follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #43
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
4 door Mustang? Ford Falcon.
Mustang was actually a restyled Falcon. When Falcon failed in term of sale, they rebodied it....
Three of my first 5 cars were Falcons. I had Falcon 2 door, a four door "Futura" and a Falcon Wagon 5 door. All bought for under $500, and sold for more than I paid for them (not saying much I realize).

My favorite was the Falcon wagon, It was Carolina/Baby Blue and had a Chevy small block dropped in it. It was a stealth pony car.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #44
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan View Post
Made me shiver...lol. I know the car was a hybrid, and the whole side of the car is one huge gullwing door, but I never heard anything about an electric mustang...might as well just make it 4 doors while you're totally bastardizing the Mustang name.
Well I'm loosely basing that info from a machine and production magazine that's somewhere in my offince. I know they are considering a 4cylinder but I'm going to say I'm probably wrong on the electric side for a mustang. But hey you never know Ford might do that.

Anyone else here hear a brief story or survey a few months back that kids these days would rather have a cell phone or electronics in general over a car?
I know I'm not that old but damn times are changing if that's what kids really desire.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #45
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
And I don't mind the style all that much from the concept but I prefer the retro styling over this. I still wish Ford would cut more fat off the current model which I like cause they did slim it down a bit, but not that much.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #46
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
...Anyone else here hear a brief story or survey a few months back that kids these days would rather have a cell phone or electronics in general over a car?
I know I'm not that old but damn times are changing if that's what kids really desire.
It is true to some extent, there is just too much other "stuff" to interest them in my experience (I have 3 sons). The oldest has an interest in cars, but only from the "looks" standpoint. The middle son doesn't have an interest in much of anything that isn't music related (he's a musician to his core). The youngest is showing a little of the "old school" interest in cars so I'm trying to nurture that.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #47
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
I want the Australian Ford FPV GT or F6 if I wanted a 4 door muscle car
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #48
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-17 View Post
Well I'm loosely basing that info from a machine and production magazine that's somewhere in my offince. I know they are considering a 4cylinder but I'm going to say I'm probably wrong on the electric side for a mustang. But hey you never know Ford might do that.

Anyone else here hear a brief story or survey a few months back that kids these days would rather have a cell phone or electronics in general over a car?
I doubt Ford would use a hybrid in the Mustang, a turbo was mentioned at some point but no idea which one. They kept that detail under wraps.

I remember seeing that article too. It had to do with the Chevy 130R and 140S concept cars where they mentioned that in regards to 14-20 yr olds preferred mobile electronics like cell phones and laptops to cars.

Which I can appreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #49
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
I doubt Ford would use a hybrid in the Mustang, a turbo was mentioned at some point but no idea which one. They kept that detail under wraps.

I remember seeing that article too. It had to do with the Chevy 130R and 140S concept cars where they mentioned that in regards to 14-20 yr olds preferred mobile electronics like cell phones and laptops to cars.

Which I can appreciate.
Its nice being in a machine business that I get sent some magazine I never hear of before that have some great insight on cars as well. And I think you're right that maybe if its the same mag or article that mentioned a turbo in the future than a hybrid.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #50
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
a turbo was mentioned at some point but no idea which one. They kept that detail under wraps.
I thought it was the same 4 cylinder turbo they are thinking about using in the next Focus RS. Plan to use that as the base engine in the next Mustang.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #51
AX_FRS

Drives: 05 Ford Focus ZX4
I remember seeing stuff about a possible 4 cylinder "ecoboost" mustang. I don't remember where (maybe motortrend?). I wouldn't mind some of the smoother, more kinetic design in the mustang as long as they can still make it look like a muscle car (which I kind of view as more buldgy and harsh design, but there is a lot more to it.) The front and rear ends are where a lot of people are going to look for that herritage look (since we tend to either see the front or rear of the car most on roads) so those may hold a lot of the same design and then try to make it work with some new overall body designs. Thing I'm sure they will keep is the 3 verticle bar tail lights. I think I read in that same article that they probably won't go to IRS because what they have is still working great (I'm not saying that, it's just what I remember reading).
AX_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #52
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I thought it was the same 4 cylinder turbo they are thinking about using in the next Focus RS. Plan to use that as the base engine in the next Mustang.
I haven't heard that. I remember watching the only 4 banger rumors back in 2010/2011 that were just rumors, is this something recent? There was a Coyote ecoboost prototype at some point so I thought that was also an option they were at least considering besides the 3.5/7L turbo. Ford has been selling the Ecoboost as a premium option in the US so I've been discounting any ideas of a base turbo engine. I don't want to get my hopes up of a new SVO either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX_FRS View Post
I remember seeing stuff about a possible 4 cylinder "ecoboost" mustang. I don't remember where (maybe motortrend?). I wouldn't mind some of the smoother, more kinetic design in the mustang as long as they can still make it look like a muscle car (which I kind of view as more buldgy and harsh design, but there is a lot more to it.) The front and rear ends are where a lot of people are going to look for that herritage look (since we tend to either see the front or rear of the car most on roads) so those may hold a lot of the same design and then try to make it work with some new overall body designs. Thing I'm sure they will keep is the 3 verticle bar tail lights. I think I read in that same article that they probably won't go to IRS because what they have is still working great (I'm not saying that, it's just what I remember reading).
We won't know till they start settling on the MY 2015 Redesign.

The SRA is going away, heck the Camaro had a torque tube in the 80's and they handled better than the Mustang of the day despite weighing several hundred pounds more. Same thing happened with the new Camaro and the 2011, it's close but the Camaro keeps up and is much more comfortable. The GT has always been a bit stiff to compensate for the SRA.

I've already seen some pics for the new Mustang IRS and it's supposed to be lighter and much better than the current SRA setup. It got me a wee bit excited when I saw it.

Plus there's the new fastback rumors.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #53
Allch Chcar

Here is the IRS designed for the S197(2005+) but canceled last minute.
All about the missing S197 Mustang IRS.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Allch Chcar For This Useful Post:
AX_FRS (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM   #54
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
I haven't heard that. I remember watching the only 4 banger rumors back in 2010/2011 that were just rumors, is this something recent? There was a Coyote ecoboost prototype at some point so I thought that was also an option they were at least considering besides the 3.5/7L turbo. Ford has been selling the Ecoboost as a premium option in the US so I've been discounting any ideas of a base turbo engine. I don't want to get my hopes up of a new SVO either.

I read it in MT or C&D while waiting for my oil to be changed. It was an article about a potential Focus RS coming stateside and stated that the same engine would be used in a base Mustang.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #55
AX_FRS

Drives: 05 Ford Focus ZX4
Good read, thanks!
AX_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #56
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I read it in MT or C&D while waiting for my oil to be changed. It was an article about a potential Focus RS coming stateside and stated that the same engine would be used in a base Mustang.
Probably won't anymore with Capito gone

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015, couldhavehadav8, ecoboost, ford, mustang