follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #141
track_warrior
Track Junkie

Drives: Faster than the Stig!
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wtf are u talking about? I have been NA since day one. Dont try to miss inform people. I thought about going FI but never went. Now i know that the garbage engine in our cars is delicate i will never run FI as a matter of fact im thinking about selling all together. I had a tune and it ran a bit richer than stock since stock the car is pretty lean.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #142
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I think you should sell your car too. It'll give you a reason to continue spreading FUD.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft_sjo For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 AM   #143
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
So if I bought brz edit could I purchase a tune from you some how?
If you purchase the personal version you won't need to buy a tune, you can update the table yourself.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #144
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
FRS Direct Injector Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
Wtf are u talking about? I have been NA since day one. Dont try to miss inform people. I thought about going FI but never went. Now i know that the garbage engine in our cars is delicate i will never run FI as a matter of fact im thinking about selling all together. I had a tune and it ran a bit richer than stock since stock the car is pretty lean.
Apologies. I was a little fuzzy on the details, since it's been ~4 months since I read the thread where you described how you destroyed your motor. This is "Wtf" I'm talking about:
http://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/24...nk-i-broke-it/
Here's how it looks to me: You find a tuner and pay him to d*ck up your car so it runs lean/hot. A tuner that you are aware "tuned" another TJ members NC Miata that subsequently blew up. You take your car to the track, where it becomes apparent that your having major engine problems, so you take it out for another session, where the problem gets worse. What do you do then? Take it out for a third session to make sure it's completely destroyed. Next, you post online that you've "broken it", and your "tuner" re-flashes it back to stock, so you can mislead Toyota into replacing your engine. You take in your fully track prepped car-cage, stripped interior, track wing and all, and Toyota generously replaces your motor. When the dealer warns you that they're only giving you one motor, instead of being grateful for the replacement you got after YOU destroyed your engine, you slam Toyota online, acting as if you had nothing to do with the damage. Your silly admonitions to Toyota about the FRS are comical. What sucks is that we Toyota customers ultimately all share the cost of the companies' generosity in case like yours. Your dishonesty may well cost Toyota and Subaru sales, judging by some of the comments here. No doubt your dishonesty has many here agitated and enjoying their cars less than they should be. A man owns up to his mistakes. I think you owe this whole community an apology, not to mention Toyota, who has gone far above and beyond what's justifiable since you voided your own warranty, then destroyed your motor like an idiot.
BTW, who is "miss inform".
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to phm14 For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (06-17-2013), King Tut (06-13-2013), radroach (06-12-2013), spitz (06-12-2013), strat61caster (06-12-2013), Tujin (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #145
topazsparrow

Drives: slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phm14 View Post
Apologies. I was a little fuzzy on the details, since it's been ~4 months since I read the thread where you described how you destroyed your motor. This is "Wtf" I'm talking about:
Here's how it looks to me: You find a tuner and pay him to d*ck up your car so it runs lean/hot. A tuner that you are aware "tuned" another TJ members NC Miata that subsequently blew up. You take your car to the track, where it becomes apparent that your having major engine problems, so you take it out for another session, where the problem gets worse. What do you do then? Take it out for a third session to make sure it's completely destroyed. Next, you post online that you've "broken it", and your "tuner" re-flashes it back to stock, so you can mislead Toyota into replacing your engine. You take in your fully track prepped car-cage, stripped interior, track wing and all, and Toyota generously replaces your motor. When the dealer warns you that they're only giving you one motor, instead of being grateful for the replacement you got after YOU destroyed your engine, you slam Toyota online, acting as if you had nothing to do with the damage. Your silly admonitions to Toyota about the FRS are comical. What sucks is that we Toyota customers ultimately all share the cost of the companies' generosity in case like yours. Your dishonesty may well cost Toyota and Subaru sales, judging by some of the comments here. No doubt your dishonesty has many here agitated and enjoying their cars less than they should be. A man owns up to his mistakes. I think you owe this whole community an apology, not to mention Toyota, who has gone far above and beyond what's justifiable since you voided your own warranty, then destroyed your motor like an idiot.

Well that escalated quickly...

Unfortunately this sounds more like a rant than a rational, well thought out counter-argument. Attacking someone's grammar on an online forum when you can clearly decipher it's intended meaning is also not helping your cause.
topazsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topazsparrow For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #146
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'm curious what your view of our car is...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #147
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by topazsparrow View Post
Well that escalated quickly...

Unfortunately this sounds more like a rant than a rational, well thought out counter-argument. Attacking someone's grammar on an online forum when you can clearly decipher it's intended meaning is also not helping your cause.
I out this guy for for not telling the truth, and your criticizing me? My only "cause" is to get the truth out here. This is the kind of noise that discredits a forum.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #148
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I'm curious what your view of our car is...
You stated that you were not running a am tune, correct? Some of the cars with this issue were running am tunes. All I know is what I've read, and I take all of it with a grain of salt, since I don't have 1st hand knowledge of what's been done to any of these cars.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #149
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
You stated that you were not running a am tune, correct? Some of the cars with this issue were running am tunes. All I know is what I've read, and I take all of it with a grain of salt, since I don't have 1st hand knowledge of what's been done to any of these cars.
Correct. Our powertrain was never altered save for an axleback.

The manufacturer can tell if an ECU was ever flashed/altered... and I'm sure they've already look in our case, as Subaru seems to have looked for ways to invalidate our warranty.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #150
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Correct. Our powertrain was never altered save for an axleback.

The manufacturer can tell if an ECU was ever flashed/altered... and I'm sure they've already look in our case, as Subaru seems to have looked for ways to invalidate our warranty.
About Jalopnik
Tip Us:

Email: tips@jalopnik.com Phone: 347-746-3607

http://jalopnik.com/about-jalopnik-90722046
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #151
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
For reference, here is track_warriors thread regarding his issues on this forum, it goes more in depth than the one phm14 linked.

You can read for yourself, everything phm14 said is a bit editorialized but there weren't any blatant lies in his post.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29729
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #152
topazsparrow

Drives: slow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
About Jalopnik
Tip Us:

Email: tips@jalopnik.com Phone: 347-746-3607

http://jalopnik.com/about-jalopnik-90722046

I don't think this is the best course of action unless productive negotiations fall through.

Generating bad press over this issue isn't going to help anyone at this point in time. Hopefully with productive discussions, subaru / toyota will come to their senses about this potentially serious issue.
topazsparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #153
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
track_warrior's case should be excluded from the statistical data. No way would I say with 100% certainty that it was caused by a manufacturing defect.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #154
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
IMO:
tune or not, this issues has happened with people in different location, some may have been running custom tunes and others not, but even cars with the tunes were definitely not from the same tuner tho. one can't assume all the tuners are knuckleheads, which would lead me to believe that it's toyota/subaru production/development related. besides, looking at all the research and posts done by various people on this site it does look like there is a factory tune problem. so why would any cars be excluded from 'statistical data'?

i could agree that the tunes may have contributed to faster problem development, but unless someone can prove it don't just throw out "it's a tune". i do think, just as @track_warrior, that more and more cars will have blown injectors/engines as people who don't track their cars but push them hard on the street get to about the same 'WOT time + shifting at redline' on the engine as guys who track their cars.

should i be grateful to subu/toyo that they overlooked this issue, or many other annoying things, and apologize and thank them when I bring my car to the dealer to fix something? i think not. would i recommend this car as it is to anyone? nope. am i considering selling it once the warranty runs out? i do.

so why is writing concerns and thoughts here on forum considered 'purposely making a bad publicity'? any product either sells itself, or it buries itself because people share their reviews and opinions, bad or good. i for one, do want to hear both.

just my 2 cents
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vgi For This Useful Post:
Carwhisperer (06-12-2013)