiesta ST / '91 240sx
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I gave up on mine. Bluetooth is hopeless.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #1099
jx86

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
I gave up on mine. Bluetooth is hopeless.
What do you mean?

Sent from my GT-N7102 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #1100
GreenPants

Drives: Burnt Orange GT86
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post
1. How do you update the maps? Do you just connect to the internet and it does its thing or is there a download latest maps feature I can't find? I'm even happy to pay for an update service if required.

2. Might be related to "1" above but under the "my sygic" part there's an option to "activate product" and it requests a registration key. Where do I get or buy a registration key from. And, is there any benefit such as up to date maps in registering?

Thanks for any help.
1) AFAIK, The that's the job of the second link in the start menu - the Sygic map updater. When you reinstall Sygic after rooting, then you also do this to install you're country's map initially. I do not know if map updates are tied to the version of Sygic you are running (they may well be, new maps might be in a format that the older apps don't understand. Sygic may simply stop updating maps for 'legacy' versions out in the field). I tried doing a map update for NZ, in the hope that the new Southern Bypass extensions in chch would be added, but no dice.

2) I'm not entirely convinced how above-board the installed Sygic is, nor do I know if/what benefits can be had for registering. It is possible that map updates are only available for fully registered units, and that unregistered units have to stick with a 'base' map.
GreenPants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenPants For This Useful Post:
nzer (09-27-2013)
Old 09-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #1101
nzer

Quote:
What do you mean?

Sent from my GT-N7102 using Tapatalk 2
Bluetooth for music streaming from my iPhone is awful, I know that. I use USB with music or iPod cable.

I have found Bluetooth for phone ok though. Not brilliant but adequate. I however hardly ever take calls in my car.
@Trap63 wired a separate Bluetooth mic and that I'm sure would improve it but I haven't bothered. @pheoxs might explain more what their issues were.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #1102
pheoxs

Bluetooth worked fine for the phone, the stock mic sucks.

I meant I can't get an external bluetooth to work to run Torque which is the only reason I bought this stupid thing.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #1103
nzer

Quote:

I meant I can't get an external bluetooth to work to run Torque which is the only reason I bought this stupid thing.
Have you tried some different Bluetooth dongles and a different ELM327?

Be great if we can work this out and get it working for you. I can even test some on my unit and then send to you once I know they work with my unit
Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #1104
nzer

Quote:

Be great if we can work this out and get it working for you. I can even test some on my unit and then send to you once I know they work with my unit
Old 09-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #1105
mrlizard

Drives: BT50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yay mine has turned up. But it will have to wait till next week at some stage because I'm busy all weekend

Fingers crossed when I start playing
mrlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #1106
pheoxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzer View Post

Thanks but I tried the one you sent me and every rom I can find I think mine has a hardware defect. My rear USB doesn't work at all. Front works for wifi only