follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northwest

Northwest AK, ID, OR, WA

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2015, 03:40 AM   #43
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
Heli coil time! I know exactly which bolts you are speaking of too, it scared me how tight the factory torque was on Matt's car.
No idea what Heli coil is. Whatever it is, if it helps me I'll take one. Yes they were on so tight I thought I'd burst a vain.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:46 AM   #44
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
No idea what Heli coil is. Whatever it is, if it helps me I'll take one. Yes they were on so tight I thought I'd burst a vain.
A Heli coil is a thread insert

It's the proper way to repair exactly what's happened here, as a bonus it'll be stronger than the non Heli coiled threads.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:56 AM   #45
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Quote:
A Heli coil is a thread insert

It's the proper way to repair exactly what's happened here, as a bonus it'll be stronger than the non Heli coiled threads.
Looks cool. Where do I get one or can you get one for me?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:07 AM   #46
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Quote:
Looks cool. Where do I get one or can you get one for me?
Amazon, can't remember if they were 8's or 10's, find out and order the proper size and thread pitch. The following is an example (and my best blind guess as to the right thread)
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-8-Metric-Coarse-Thread/dp/B0002SREP4"]Amazon.com: Helicoil 5546-8 M8 x 1.25 Metric Coarse Thread Repair Kit: Automotive[/ame]
Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 PM   #47
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Man it's good that you want to fix your own car but for the love of God stop driving it until you figure it out. When you said it was running normal again and "maybe it just needed a full tank of gas" I just about spit my milk all over my monitor. That many engine codes = problem that doesn't just fix itself.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #48
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

I'd recommend taking it in to a shop, installing heli coils will involve drilling into your block and re tapping the fuel rail hole. It's not that difficult, but not something I'd suggest doing unless you have 100% confidence.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #49
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Called the Subaru dealer this morning. They said they had the part (o-ring washer for the port injector). Rode my bike there, the guy at the counter said they didn't. Best he could do is order it and have it tomorrow and give it to me 40% off so $4 ish instead of 8. Rode my bike to Toyota on the way home and they didn't have it either. Even if I do get the injector back on with the new o-ring seal, my bolt hole in the supercharger manifold is also stripped so I may be screwed as I'm not sure it will hold down tight. I also don't know if the injector seal was the issue or not.

After I get the injector in and either with the helicoil or without if it will hold enough, which shop should I take it to? I've only been to PRE and they aren't my favorite, plus on the opposite side of town.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #50
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Called the Subaru dealer this morning. They said they had the part (o-ring washer for the port injector). Rode my bike there, the guy at the counter said they didn't. Best he could do is order it and have it tomorrow and give it to me 40% off so $4 ish instead of 8. Rode my bike to Toyota on the way home and they didn't have it either. Even if I do get the injector back on with the new o-ring seal, my bolt hole in the supercharger manifold is also stripped so I may be screwed as I'm not sure it will hold down tight. I also don't know if the injector seal was the issue or not.

After I get the injector in and either with the helicoil or without if it will hold enough, which shop should I take it to? I've only been to PRE and they aren't my favorite, plus on the opposite side of town.
Don't try to run it until the rail mount is repaired. Unless you saw a greasy mess where you pulled the injector, I'm pretty sure the o-ring was damaged during disassembly.

No offense, but I don't think you're ready to do a helicoil job yourself. Also, this is a lesson in following factory torque values. Unfortunately, both you and Matt are victims of ham-fisted mechanics that installed your blowers.

Maybe Doug knows someone he trusts? I don't. I have the correct helicoils but I'm across town, at work, and still have my wife's car on jackstands....
Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #51
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Quote:

So does this mean you have two stripped bolt holes now? The fuel rail bolts do not thread into the manifold, they thread into the engine block.

Don't drive until fixed unless you're willing to risk a fire. I'd trust AR Auto to do the heli-coil, they are a full service shop and will have experience with them. I believe @Jonsey86 has 4 spare injector o-rings right now, you might be able to work something out with him.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #52
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Don't try to run it until the rail mount is repaired. Unless you saw a greasy mess where you pulled the injector, I'm pretty sure the o-ring was damaged during disassembly.

No offense, but I don't think you're ready to do a helicoil job yourself. Also, this is a lesson in following factory torque values. Unfortunately, both you and Matt are victims of ham-fisted mechanics that installed your blowers.

Maybe Doug knows someone he trusts? I don't. I have the correct helicoils but I'm across town, at work, and still have my wife's car on jackstands....
I have impeccable timing then don't I.
Especially since the big meet is Sunday. Running out of time!
Old 07-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #53
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
Quote:
So does this mean you have two stripped bolt holes now? The fuel rail bolts do not thread into the manifold, they thread into the engine block.

Don't drive until fixed unless you're willing to risk a fire. I'd trust AR Auto to do the heli-coil, they are a full service shop and will have experience with them. I believe @Jonsey86 has 4 spare injector o-rings right now, you might be able to work something out with him.
Just one bolt hole still. The fuel rail mounts to the supercharger manifold, not the engine block. Driver's side.

I'll call AR auto service to see what they say.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #54
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Quote:
Just one bolt hole still. The fuel rail mounts to the supercharger manifold, not the engine block. Driver's side.

I'll call AR auto service to see what they say.
Ah so it does, I was mistaken.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:41 PM   #55
stockysnail
Just the tip

Garage
AR auto said they are booked all week and would be able to look at it until next week. That means I'd miss the big event Sunday. Anyone else I could take it to? I may need to use @Ultramaroon or try the Helicoil myself along with the new o-ring I'm getting from the dealer tomorrow, then see if it will give me engine codes again or if it's good. I don't want to miss the event but also don't want to f-up my car more.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:11 PM   #56
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

To be fair, any shop should be able to do heli-coils pretty easily they're a standard tool in the mechanic's bag-o-tricks. I've never heard a dissatisfied customer from VIP performance, I know quite a few people who have them work on their (non-twin) cars and this job does not require model specific knowledge.